Best & Worst Moments or Programs at '06 USNs | Golden Skate

Best & Worst Moments or Programs at '06 USNs

BEST: Both of Stephanie Rosenthal's programs were definitely two of the best programs for me and I think for a lot of other people. So great to see that kind of enthusiasm and exhilaration in both the short and long programs of a skater. Stephanie's love of skating seemed to fill the entire arena. Definitely the hightlight I'll remember from these Nationals.

Kimmie Meissner: Although her SP wasn't so good, I was impressed with the improvements Kimmie's made in her LP. Now if she could just drop the Kimmie and start going by Kim or Kimberly.;)

Sasha Cohen: Despite the mistakes and the cautious approach, she was still exquisite. As Peggy said, she has the best choreography she's ever had, the best costumes, and she's in the best condition, her flu not withstanding. I think sometimes we focus so much on Sasha's relatively minor mistakes, though she can't make those at the Olympics, she's still one of the most gorgeous skaters I've ever seen. Her musicality just impresses the bejeezus out of me. If, at the Olympics, she can skate with the fire I've seen her skate with before, she really will be a contender.

BeBe Liang and Emily Hughes's short programs. Full of energy and power and each skater's own unique style. I loved them both in the SP.

ESPN and ABC's coverage. Big kudos for covering Nationals live and showing so many skaters we'd never see if things were taped. Dick and Peggy were Dick and Peggy, but I'm glad they pointed out Sasha's problems and it wasn't just Peggy gushing over her.

Matt Savoie's LP. Such a smooth, natural skater. He gives me chills. Wish we could have seen his SP.

Inoue & Baldwin's throw 3Axel. Nothing like watching history being made.

Tanith getting her citizenship so they can deservedly go to Turino.

Jamie Silverstein's return to health and ice dancing. She looks great and was very lucky to find a partner as good as Ryan O'Meara.

Johnny Weir's "The Swan" short program. I thought this was really a transcendant skate.

WORST: Perhaps especially because his SP was so amazing, Weir's LP was unfortunately one of the worst programs for me. I still love his skating style and the way he moves on the ice, but this program just seemed completely disconnected both from the music and within itself. Frankly, although it would be risky, I hope he dumps this music before the Olympics and either changes it or goes back to "Otonal."

Tim Goebel: Just sad. Sad, sad, sad.

Alissa Czisny: So disappointing. You know she can do it, but whatever she had at SA and SC was not at Nationals, not to mention the GPF. I really hope she and her coaches can figure out her jump problems and rectify them, because in her spins and her spirals, IMO, she's the best in the world.

Kurt and Kat: They just annoyed me no end. I love Kurt but he just seemed like he was trying too hard to be upbeat and fun as a commentator. I really wish they had continued to us Paul as the "young" commentator. Throughout the GPS and GPF, I thought Paul was great. And Kat, once she described Sasha Cohen as "the feather in 'Forrest Gump'" I knew she was going to gag me.

No Michelle. I very much hope she heals, is in top form for Turino, and brings home that elusive OGM. Third time's the charm, right?

BEST & WORST COMBINATION: Rohene Ward. Loved seeing the potential talent he has. Was so bummed that both his SP and LP tanked. I hope some of the potential offers to help him financially come through and that he can realize his talent. Great that State Farm flew his mother in. What an emotional moment seeing that hug. Rohene had been keeping it all in and he finally got to let it out, forget the camera.åç

OVERALL: Not the best or most memorable Nationals, but a lot of great skating nonetheless.

Comments from others?

Rgirl

baseballnut

Rinkside
Scott Smith Long program performance. I was so happy for. I am sure noone predicted him to be in 5 place at the end of the competition.

I was also glad for micheal Wiess to have a great final nationals.

My heart broke for tim goebel though He is a great skater.

I also feel bad for Orcher and Lucash. I really wanted them to make that Olympic team.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Some of my favorite moments:
  • Matt Savoie's skate and making the Olympic team.
  • Jamie and Ryan coming in 3rd and their reaction in the K&C.
  • Stephanie Rosenthal's creative programs - she can dance, she's fun, and the crowd really gets into it.
  • The throw triple axel.
  • Naomi Nari Nam's return.
  • Johnny skating to 'My Way' in the gala.
  • Tanith and Ben's gala performance

Not least favorite, but sad moments:
  • The poor LPs of Tim, Michael, Orscher/Lucash, and Rohene.
  • Johnny's lackluster LP.
  • Alissa Czisny - why can't she put it together at Nationals?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The best part for me was that I found a renewed interest in U.S. pairs, an interest I haven't had since Meno and Sands.........I love the "connection" that I and B have for each other and on the ice...........

The worst is that it is over for another year........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Best:

The Return of NNN

I&B's throw 3A and "the kiss"

being turned on to Rohene Ward

Jamie Silverstien's joy

Ben and Tanith's exhibition

BeBe Liangs SP

Stephanie Rosenthals SP and LP

Kimmie's LP

Knowing that if the usual Kwan had been there she would have won her 10th U.S. title (sorry but that's how I feel)

Worst:
Timmy Goebel, I miss the quad king

Alyssa's poor showing

Katy Taylor's exhibition (brought back horrible flashbacks of Tara's "Walking on Sunshine" number complete with yellow dress) PLEASE:bow: don't do that to us AGAIN!!!!

