Olympic/World Champions Question | Golden Skate

Olympic/World Champions Question

Jill

On the Ice
Here's a question for all of you. Who was the last woman to win the OGM and World title all in the same year? Was it Yamaguchi in 92, or was that the year that Yuka Sato won and Surya Bonaly threw a hissy fit?

It seems that more often than not, the OGM winner blows off Worlds entirely. And not just the ladies, either.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IIRC it was Kristi in 92. Yuka won World's (and Bonaly had her hissy fit) in 94 right after Oksana won the Olympics. I can still remember Yuka's footwork in that program. It was the first time I heard anyone gush about footwork.:p

Jill

On the Ice
Thanks, Piel. I remember her footwork, too, now that you mention it. Yuka was and still is one of my favorite skaters.

Vash01

Medalist
Kristi won in 92- Oly & Worlds. Also the Oly champs in men (Petrenko), pairs (M&D) and ice dance (K&P) won the worlds that year. After that most of the Oly champs started skipping worlds.

Before Kristi, Kat Witt won Oly & Worlds in 88.

Vash

S

SkateFan4Life

JillLaQ said:
Here's a question for all of you. Who was the last woman to win the OGM and World title all in the same year? Was it Yamaguchi in 92, or was that the year that Yuka Sato won and Surya Bonaly threw a hissy fit?

It seems that more often than not, the OGM winner blows off Worlds entirely. And not just the ladies, either.

Actually, until recently, the Olympic gold medalist usually stayed in the competitive arena and won the World title. Going back a few Olympiads:

1960 Carol Heiss, Olympic & World Champion
1964 Sjoukje Dijkstra, Olympic & World Champion
1968 Peggy Fleming, Olympic & World Champion
1972 Beatrix Schuba, Olympic &World Champion
1976 Dorothy Hamill, Olympic & World Champion
1980 Annet Poetzsch, Olympic & World Champion
1984 Katarina Witt, Olympic &World Champion
1988 Katarina Witt, Olymjpic & World Champion
1992 Kristi Yamaguch, Olympic & World Champion

Then the pattern breaks apart.....

1994 Oksana Baiul, Olympic Champion
1994 Yuka Sato, World Champion

1998 Tara Lipinski, Olympic Champion
1998 Michelle Kwan, World Champion

2002 Sarah Hughes, Olympic Champion
2002 Irina Slutskaya, World Champion

Wonderful skaters, all! :bow: :bow:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Then the pattern breaks apart.....

1994 Oksana Baiul, Olympic Champion
1994 Yuka Sato, World Champion

1998 Tara Lipinski, Olympic Champion
1998 Michelle Kwan, World Champion

2002 Sarah Hughes, Olympic Champion
2002 Irina Slutskaya, World Champion

Wonderful skaters, all! :bow: :bow:

Hmm, the three teenage "flukes"(quite possibly). Perhaps they were scared of getting beaten at worlds after winning the Olympic titles they apparently "deserved"(yes, maybe on that night....unfortunately that's all that counts).

rob43

On the Ice
In their defenses- we now know that both Bauil and Lipinski were already injured so it makes a little sense. I was actually really surprised at Kulik skipping Worlds since he was healthy and only had 1 world medal previously.

Kati

On the Ice
rob43 said:
I was actually really surprised at Kulik skipping Worlds since he was healthy and only had 1 world medal previously.

Yes, it's a pity, I so much wanted him to be a World champion, too!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
rob43 said:
In their defenses- we now know that both Bauil and Lipinski were already injured so it makes a little sense. I was actually really surprised at Kulik skipping Worlds since he was healthy and only had 1 world medal previously.

Actually Ilia was not healthy, he suffered from back injury during the 1997-1998 Olympic season and that prevented him from participating both in Europeans and Worlds.