Sasha Cohen, "No Longer a Bridesmaid" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen, "No Longer a Bridesmaid"

soogar

Record Breaker
purplecat said:
Very untrue. Kristi did clean free programs in the 1990 Skate America and 1989 Nationals. And she had many programs where she did not skate totally clean, but did not fall including the 1991 Worlds (single salchow, NOT a fall). Plus she almost always did a clean short program.

Now getting back to Sasha, I agree that the obsession with having her skate clean is overblown since the majority of skaters do not skate clean. After all the falls in the U.S. Ladies' free skates, I don't think we should be complaining that Sasha had two step outs. Congrats to Sasha! I think she did great! :clap:

Back then, three was only one req'd triple in the SP so that wasn't a hard program to skate clean. Heck, Nancy was great at skating SPs too. Either way, only Michelle has skated numerous perfect programs. No other skater can match this accomplishment. And before Michelle, no other skater was held to this standard. I never heard commentators gasp or Oh! after Kristi made a mistake and she has made her share of them. Whenever I watch Sasha skate, as soon as she does anything you can hear the winds sucking out of Dick and Peggy's sails. I would bet that in Sasha's mind as she competes, she probably "mentally hears" the gasps from Dick and Peggy when she makes a mistake b/c they've been doing it for so long.

For myself, I would rather see Sasha attack her free skate and pick up after a fall than skate so nervously and cautiously. Obviously it would be great if she can skate perfect, but ironically she has a better shot at skating perfect if she let go of the expectation of a medal or a perfect performance and just enjoyed her program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
curious said:
Irina has skated clean programs unlike sasha. Sasha has to skate well and not expect the best to faulter to have a chance of winning gold cause it won't work:biggrin:

...and your point being...?

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
For myself, I would rather see Sasha attack her free skate and pick up after a fall than skate so nervously and cautiously. Obviously it would be great if she can skate perfect, but ironically she has a better shot at skating perfect if she let go of the expectation of a medal or a perfect performance and just enjoyed her program.

I get the feeling she's headed in this direction. Too bad being ill *possibly* prevented her from going all out at Nats (who knows, maybe she did the best she could at that point). I'm not sure how the nerves will hold up in Torino, but I think should she choose to continue skating afterward, good things might happen to her.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
soogar said:
Back then, three was only one req'd triple in the SP so that wasn't a hard program to skate clean. Heck, Nancy was great at skating SPs too. Either way, only Michelle has skated numerous perfect programs. No other skater can match this accomplishment. And before Michelle, no other skater was held to this standard. I never heard commentators gasp or Oh! after Kristi made a mistake and she has made her share of them.

Soogar, I'm wasn't saying Kristi's skated more clean programs than Michelle. I'm simply saying you're original statement that Kristi has only skated clean once and fell in every program other that that was a complete falsehood. That's what I wanted to correct. But this is getting off-topic and besides the point. I agree with you about perfection in skating. Which IS the point. There are several performances from several skaters which I love that weren't perfect at all, but that had that something special. And several performances that were "clean", but just weren't as enjoyable.

Last edited: