Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto's Patriotic Exhibition

Skater Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    I guess I really don't care that they skated to those songs, but I do not like her costume at all! She looks like Wonder Woman's slutty little sister. Fab body, or course, but she still looked trashy! I don't like that kind of look on anyone, especially not when you destroy the flag to do it!
    For once I totally agree with you. IMO Tanith was being very disrespectful dressing like that and the two of them manhandling the American flag... oy. Made me really annoyed at them both!

Tanith's costume was just fine. COI a couple of years ago had the entire cast in various stars and stripes costumes....which is different than costumes that are actually sewn out of a flag. Tanith's was obviously not made from a flag...the blue was a different color and the stars were much bigger., and the stripes were totally different from the stripes on the flag. So NO FLAGS were destroyed to make Tanith's costume. I think the girl was celebrating and embracing her new citizenship in an appropriate way. You could tell that they were trying to keep the flag off of the ice. Someone dancing or skating with the flag in a joyful manner doesn't bother me at all. If you want to get worked up about disrespecting the flag then worry about all of the killing and government misconduct that goes on in the name of the flag. The audience seemed to appreciate her performance. And since when is showing a navel trashy? She wasn't at church she was performing.:sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh:

I also think that Tanith and Ben were quite careful with the flag - I think one corner touched the ice at one point, but they clearly make efforts to handle it respectfully. How anyone who actually watches ice dancing could think of Tanith's exhibition costume as trashy is bizarre to me. In the ice dancing continuum, it was practically a church outfit!

I loved the opening of the program - the joyfulness, and the (probably unintended but still present) in-your-face-ness of it. Once they got to the song "America" and got the flag, I thought it was a bit sappy, but I think the program really was a big ol' thank you from Tanith and Ben to their supporters, and an expression of how excited they are to be representing the USA in Torino. I don't think we'll be seeing this exhibition at the Olys.

Custom Title
    I find patriotic exhibitions cheesy, unless there is an occasion for them, like a memorial, fund raiser, tribute, etc. Dressing in the flag seems particularly distasteful to me.

Vash

Vash I think this was such an occasion. It was a send off for the American team to the Olympics. Her costume wasn't the flag it just had stars and stripes on it....there is a difference. Dance troops all over the place have stars and stripes, and red, white, and blue costumes. Look at the ladies gymnastics team's leotards, the swim team's speedos and caps, track teams... it is used to identify them as Americans. I really think that it is meant as an expression of pride.

Vash, if you don't like cheesy displays of patriotism, I assume you won't be watching the Olympics, LOL.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-16-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Patriotic tunes killed Weiss' chance for medal at the Dortmund Worlds.

Joe

No problem with patriotic theme as long as it done well (e.g. Irina's 2005 Worlds exhibition to a pop song "Made In Russia"). This was much better than the exhibition Gregory & Petukhov did to "God Bless America". I think finding anything disrespectful in their Tanith & Ben's performance is a huge stretch. I do, though, agree, that they would have been better off not bringing the flag onto the ice.

Custom Title

Wearing a flag

Was it Abby Hoffman who went to court to win for all Americans the right to wear a flag?

I may not agree with what it says, but I defend the right to say it.

Linny

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Vash, if you don't like cheesy displays of patriotism, I assume you won't be watching the Olympics, LOL.

MM
    I am not patriotic when it comes to figure skating, so I will be cheering for the best skaters, regardless of nationality. The Olympics do involve national pride for many, and I did cheer for our skaters loudly at the SLC Olympics, but I still prefer that they leave out obviously patriotic themes. I applaud the skating, regardless of what country the skaters are from. I am somewhat patriotic in other sports like the downhill, speed skating, hockey, etc. probably because I don't really know much about those sports. Otherwise I may be applauding the best athletes.

I did not much care for Kristi's patriotic exhibition number at the 1992 Oly exhibition either. As much as I love her, the costume looked a bit silly. However, in her case she may have chosen that because of her ethnicity- just to send a message that she was an American.

Vash

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther2000
    It is there way of saying thank you for her citizenship.

It was a wonderful skate. But, I hope they use something different at the olympics. I hate the use of Political statements during the games.
    Of course. This was their way of acknowleding that Tanith is now an American citizen. I forgot one more musical piece from their exhibition - "American Woman". Appropriate!

A piece such as "America the Beautiful" is appropriate in any occasion, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure some might consider that to be too political. Frankly, sometimes I think we all carry the political correctness thing a tad too far.

Anyway, good luck to Tanith and Ben! Go for it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    No problem with patriotic theme as long as it done well (e.g. Irina's 2005 Worlds exhibition to a pop song "Made In Russia"). This was much better than the exhibition Gregory & Petukhov did to "God Bless America". I think finding anything disrespectful in their Tanith & Ben's performance is a huge stretch. I do, though, agree, that they would have been better off not bringing the flag onto the ice.
    I thought G&P's "God Bless America" was beautiful, and far more enjoyable than B&A's display of patriotism. I am in no way OFFENDED by B&A's program, I just liked G&P's better, it was softer, smoother, more lyrical, and thats just what I like. I still just don't like Tanith's costume.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Tanith's costume was just fine. COI a couple of years ago had the entire cast in various stars and stripes costumes....which is different than costumes that are actually sewn out of a flag. Tanith's was obviously not made from a flag...the blue was a different color and the stars were much bigger., and the stripes were totally different from the stripes on the flag. So NO FLAGS were destroyed to make Tanith's costume. I think the girl was celebrating and embracing her new citizenship in an appropriate way. You could tell that they were trying to keep the flag off of the ice. Someone dancing or skating with the flag in a joyful manner doesn't bother me at all. If you want to get worked up about disrespecting the flag then worry about all of the killing and government misconduct that goes on in the name of the flag. The audience seemed to appreciate her performance. And since when is showing a navel trashy? She wasn't at church she was performing.:sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh:
    If it were just her navel, that would be one thing, but it was about 12 inches of flesh showing! It just does not look appropriate for skating, IMHO, it looks like beachwear. And I don't care for all of COI's "Lets make all the girls look like sluts" 2 piece outfits, either.

[CENTER]Click HERE to see the Kodak moment.[/CENTER]

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Worst use of a flag award would go to all those idiots who stuck little flags on plastic sticks to the sides of their cars. After a while, the flags deteriorate, fall off, endanger the lives of other drivers, and are pounded to dust on the pavement (which is no way to treat the flag, which is not supposed to be allowed to touch the ground). Tanith did nothing but celebrate that while Ben is 'Born in the USA' she is now too an "American Woman". But if I were them, I'd do their exhibition in Europe to something else...maybe Imagine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast