Pink gas guzzler????? | Golden Skate

Pink gas guzzler?????

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Could someone enlighten me what on earth was that all about? I was not watching most of the ABC coverage (since I was there live!!!!!!!) but I did watch the exhibition piece. Katy Taylor seems to want one and Terry and Peggy mentioned that it was featured at least 3 times during the championship coverage.

Thanks!

On the network coverage, they did the world's silliest fluff piece on Katy Taylor, making her look like an adolescent space cadet. She said she wanted a pink Hummer, when she was old enugh to drive (she turns 16 in a month).

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Thanks...

I guess she is from TX so I understand her facination with huge cars :biggrin: Do you guys notice that the smaller the driver, the bigger car they want/have? My best friend is just under 5 feet tall and she just loves her huge Toyota Land Cruiser (also known as the tank :) )

But pink Hummer???

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was thinking during that entire piece on Katy wanting a Hummer, you know, really, the last place I would want to be is on the same road with a 16-year-old driving a glorified Army tank......

rain

Record Breaker
Here's my comment copied from another thread where I posted it Saturday:

The ABC coverage is horrible. A full HOUR of fluff before ANY of the skating. Appalling, absolutely appalling. And the pieces....shudder. Katy Taylor waxing poetic about her barbie dream hummer? Is that supposed to make me like her? I actually enjoyed her skate, but can't bring myself to have much respect for her immature gas guzzling fantasies - didn't do her any favours. Has the girl not heard of global warming? The rising price of oil? The need to protect the environment? It wasn't cute. It just made her look spoiled and vapid.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought this piece was terrible.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh geez. You can NEVER please skating fans. Yes, I got a little bored with the fluff pieces. But they showed LIVE coverage of the final TWO groups! I think it was 10 skaters (as opposed to 5 or 6). Plus on ESPN, they showed 14 SPs! I thought the coverage was a great improvement over past broadcasts. My only complaint is that ABC did not show the medal ceremony. They should have- or at least if they couldn't show it live, show it the next day before the exhibitions (sort of like they did for the US OGM ceremony). But other than that, I thought it was very good. Fewer commercial breaks. Live coverage- can't get much better than that. Hats off to them, actually.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed Katy's skating during the competition & exhibition (I thought she was going to skate to "Walking on Sunshine," just like Tara did in 1997 - judging from that costume). Katy seems to have a very bubbly personality, but I cringed when everytime they made reference to the Hummer. :no: Let's see more skating, please!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I've got all the TV coverage Tivo'd, but haven't watched up to the "pink hummer fluff" yet. What were the TV people thinking to even ask a 15 year old about what car they want - at least if they expected some sort of mature, intelligent answer? We all ought to do an expreriment - all of us go ask 10 random 15 year olds what kind of vehicle they want when they are 16 and see what sort of array of answers we get. I would guess the number of well thought out, mature answers would be minimal. (could be wrong though)

To me it's sad that they did a fluff piece that from the sound of it, might portray her in some sort of bimbo light. My impression of her from practices and warm ups, and watching her determination during performances is that she is working really hard, and she very well could be a future contender. Now that impression could be totally wrong...and maybe she really is a bimbo. (or bimbette? is a that a new word for bimbo in training? ;))

Anyway, I realize I'm commenting prematurely since I haven't seen this particular fluff stuff yet...but LOL when has that ever stopped me?? :)

DG

ATW27

On the Ice
I do not think they protrayed Katy as a "bimbo", if my understanding of the word is correct; just as a typical perky 16 year old girl of today who just happens to want a hot pink Hummer.
Mind you, I'm not exactly crazy about the whole thing, from the gas mileage of a vehicle like that, to the hot pink part. But then again, it's her dream, not mine, or anyone elses (that I know of). But c'mon, when you where a teenager in high school, weren't there things that you wanted that were, in hindsight, a little crazy or weird?

Andy W.

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Doggygirl said:
Now that impression could be totally wrong...and maybe she really is a bimbo. (or bimbette? is a that a new word for bimbo in training? ;))
DG

How about "bimbina"? Baby bimbo?
Personally, I want a pink tank. Not just a Hummer, an actual TANK. It would take ages to get to work every morning, but at least people would get the heck out of my way! :biggrin:
xoxo
Rave

millie

Medalist
According to The Today Show, a maker of the Hummer, delivered a pink Hummer to Kathy. The parked it in her driveway.(Value $80,000)

millie said:
According to The Today Show, a maker of the Hummer, delivered a pink Hummer to Kathy. They parked it in her driveway.(Value $80,000)
Wow, that's cool. If it was the manufacturer who made the gift, that's General Motors. I wonder if they are looking towards an endorsement contract somewhere down the line. Katy certainly fits the pixie-ballerina look, like Sasha. She would be very marketable if she starts winning titles in a year or two.

I don't think "bimbo" is the right word. That usually means vacant-headed and oversexed. The piece on Katy just made her seem awfully, awfully young.

MM :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My favorite niece was making out her Christmas list when she was about 7 and wanted to know how to spell Lamborghini "because she wanted a red one". On further questioning she was fully aware that she wouldn't be able to drive it but "someone else could drive her around in it". I told her sorry, if she was unable to spell it she was too young to have it. She replied "I guess I'll just take a red Percedes (with a P) then"

What I liked about Katy's story was that she said that she" had saved $3000.00 and she only had $27,000.00 more to go and she knew she could do it!" She did say that she wanted one when she was old enough and had the money.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Oh, let's face it. The girl is the living and breathing embodiment of all things blonde. :biggrin:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
So Katy got her pink Hummer? Good for her. How did I miss that? I was watching Today show yesterday and saw only Kimmie's interview.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Considering she went a little crazy after seeing a hummer on the bus ride to the arena and taking photos with her camera phone and texting friends about it I highly doubt ABC/ESPN had to work hard to make her into a stereotypical blonde 16 year old :laugh:

she is cute and very talented... but teh pink hummer was a bit much lol

Frau Muller

Final Flight
If Katy goes to Four Continents -- and I think she will be named to 4CC -- you can bet that ESPN/ABC will give us a big fluff piece on 'Katy & the Hummer - part 2"!!!

Silliness aside - I LOVE Katy's skating & adorable looks! Wow! WOW! WOW! She has 'Star Power' written all over her face. Pure Sonja Henie. She's the biggest surprise of the Sr Ladies, as far as I'm concerned. Who the heck would have imagined Katy Taylor ending up 4th at this year's Nationals? :rock:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Perhaps Katy and her Hummer will become America's next big pairs sensation. Rena & John, Marcy & Aaron, Katie & Garrett, Naomi & Themistocles -- watch your backs.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
But can Rena and John perform a "roll over" move???

Pairs may have the throw flip, but only Hummer can perform the flip on its roof:biggrin: