Parade of US Gold Medal Single Skaters | Golden Skate

Parade of US Gold Medal Single Skaters

Did they show this on TV? Quite an array of former Olympic Gold Medalists from the US teams.

If I remember correctly: Dick Button, Tenley Albright, Hays Allen Jenkins, Carol Heiss, David Jenkins, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamil, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, Kristie Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes.

And they were all there and alive!

Impressed?

Joe

JockProf

Rinkside
I LOVED seeing them all together - I wish I had gone to St. Louis if only for this moment. That's amazing that it was the first time all 12 had been together at the same time. Hmmm - I wonder if the USFSA will ever put the "near-misses" together: Lynn, Fratianne, Sumners, Kerrigan, Wylie, Kwan

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was shown during the exhibitions and I found it chill inducing! What a special moment! :clap:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
From 1948 to 2002. 54 years of gold medalists.
I'm so glad they showed it.
xoxo
Rave

S

SkateFan4Life

YES!! This was Dick Button's "favorite moment of the Nationals", and it was televised yesterday (Sunday) during the broadcast of the figure skating exhibitions. The parade of United States Olympic gold medalist figure skaters:

Dick Button, 1948 and 1952
Tenley Albright, 1956
Hayes Jenkins, 1956
Carol Heiss Jenkins, 1960
David Jenkins, 1960
Peggy Fleming, 1968
Dorothy Hamill, 1976
Scott Hamilton, 1984
Brian Boitano, 1988
Kristi Yamaguchi, 1992
Tara Lapinski, 1998
Sara Hughes, 2002

What a fabulous moment!! :bow: :clap: :bow:

Peggy Fleming said it had been a very moving moment for all of them, and it was the first time she was in the same place with all of the gold medalists at the same time.

76olympics

On the Ice
I loved this segment! Aren't Carol Heiss and Hayes Jenkins the only example of Olympics gold medalists marrying who were not pairs skaters or ice dancers?
(and STILL married!).

Also-Hayes and David Jenkins represent the only brothers who both won Gold medals! Even more fun, David won Silver when Hayes won Gold!

S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
I loved this segment! Aren't Carol Heiss and Hayes Jenkins the only example of Olympics gold medalists marrying who were not pairs skaters or ice dancers?
(and STILL married!).

Also-Hayes and David Jenkins represent the only brothers who both won Gold medals! Even more fun, David won Silver when Hayes won Gold!

Carol and Hayes may well be the only Olympic gold medalist singles skaters who married and are still happily married. What a terrific couple they are! :love:

Not to nitpick, but David won bronze when his older brother Hayes won the gold at the 1956 Olympics. The US men swept the medals in 1956:

Hayes Jenkins, gold
Ronnie Roberson (great spinner!!), silver
David Jenkins, bronze
:bow:

nicole_l

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
The US men swept the medals in 1956:

Hayes Jenkins, gold
Ronnie Roberson (great spinner!!), silver
David Jenkins, bronze
:bow:
Hope we can get a repeat within the next 50 years!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
76olympics said:
(and STILL married!).

And what a lovely couple they are! I got their autographs right after the parade of champions. I stepped outside and wisely had my program with me. Next thing I know they are in from of me. I asked them to sign my program - shockingly nobody seemed to know who they are until then- as soon as people noticed them signing, a huge crowd formed in front of them. I felt really bad since it was me who created that "trap" for them. The signed everything, posed for photos and talked with a bunch of people!!!!

S

SkateFan4Life

nicole_l said:
Hope we can get a repeat within the next 50 years!

I would love to see that happen, but it's not likely. Back in the 1950s, the USA was the powerhouse of singles skating, as many of the top figure skating coaches left war-ravaged Europe and settled in North America, and they coached the young American skaters to numerous World and Olympic medals. The plane crash of 1961 that took the lives of the entire US World team marked the end of that dominance in singles skating.

It's a new world order, too, with wonderfully talented skaters from Russia, Japan, Italy, France, Canada, and othe countries.

76olympics

On the Ice
Whoops! Skatefan-thanks for the correction! I got too carried away and forgot Ronnie Robertson! My bad! Still-it is remains an awesome statistic!

I have seen some video coverage of David Jenkins. He was impressive.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
Whoops! Skatefan-thanks for the correction! I got too carried away and forgot Ronnie Robertson! My bad! Still-it is still an awesome statistic!

I wasn't trying to nitpick, 76Olympics! Wasn't it just fabulous to see all of those wonderful skaters together for that moment? :bow:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Now they should have a gathering of all of the medalists from the USA, not just gold...at least those that are still living...

Ladies:
Theresa Weld(1920-Bronze)
Beatrix Loughran(1924-Silver;1928-Bronze)
Maribel Vinson(1932-Bronze)
Tenley Albright(1952-Silver;1956-Gold)
Carol Heiss(1956-Silver;1960-Gold)
Barbara Ann Roles(1960-Bronze)
Peggy Flemmin(1968-Gold)
Janet Lynn(1972-Bronze)
Dorothy Hamill(1976-Gold)
Linda Fratianne(1980-Silver)
Rosalyn Sumners(1984-Silver)
Debbie Thomas(1988-Bronze)
Kristi Yamaguchi(1992-Gold)
Nancy Kerrigan(1992-Bronze; 1994-Silver)
Tara Lipinski(1998-Gold)
Michelle Kwan(1998-Silver; 2002-Bronze)
Sarah Hughes(2002-Gold)

Men:
Dick Button(1948-Gold; 1952-Gold)
James Grogan(1952-Bronze)
Hayes Jenkins(1956-Gold)
David Jenkins(1956-Bronze)
Ronald Robertson(1956-Silver)
David Jenkins(1960-Gold)
Scott Allen(1964-Bronze)
Tim Wood(1968-Silver)
Charles Tickner(1980-Bronze)
Scott Hamilton(1984-Gold)
Brian Boitano(1988-Gold)
Paul Wylie(1992-Silver)
Timothy Goebel(2002-Bronze)

Pairs:
Beatrix Loughran/Sherwin Badger(1932-Silver)
Karol Kennedy/Peter Kennedy(1952-Silver)
Nancy Ludington/Ronald Ludington(1960-Bronze)
Kitty Carruthers/Peter Carruthers(1984-Silver)
Jill Watson/Peter Oppegard(1988-Bronze)

Dance:
Colleen O’Conner/James Millns(1976-Bronze)

It's hard to believe the US has won only ONE Olympic medal in Ice Dancing since the addition of the dance competition to the Olympics. Hopefully Tanith and Ben will be the start of a new arrival of pollished dance teams from the US on the international scene.

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
If it's of any interest, Barbara Ann Scott made an appearance at Canadians yesterday. Click HERE to see her waving at the crowd.

IDLERACER said:
If it's of any interest, Barbara Ann Scott made an appearance at Canadians yesterday. Click HERE to see her waving at the crowd.
What a classy lady, she looks like a queen!