Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen, "No Longer a Bridesmaid"

SkateFan4Life

Sasha Cohen, "No Longer a Bridesmaid"

Here is a link to the USFSA story on Sasha Cohen's winning the US title:

http://stlouis2006.usfigureskating.o...FreeSkate.aspx

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=SkateFan4Life]Here is a link to the USFSA story on Sasha Cohen's winning the US title:

http://stlouis2006.usfigureskating.o...FreeSkate.aspx[/QUOTE}

Nice. But reality is no one challenged her, even though she was weakened by the "flu".

She's the 2006 United States National Champion. No asterisk, no flu, no Michelle about it.

I take my hat off to her with no reservations!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    She's the 2006 United States National Champion. No asterisk, no flu, no Michelle about it.

I take my hat off to her with no reservations!

MM
    Same here! I want all of the US ladies to have great skates in Torino! Let me extend that. May all of the competitors do their best, & please, let there be fair judging!!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Very interesting title for the article. I disagree with this quote.
    In the past her nemesis has been Michelle Kwan.
    I think the nemesis has been Sasha, herself. One of the things that really made this Nationals rather less exciting for me was all the stuff about Michelle. Don't get me wrong, I very much respect her skating but the whole Nationals should not have centered around Michelle. For instance why couldn't the article's title be.........Sasha Cohen US Champion and write the article about the new US Champion and leave all that other stuff out.

Just let Sasha have her moment

Dee

Custom Title
    Maybe finally winning a big title will shake the monkey off of Sasha's back b/c she was finally able to deliver and win what she was favored to win.

Though this Sasha performance was the most unenjoyable performance for me to sit through. I don't think I've ever seen her so nervous and she is one of the more nervous skaters. I was (as she was as well), relieved that she got through that program.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Very interesting title for the article. I disagree with this quote.

I think the nemesis has been Sasha, herself. One of the things that really made this Nationals rather less exciting for me was all the stuff about Michelle. Don't get me wrong, I very much respect her skating but the whole Nationals should not have centered around Michelle. For instance why couldn't the article's title be.........Sasha Cohen US Champion and write the article about the new US Champion and leave all that other stuff out.

Just let Sasha have her moment

Dee
    Good points. IMHO, Sasha has been her worst enemy in the sense that she hasn't had the confidence to believe in her wonderful skating ability. She just needs to go out there and SKATE, and she will win any competition she's in, regardless of who the competitors are.

Custom Title
    I just wish Sasha could've won her title with a clean FS. (sigh!)

Custom Title

My Opinion

I no longer care about a clean skate from Sasha. Don't get me wrong, it would be wonderful to see one, but she is so gifted, I just enjoy the whole performance. She is very special. With skating going where it's going anyway, i think clean programs will be a thing of the past, especially for women.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Maybe finally winning a big title will shake the monkey off of Sasha's back b/c she was finally able to deliver and win what she was favored to win.

Though this Sasha performance was the most unenjoyable performance for me to sit through. I don't think I've ever seen her so nervous and she is one of the more nervous skaters. I was (as she was as well), relieved that she got through that program.

What a wonderful world it would be if everybody and everything we and other people did was perfect.

PERFECTION:

Perhaps sometimes she slips a bit-
    Well so have you.
    Perhaps sometimes she ought to quit-
    Well, so should you.
    Perhaps she might have faltered-why,
    Why, all people do, and so have I.
    You must admit (unless you lie)
    That so have you.
    Perhaps, if we should stop and think,
    When painting someone black with ink,
    As some folks do,
    Perhaps if we would recollect,
    Perfection we would not expect
    But just a girl half-way correct,
    Like me and you.

Lets look at all the skaters, none of them are perfect. You may think they are but they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    With skating going where it's going anyway, i think clean programs will be a thing of the past, especially for women.
    Sadly, I agree with this assessment. I keep hoping that as the sun sets on eligible skating, maybe pro skating can be resurrected in some form.

Millie, nice poem.

MM

SkateFan4Life
    Let's be realistic - it's pretty hard to skate a perfect long program when you land seven triple jumps, perform a variety of spins with all sorts of positions, have a length-of-the-rink footwork sequence, spiral sequence, and other assorted moves. It can be done, but it's not easy, even for the best skaters out there.

Custom Title
    Millie, nice poem.

MM [/QUOTE]

Hey MM, I'm a poet and don't know it. Thanks, I will write a nice poem for Michelle soon.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    I just wish Sasha could've won her title with a clean FS. (sigh!)
    I think most people have already resigned themselves to the idea that new US Nats champ* Cohen will never skate clean. A scary thought especially since she's going to the Olympics. One expects more from a reigning US Nats champ*. But then again, she might just get lucky if Irina falters and the judges can't find enough ways to hold Irina up.
    Last edited by havanamesa1; 01-18-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Custom Title
    Well Kristi Yamaguchi only had one clean skate in her entire competitive career (Nats 1992). Everywhere else (at least Worlds and Olympics) she had one fall. So I don't care whether Sasha has a clean skate or not. Only Michelle has had numerous clean skates over her career. I don't think any other skater comes close so I don't understand what is the obsession for Sasha to skate clean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast