Emily Hughes on 2006 Worlds Team | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes on 2006 Worlds Team

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
She did get a nice consolation prize, though, being put on the world championship team instead of Kwan.

"I got on the world team, which is a great step up from last year, so I'm really happy about that," she said. "I got a national medal, got to stand on the podium and I had a good experience."

Kwan Decision Shrouded In Secrecy

I think this is very fair. While I definitely think Kwan should go to the Olympics, this means that Emily's 3rd place finish DID count for something. At this point I don't think another trip to Worlds is all that necessary for Michelle. But it would be extremely valuable for Emily.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Article gets it wrong

The article indicated that this Nationals was Sasha's best performance ever... it wasn't. Her best was Q-round at, what was it, 2003? Worlds? When she was flawless in the Q-round... someone help me here.

As far as Emily, well, she could very well come back next year and get something her sister doesn't have: A National Gold.
Linny

Vash01

Medalist
Linny said:
The article indicated that this Nationals was Sasha's best performance ever... it wasn't. Her best was Q-round at, what was it, 2003? Worlds? When she was flawless in the Q-round... someone help me here.

As far as Emily, well, she could very well come back next year and get something her sister doesn't have: A National Gold.
Linny

ITA about Sasha. She skated to not lose.

Emily has the potential to win not only the US nationals but a world championship too- in the future, of course.

Vash

Jill

On the Ice
I think Emily is good, but not great. My guess is they had to give her something, so why not send the kid to worlds. The potential is there, but we'll just have to wait and see.

flying camel

Medalist
She has all the potential in the world. But she needs someone to really work with her. She needs to go to one of the top Choreographers. That Long program she has is just awful to me.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:

I think this is very fair. While I definitely think Kwan should go to the Olympics, this means that Emily's 3rd place finish DID count for something. At this point I don't think another trip to Worlds is all that necessary for Michelle. But it would be extremely valuable for Emily.

Absolutely. Emily definitely deserves to go to the Worlds this year, and the experience will be valuable for her.

Kwan101

Rinkside
Did anybody see the photo of Emily in USA Today this morning? She looked so much like Sarah in that picture it was scary.

Linny said:

Linny
Linny - It was the Q round in Dortmund and it was 2004. Sasha was priceless at that competition.
Emily, in my opinion is a gutsy skater and they always do well. She is not what I would call a beautiful skater but hey, gutsy is better for competitions.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily was gutsy in the GP but she didn't do well. She fell at least 3 times, had underrotated jumps, with combined scores around 125 in each event, and PCS scores in the 5s.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Ogre Mage said:

Thank you for the article. I was wondering where the announcement was. On ABC they said ESPN would be "breaking away for live coverage of the announcement" as soon as it was available. 2 hours, 5 cups of tea and several snacks later, still no live announcement from the USFSA. Then, behold, a quick news blurb that says MK, Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meissner were named to the Olympic team then back to football news!