That Michelle the heart and soul of U.S. figure skating wasn't there.:cry: :cry: :cry:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I thought Michael's skate was pretty good! Matt still deserved the third spot, but Mike's program was nothing to be ashamed about, for sure. Tim Goebel's, on the other hand...

Rgirl said:
WORST: Perhaps especially because his SP was so amazing, Weir's LP was unfortunately one of the worst programs for me. I still love his skating style and the way he moves on the ice, but this program just seemed completely disconnected both from the music and within itself. Frankly, although it would be risky, I hope he dumps this music before the Olympics and either changes it or goes back to "Otonal."
Maybe too late for new music, so Otonal gets my vote. The trouble with techo-classic (I have the same objection to Irina's/Michelle's short program music) is that the sameness of the driving beat destroys whatever it was the original composer was trying to accomplish. This in turn gives you nothing to hang your choreographic hat on.

To me, Johnny is one of the two competitive skaters (Michelle is the other) who, when he is "on," can cast a spell over the audience and show us a vision of a new and better world. His triple Axel can look like an invisible angel is lifting him into the air.

The difference is that with Michelle, she takes us with her. With Johnny, he at least lets us see from the outside the magical kingdom that he has created in his imagination.

Michelle never fails, at least for me. So with Johnny, it's kind of a letdown when he doesn't get into that zone.

MM :)

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
OT, Johnny is a skater who really like to take chances and be unique. Sometimes he succeeds spectacularly (his Swan Lake SP), other times he bombs out (his LP). I wish he would make a drastic change, but I fear it is too late in the season now. He could skate that program to perfection and I bet it still wouldn't place any better than 5th in an international competition.

Vash01

Medalist
I don't understand the negative comments about Johnny's LP. He received a standing ovation and he was visibly happy with his performance. He made one mistake on the second triple axel (and he repeated the combination). There was just one space in the program- after the first 3 jumping passes- where he could have added something. Other than that it was an excellent skate and the program works for him. It is not Otonal but it is still very good. He skated conservatively, and he will probably add more difficulty for the Olys because his technical marks were shockingly low.

My major disappointments: LP's of Rohene Ward (I have never seen such a complete melt down), Alissa Czisny, Bebe Liang and Tim Goebel. The (past) quad king could not land a single triple axel in this competition. I was disappointed for Katy and Garret (too many mistakes, and missing a chance to go to the Olympics) and for Michael Weiss because he skated two excellent programs.

High lights: I&B's throw triple axel- the arena exploded when she landed it. John milked it a bit too much for my liking but they totally deserved the adulation.

Matt Savoie's LP was mesmerizing until the fall toward the end, but still very good. Nice to see him make the team.

Scott Smith's LP was great. He landed a clean quad sal chow and everything else was clean. He needs better choregography and improved spins to move to the top.

Stephanie Rosenthal- both programs were a joy to watch. Who cares about a placement? It is nice to see someone thinking out of the box.

Naomi Nari Nam as a pairs skater- she looked strong. I hope she and her partner can progress and win medals at worlds in the future. It was great to see two clean performances from them.

Bebe Liang's SP performance was dynamite.

Hinzman & Parchem's SP was very good although she fell on the sbs jumps.

I was absolutely thrilled with Silverstein-O'Meara placing 3rd after the FD. What a great comeback for Jamie!

Tommy Steenberg- 17 year old- skated a clean LP with a 3loop-3loop combination. He was also one of those receiving scholastic honors. I hope to see him progress and do even better in the future.

Other impressions:

A lot of the junior pairs are doing sbs double loops so we are likely to see sbs triple loops/flips/lutzes in the senior ranks before the next Olympics.

Many pairs are already doing/trying sbs triple salchows, so we may not see many sbs triple toe loops after the next 2-3 years.

All programs look nearly the same, thanks to the COP. I would like to see more skaters like Stephanie Rosenthal being creative.

Vash

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I don't understand the negative comments about Johnny's LP.
I didn't like the music nor did I see the connection between the choreography and the music. Johnny skated the program well, but it isn't a good program. The judges agreed -- Weir built up a big lead after his SP (9 pt. lead on Evan, 11 point lead over Matt), but he finished third in the free skate and only managed to edge them out 225.34 to 224.47 (Lysacek) and 222.36 (Savoie). This is in spite of the fact that Johnny skated well, while Evan and Matt had visible errors. We haven't seen the scoresheets yet, but the obvious conclusion is the judges didn't like the program and neither did I.

