Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto's Patriotic Exhibition

SkateFan4Life

Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto's Patriotic Exhibition

Tanith and Ben just skated to a medley of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" and Ray Charles "America". She was dressed in a sort of American flag costume, and they used a full-sized American flag during the number. When they finished the routine, they took their bows, holding the flag fully extended between them.

Go, USA!

It is there way of saying thank you for her citizenship.

It was a wonderful skate. But, I hope they use something different at the olympics. I hate the use of Political statements during the games.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    A odd pair of songs to combine...the Boss's chronicle of the dreadful treatment of veterans following Vietnam (and we are not doing that much better with the Iraq war veterans), repeating Born In the USA, which Tanith was not????? with Ray Charles' beautiful song...

Oh well, there's nothing like a new citizen to be very patriotic. I do hope they have a different one for Turin, supposing they make the gala, which I DO hope they do.

Rogue Leader
    I agree that Born in the USA is hardly a patriotic song. I also hope they use something different for Torino. Patriotic skates bug me in general, but they really don't work when being performed in a different country.

Custom Title

Hmmm

I liked it but I agree about the Bruce Springsteen part. I wonder if they understand what that song is all about?? Also, this is absolutely not a shot about Tanith, who i like very much, but what must the Canadians think about that exhibition? Does she retain dual citizenship?

I think the "BITUSA" part was just pertaining to Ben beause he was BITUSA. If you notice the only lyrics that were played were BITUSA,. Then when Tanith came out it was the Canadian band The Guess Who singing "American Woman" which Tanith is now. Then together they skated to Ray Charles' "America". So as I understood it the guy BITUSA and the Canadian-American Woman (she has dual citizenship) skated together to "America".. I loved it but agree not for an international audience. But please no Green Acres.

Custom Title
    Well, the way I saw it is that only Ben was performing for Born in the USA (which he was). She came out when Lenny Kravitz did American woman (which is what she is now). Both danced to Ray Charles. I understood the overall theme that they were going with, but it was a bit on the cheesy-shmaltzy side - not sure these are the correct words.

I found it touching when the flag crew from the stands handed the flag to Tanith during the victory lap of the champions following the medal ceremony (I got a nice photo of that one!). I even got a bit of a tear in my eye..I thought of the day when I was sworn in. And I am not the the sentimental/crying kind. However, I couldn't get why the flag crew were giving flags to other gold medalsts. Everyone is American here, you know???

Yaana you're right it was Lenny Kravitz version. Thanks!

Custom Title
    Do not use MY National flag as a prop

Apparently, the 2-week old U.S. citizen was not clear as how to respect the U.S Flag. She allowed the flag to drop to the ice!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Yaana you're right it was Lenny Kravitz version. Thanks!
    Hey Piel we posted the same thing at the same time ) How funny is that!

Yana

Great minds......

Custom Title
    I liked the exhibition right up until the flag. That was a bit too much for me.

Banned
    I guess I really don't care that they skated to those songs, but I do not like her costume at all! She looks like Wonder Woman's slutty little sister. Fab body, or course, but she still looked trashy! I don't like that kind of look on anyone, especially not when you destroy the flag to do it!

Custom Title
    I enjoyed Tanith and Ben's exhibition very much. I believe that for her, just recently becoming an American citizen, must still be very much in her heart and that's why I think they chose the program, clothes, flag. I think it was quite appropriate to skate it here in the U.S. In international competition and exhibitions it would be a totally different thing. Congratulations Tanith on becoming an American citizen and I wish you and Ben all the best in the Olympics!

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    I guess I really don't care that they skated to those songs, but I do not like her costume at all! She looks like Wonder Woman's slutty little sister. Fab body, or course, but she still looked trashy! I don't like that kind of look on anyone, especially not when you destroy the flag to do it!
    I was thinking, "Wonder Woman", too, when I saw it. lol

I think instead pf the regular size flag, they should have had her holding one of the larger flags that are attached to a stick. jmo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast