Rohene Ward | Golden Skate

Rohene Ward

isk82

On the Ice
Did anyone else enjoy him as much as I did? Is there a way to send him a note in support and appreciation of his skating? Does he have a website? Sorry for all the questions, but he was one of my favorite parts of this year's nationals. I wonder if he would have done better if he had known his mom was there BEFORE he skated. What a nice mother he has, too.

I tried google but no luck. He does belong to the Braemar City of Lakes Skating Club. Maybe a note to them would reach him.

Joe

pollyls

Rinkside
Horrible, manipulative coverage of Rohene

I was so offended by the manipulative way they treated him in the Nationals coverage...State Farm patting itself on the back for flying his mom and nephew there, the way they blindsided him in the press area revealing that his mom and nephew were there, the cloying way Peter Carruthers revealed it, and the way the camera drank in the tearful reunion. It was disgusting the way they made media hay out of Rohene's emotions.

Obviously, there's no way for us to know how he felt about it. Maybe he was just overjoyed to see his mom and nephew, and didn't care that the cameras were on him the whole time and the State Farm slogan being announced over the PA system as they hugged. But I felt so manipulated. My guy couldn't stand it and had to leave the room. I'm determined never to get State Farm insurance EVER.

isk82

On the Ice
Dee, I read that article before Nationals - that's what got me interested in him in the first place. I hope from this Nationals, he can get some sponsorship or something from someone to help with funding and get some consistency under pressure. I know it's easier said than done, but what a talented young man!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some pics from 2002. You might have to scroll down to find his name.

Rohene

Dee

Frau Muller

Final Flight
pollyls said:
I was so offended by the manipulative way they treated him in the Nationals coverage........I'm determined never to get State Farm insurance EVER.

So was I, pollyls. I'm cancelling my SF insurance & going with GEICO. Crappy, crappy, crappy manipulation. It made me puke.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
pollyls said:
I was so offended by the manipulative way they treated him in the Nationals coverage...
+1

And, with all due respect to Dick Button, I just didn't know what to make of his comment about Rohene being a part of life with hardly any "culture". I understand what he means, but frankly from reading various interviews with, say, Sasha Cohen, it seems most of her "culture" comes from shopping and fashion magazines, so I think things are rather relative.

Linny

Final Flight
Robin's involvement

How is it that a guy who couldn't afford the plane ticket for his mom can afford Robin Wagner? Anyone know exactly what her involvement will be?

If she's going to help him overcome his competition block and have the fabulous success that I hope for him and take a percentage of his future earnings, then more power to her! But I hope that the coach who has been there for him, through all his crash and burns thus far, will also get some credit.

Linny

FreeKatie

On the Ice
pollyls said:
I was so offended by the manipulative way they treated him in the Nationals coverage...State Farm patting itself on the back for flying his mom and nephew there, the way they blindsided him in the press area revealing that his mom and nephew were there, the cloying way Peter Carruthers revealed it, and the way the camera drank in the tearful reunion. It was disgusting the way they made media hay out of Rohene's emotions.

Obviously, there's no way for us to know how he felt about it. Maybe he was just overjoyed to see his mom and nephew, and didn't care that the cameras were on him the whole time and the State Farm slogan being announced over the PA system as they hugged. But I felt so manipulated. My guy couldn't stand it and had to leave the room. I'm determined never to get State Farm insurance EVER.

ITA It was horrific IMO

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look :laugh:

jessyxyz

Rinkside
pollyls said:

I thought it was nice of them to bring his mom and nephew to Nationals, but I definitely agree with you. I really didn't like how Peter Carruthers revealed it. When he hugged his mom the camera was glued to him and when the nephew tried to get the attention it went down for a second of the kid, and then went back up to like, stare at the mother and son.

His Charlotte was pretty impressive, though.

emma

Record Breaker
pollyls said:

I'm still so angry about it ...I think it was just awful to do that.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look :laugh:
I don't think Rohene is a cheap anything!! Comparing him to Johnny would be a compliment in my books. But I don't think he needs to be compared to anyone.

Dee

Rohene is unique. That is obvious, and if anyone doesn't think so, imo, should brush up their knowledge of figure skating.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Rohene is unique. That is obvious, and if anyone doesn't think so, imo, should brush up their knowledge of figure skating.

Joe

I don't think so... I think where one see's "amazing" another tends to go "eh". Just because I'm not bowing down to him doesn't mean I need to "brush up" on anything.

I felt he was trying too hard for the lyrical style, and I didn't see the polish or finesse that they were hyping him to have. IFS and ESPN and just about every skating media source made him sounds like the 2nd coming of Johnny Weir/John Curry and I just didn't see that. I saw him *try* but I didn't see the success. I hear his practices are better than his competition performances *shrugs* so what?