Heading To Turin

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
You're all mad. The greatest moment at the competition, (and probably in the history of figure skating) was the face that that Zukowski chick made in the kiss 'n cry area. :biggrin: Nicole Bobek will probably be retiring soon, and I'm glad we've finally found a suitable replacement (at least personality-wise). I am now going to perform a frantic search of Yahoo's photo section to see if I can find a snapshot of it to blow up and use as a screensaver. It just might help ward off evil spirits.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
ABSOLUTELY THE FUNNIEST MOMENTS:

* Johnny Weir's answer to Peter Carruthers' question, following the SP. Peter: "What are you going to do now, between the SP and Saturday's finals?" Johnny: "I'm going to DisneyWorld!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

* Katy Taylor talking about saving-up $3,000 for her hot-pink Hummer. "I only have $27,000 to go [to buy it]." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

* Dick Button yahking-on about Johnny's 'The Swan' SP having been choreographed for a great female ballerina Pavlova, etc, etc. He did all but state "And now Johnny is the ballerina."

CHEESIEST DR. PHIL-OPRAH MOMENT:

* The whole Rohene Ward bomb-out fiasco with momma standing by. So U.S. Nationals has been reduced to this Reality-TV gimmick?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
baseballnut said:
Scott Smith Long program performance. I was so happy for. I am sure noone predicted him to be in 5 place at the end of the competition.

I was also glad for micheal Wiess to have a great final nationals.

My heart broke for tim goebel though He is a great skater.

I also feel bad for Orcher and Lucash. I really wanted them to make that Olympic team.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

And
The Return of NNN

I&B's throw 3A and "the kiss"

being turned on to Rohene Ward

Stephanie Rosenthals SP and LP

I was so thrilled to see John's and Rena's joy. We watched the medal ceremony and after they took their first bows, as they skated around to the medal stand, the lady behind me did a big "Way to go John!". He acknowledged it and mostioned toward Rena like, "She's the one that landed it!", so seconds later I let loose with a "Go Rena!". It was so neat.

Michael Weiss taking pictures at the men's medal ceremony. It was his last Nats and maybe his last competition, and he just went out to have fun. He took pics of the audience and pics of the photographers taking pics of him. It was so cool.:agree:

The Jr. Men's long. I am thrilled with the second place finisher's results. (I can't remember his name.) I'll definately be watching him in the years to come.

I am really bummed that Rohene fell apart in the long. He was so good in practice. He's obviously in great shape and man, that hair! Somebody break out the drool buckets! I'd love to have hair that nice!

I know I have more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Nan and Leftheris get my vote for the best surprise of the Nats. I think they will be special next season. Just look at what they did in nine months?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I enjoyed the "scream contest" (S & O'M on learning they made the team vs. Tara)

Other high points (IMO)

The "comeback kid" -- NNN
The history makers -- I & B
Stephanie Rosenthal

Low Point -- Kwan's absence.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
RGirl

BEST -

Stephanie's SP. Great, fun, true hip hop dancing on ice. Loved it and there was no cheeze!

Matt's LP: lump in the throat, time-standing-still genuine skating moments. Smooth, honest and that 3A 3T - whew!

Seeing Sasha step up to the plate and put down a strong, elegant, consistent program. What's that?! Light breaking through the clouds in Torino?

WORST -

The view of Angela in the stands - alone. I don't wish to put her under a dark cloud, but she just seems star-crossed to me. Let's hope for a better 2006 for her!

Tim - ITA RGirl sad. sad. sad. especially his cry, "I don't know what's wrong with me?" I know I could not stand the public scrutiny and private dissapointment.

MY TAKE ON THE NATS
Skating is alive in the US and people STILL seem to care about the sport: keeping it fresh, keeping it honest. It still matters somehow.

During this difficult time in the world, there is still something beautiful and wonderfully human happening on ice around the world.

Tenorguy

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Another "best" for me: seeing the Jr. men's and dance and pairs comps and knowing that some really good skaters are going to (hopefully) move up in the coming years. I really hope that most of those skaters stick with it and kick butt as seniors. It gives me hope for the future.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
HIGHPOINT - Sasha skating a beautiful LP. And winning.

LOWPOINT - Emily getting kicked off the team for someone who didn't even compete at Nationals.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
High Points:
Of course, I&Bs throw 3x. Watching history made is inspiring.
H&P short program - lots of potential
N&L - Naomi welcome back - we missed you.
V&T - Fun programs with interesting chore and lifts etc!
Sasha skating 2 solid programs - even if she was sick.
Kimmie not trying the 3x.
Matt Savoie getting the reward
Ryan Bradley's SP - fun, fun fun!
Johnny putting himself back together this year.\
Tanith and Ben - just amazing beginning to end. So well-trained

Jrs:
A lot of technically difficult programs by both the ladies and men and not a lot of splat fests. Highlights: Megan Hyatt's LP and Rachael Flatts SP -- good stuff! Namotka/Couglin's connection with the audience, wow for Jrs. Moyle/Sietz's technical proficiency in the throws. The top 4 Jr Men were really amazing and are going to add some fire to senior ranks if they move up.

Novices - Didnt see it all but the highlights were: Eliot Halvorson's musicality and spins. Mroz's jump technique. Brammeier's flow and spins and the fact that she looks like a woman not a pixie out there.