Canadians in Salt Lake/Torino | Golden Skate

Canadians in Salt Lake/Torino

M

mylastduchess

Well how do you guys think, Canadians in Torion will compare vs. last Olympics

Men's
SL- Stojko (8th)
Torino- I think either Buttle or Shandu will place around (2-5)

Women's
SL- Robinson (7th)
Torino- I think this Rochette will probably plce the same range as Robinson (7-10)

Pairs
SL- S/P(2nd and then 1st)
Torino- M/B will probably beat S/P record -- just kidding (7-9)

Dance
SL-B/K(4th)
Torino- Theres a realistic chance D/L will actually beat B/K placement(2-5)

rain

Record Breaker
I think one of the guys at least will beat Stojko's 8th.
I think Rochette is a much better skater than Robinson, but the depth of the ladies field is MUCH higher now and I think your assessment may be correct. However, if there are a number of stress-related meltdowns she could fare better.
I think you're about right on with regards to pairs. Again there could be a meltdown factor and M/B could sneak in somewhere around 5-6. It will be interesting to see what the judges do with D/D. They don't have international reputation in the seniors ranks, however, they are a high-quality team. I look for them to possibly make top ten at least.
In dance the field is stacked and very tough. D/L have had great results all season, but there will be at least three teams of international reputation at the Olympics who were not in the field during the Grand Prix - B/A, F-P/M and D/V. Who knows where the judges will slot them in. B/A were world silver medalists last year, but that was with the understanding they would not be in Torino to challenge (and yes, I do think that made a difference). F-P/M were only ever so-so skaters, IMO, but they are former world champions and will be skating in front of a home crowd. I honestly have no idea what the judges will end up doing with them. D/V were always a very strong pair who did not seem to be particularly favoured by the judges. And again, after an absence from amateur competition, I'm not sure how the judges will feel about that. D/L could wind up anywhere from a surprise podium placement to 6-7.

triple twist

Rinkside
I have no faith in our pairs this year at all. Val and Craig are perhaps one of the most annoying teams I've ever watched. I dislike their skating style I don't believe they match body-wise at all, her posture and overall skating ability is not attractive to look at, at all. I don't think they smooth as a team, and more like 'one' than they do two people out there trying to perform stunts without blowing it. I just don't get the sense of them "SKATING" out there. I've yet to see a pairs team that can actually wow a crowd since Sale/Pelletier olympics.

Dube and Davison might be good in the future but for now they are incredibly boring to watch and just so stiff. They have a beautiful clean style however I hope that they improve and perhaps become canada's champs one day because they could really do a lot with intense coaching.

Joannie, if she keeps it together I think should place a top 5 if not top 6. I would love her to win the olympics, not only out of canadian love but because her style is so clean and she is beautiful skater and so athletic, but there are just ridiculous amounts of talent out there with especially the japanese skaters and their intense jumps.

Mens, maybe if Eman could keep it together as well and skate like he's got nothing to loose (hmmm) I think that he could finish on the podium. I mean he has the ability to win huge internationals, why not spark it up at the olympics. Jeff, I love you, but unless you find a special something in this new program of yours, (or old one) i just am not impressed with it. Nevertheless, I think out of the two he has more of an ability to keep his skating under control.

Dance...I really do think that they will medal...they just have to be totally clean. I do have faith!

screech

Final Flight
My predictions:
MEN
Both Jeff and Emanuel will be in the top 8. There are about 6 guys with a chance for bronze, including Jeff and Emanuel, so I think there's a good chance that one of them (likely Jeff) could nab it.

LADIES
Joannie could place in the top 7 or so if she skates well. If she's not undermarked she could be higher... Mira could make top 20 because she's so consistent, but not much higher because of her quality.

PAIRS
Val and Craig could be as high as 6th or 7th. I just keep thinking that at TEB they had the highest TES of any team in the LP (including T/M) and that will help them. Dube and Davison will likely be in the teens.

DANCE
This is tricky. I haven't seen FP/M or the Lithuanians, and who knows how FP/M will be placed, since its in Italy, but if D/L skate cleanly enough, they could just make the hugest jump ever and nab the bronze. I predict top 5 or 6 for them. Wing and Lowe will probably be around 11th or 12th or so.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Men's
SL- Stojko (8th)
Torino- Jeff Buttle will be about 5th but could be higher if Joubert, Weir, Plushy or Lambiel meltdown. Eman, I'll say 8th (he'll be down about 11th after short but bounce back with a decent free, landing the quad and the first 3 ax but popping the second axel).

Women's
SL- Robinson (7th)
Torino- I see Joannie anywhere from 5th to 8th if she skates pretty well. I'm a little concerned thta she hasn't been as 'on' this season as last. I don't think she will best Cohen or Sluty, even with PB preformances.

Pairs
Torino- I agree with M/B in lower part of top ten. They do the tricks but they don't have the magic. I was hoping that the music being made for them would bring out their artistic but it seems to be the same old, same old. They're solid as far as pairs skaters go, but they don't have the 'wow' factor needed to get them in the final flight. D/D will depend on how they skate. I can see anywhere from 8th-12th for them. I'd just like to see them do two very solid skates to show the international judges, 'we're here and we're ready to be seniors'. I think D/D have great potential for Vancouver.

Dance
SL-B/K(4th)
Torino- I was all set to slot them 4th or 5th but I see Navka/Kostamarov in 3rd after the CD at Euros so who knows?

rain

Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
Men's
SL- Stojko (8th)
Torino- Jeff Buttle will be about 5th but could be higher if Joubert, Weir, Plushy or Lambiel meltdown. Eman, I'll say 8th (he'll be down about 11th after short but bounce back with a decent free, landing the quad and the first 3 ax but popping the second axel).

Not to say you're wrong, but I'm just curious - why would you assume Weir and Joubert will likely be ahead of Buttle? Weir, in particular, has consistently finished behind Buttle of late and I'd say if both skate well (I'm guessing, no quad for either) I think Buttle comes out ahead. Joubert is a bit of a wingy factor - he hasn't skated well in about two years, but if his arsenal of jumps is back up to snuff and he has some decent choreography, he is capable of spoiling. However, just looking at competitions lately, I'd say Buttle has a better shot. Plushenko and Lambiel - now it will VERY hard for Buttle to beat either. Depends on Lambiel's quad and triple axel and Plushenko's health.

passion

On the Ice
I think Jeff Buttle has a chance of a medal.

I think Mira will come in 9th. The 3Japanese and US skaters ahead of her, Irina ahead of her, Joannie ahead of her.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mylastduchess said:
Well how do you guys think, Canadians in Torion will compare vs. last Olympics

Men's
SL- Stojko (8th)
Torino- I think either Buttle or Shandu will place around (2-5)

Women's
SL- Robinson (7th)
Torino- I think this Rochette will probably plce the same range as Robinson (7-10)

Pairs
Torino- M/B will probably beat S/P record -- just kidding (7-9)

Dance
SL-B/K(4th)
Torino- Theres a realistic chance D/L will actually beat B/K placement(2-5)

I think we will do better in ice dance - may even make the podium. It's hard to say with the men - Jeff has a better chance than Emanuel to make it to the top five. Although one never knows. Shawn Sawyer will definitley make an impression of the judges and the fans. I think Joannie may be in the top ten as you predict. Our pairs will probably have a good showing too. Hard to predict as they have not skated long together.