Sasha wasn't the only one battling illness at Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha wasn't the only one battling illness at Nationals

scuttlebutt99

Rinkside
Quoted by Red Dog
"talking about her, sure...and a good half of those posts are against her, too."

That is because you are soooooo active in this area.

R.D.

Record Breaker
scuttlebutt99 said:
That is because you are soooooo active in this area.

Huh? I don't think I've ever bashed her. I would be curious to be shown any posts that contradict my statement.

Excidra- so right...:laugh:

scuttlebutt99

Rinkside
Red Dog
"Huh? I don't think I've ever bashed her. I would be curious to be shown any posts that contradict my statement. "

I am really busy now but I will go through the exercise one of these days and will respond to your challenge. ;)

S

SkateFan4Life

OK, guys, does anyone out there remember that Linda Fratianne of the US won her first World title back in 1977 while she was battling the flu? She had a temperature of 102, and she even fell on one of her jumps, but otherwise she skated very, very well.

And in those days the competition consisted of three phases - compulsory school figures, short program, and long program.

Can you imagine trying to trace perfect figure eights with a fever and the flu?

Well, done, Linda! :bow:

I don't think anyone is considering the contest. It was not a battle for first place. regardless of any illnesses, Sasha was expected to win easily. She did.

With the expectation of Kwan getting the bye, the 4 ladies in waiting were battling it out for a trip to Torino. Except for Emily's SP, there was no brilliant skating among the 4 at the conclusion. While I was hoping for Bebe, I can not complain that Kimmie got the bronze and the trip to Torino.

I don't find illness as anything concerning the outcome of the event.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I don't think anyone is considering the contest. It was not a battle for first place. regardless of any illnesses, Sasha was expected to win easily. She did.

With the expectation of Kwan getting the bye, the 4 ladies in waiting were battling it out for a trip to Torino. Except for Emily's SP, there was no brilliant skating among the 4 at the conclusion. While I was hoping for Bebe, I can not complain that Kimmie got the bronze and the trip to Torino.

I don't find illness as anything concerning the outcome of the event.

Joe

Hi Joe, not to nitpick, but Kimmie won silver, not bronze, at Nationals. :biggrin:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Last evening, during the broadcast of the ladie's long program at Nationals, it was stated that Kimmie Meissner, who eventually won the silver medal, had been battling a nasty cold all week. Kimmie skated well, if a bit cautiously, and she fell on her final jump, a double axel. She looked a bit winded at the end of the program, and she then said she had been ill for a number of days and had to guts it out to skate a good long program.

The thing was, she didn't even have to have that final 2A that she fell on. It looked that way to us, anyway.

There was another skater, I think in Juniors?, who had food poisioning but competed anyway. I don't remember who it was, but I saw an article about it.

soogar

Record Breaker
childfreegirl said:
The thing was, she didn't even have to have that final 2A that she fell on. It looked that way to us, anyway.

There was another skater, I think in Juniors?, who had food poisioning but competed anyway. I don't remember who it was, but I saw an article about it.

She did need that final axel b/c the LP must have an axel jump in it or else there will be a deduction. I don't recall Kimmie doing an axel type jump earlier in her program so she needed it.

Jhar55

Medalist
Well it wasn't just the skaters who were sick, a lady sitting next to me was sick Saturday and I had to come home early Sunday for the same reason.(and it wasn't from drinking prune juice) what I get for sneeking my cans of coke in :laugh:

millie

Medalist
I wasn't sick then, but I am sure sick now. Sick of people talking about Sasha's sickness. Sasha said she was sick, kimmie was sick, the lady in the first row was sick, the junior figure skater was sick. What difference does it make that it was reported that Sasha was sick and not reported that Kimmie was sick. With Sasha being sick and all, the bottom line is that she won Nationals being sick. Kimmie won the silver being sick and the lady that got sick probably went home because she was sick and had a good rest. The main thing is that they are all feeling better and that they are not sick anymore. Now that sum the whole thread up. Everybody feeling better.:rofl: :rofl: couldn't resist-the devil made me do it.
Let's hope that no one gets sick drinking prune juice, if they do, blame it on John King.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Peggy mentioned that Kimmie was recovering from a cold.

I'm sure we'll hear about sick atheletes at the Olympics, too.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It would have been impossible for anyone not to notice that Cohen was ill if they spoke to her. Her voice was still off during her post-performance interview.

Re: food poisoning: Everything the skaters eat doesn't come from the hotel.

S

SkateFan4Life

heyang said:
Peggy mentioned that Kimmie was recovering from a cold.

I'm sure we'll hear about sick atheletes at the Olympics, too.

I certainly hope we don't have another situation such as what happened to US skater Caryn Kadavy at Calgary. She was the reigning World and US bronze medalist heading into the Olympics. She came down with the flu during the second week of competition, and she was forced to withdraw just prior to the women's long program. When the announcement of her withdrawal was made, everyone in the Saddledome groaned. What a tragedy for her!