Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Rohene Ward

  1. #16
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle

    I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look
    Huh???

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyls
    I was so offended by the manipulative way they treated him in the Nationals coverage...State Farm patting itself on the back for flying his mom and nephew there, the way they blindsided him in the press area revealing that his mom and nephew were there, the cloying way Peter Carruthers revealed it, and the way the camera drank in the tearful reunion. It was disgusting the way they made media hay out of Rohene's emotions.
    I'm still so angry about it ...I think it was just awful to do that.

  3. #18
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

    I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look
    I don't think Rohene is a cheap anything!! Comparing him to Johnny would be a compliment in my books. But I don't think he needs to be compared to anyone.

    Dee

  4. #19
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Rohene is unique. That is obvious, and if anyone doesn't think so, imo, should brush up their knowledge of figure skating.

    Joe

  5. #20
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Rohene is unique. That is obvious, and if anyone doesn't think so, imo, should brush up their knowledge of figure skating.

    Joe
    I don't think so... I think where one see's "amazing" another tends to go "eh". Just because I'm not bowing down to him doesn't mean I need to "brush up" on anything.

    I felt he was trying too hard for the lyrical style, and I didn't see the polish or finesse that they were hyping him to have. IFS and ESPN and just about every skating media source made him sounds like the 2nd coming of Johnny Weir/John Curry and I just didn't see that. I saw him *try* but I didn't see the success. I hear his practices are better than his competition performances *shrugs* so what?

  6. #21
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I felt he was trying too hard for the lyrical style, and I didn't see the polish or finesse that they were hyping him to have.
    Are you sure you know what skater you're referring to??? He didn't try to be lyrical, he was.

    Dee

  7. #22
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

    I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look
    Hey Toni! I think it would be fair to say that Rohene is the type of skater who will probably never seem "well, that was OK" in very many people's book style wise. I suspect his style is more polarizing - love it or hate it kind of things. I am sorry you missed his SP practice in particular though.

    I'm going to try to describe something that I HOPE will not be interpreted as a gay / straight thing, because I could personally care less about that. So I hope I can express what I think without anyone surmising that I'm going there. For me, one of the more interesting things about Rohene's style is that he does moves that to me, I've always thought of as women's domain. Examples include the spiral sequence, the catch foot spiral position into one of his jumps (can't recall now if he did that in comp - he did it in practice several times), and the splits during footwork. Actually, I don't recall seeing women doing splits during footwork, but I've seen women in pairs and dance do splits in an ending position, etc. And yet he brings a very masculine look to these moves that I think of as traditionally women's moves.

    To me anyway, this is very different from Johnny's style. And I'm not suggesting that Johnny is effeminate or anything - it's just a different look that I'm trying hard to describe without using the wrong words and offending anyone. And goodness knows I love Johhny!

    And since I've gushed enough in multiple threads in my excitement over Rohene, I will just close by saying I think Ben stole Rohene's look, and I'm glad he did! I love the bad boy look on both of them. Dirty Old Lady to the END!!

    DG

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    414

    knock off?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

    I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look
    When was the last time you saw Johnny do a lay-back spin or the splits & back up? I'm begenning to think you are a bit homophobic.
    Last edited by sk8addict; 01-18-2006 at 01:26 PM.

  9. #24
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Examples include the spiral sequence, the catch foot spiral position into one of his jumps (can't recall now if he did that in comp - he did it in practice several times), and the splits during footwork. Actually, I don't recall seeing women doing splits during footwork, but I've seen women in pairs and dance do splits in an ending position, etc. And yet he brings a very masculine look to these moves that I think of as traditionally women's moves.

    And since I've gushed enough in multiple threads in my excitement over Rohene, I will just close by saying I think Ben stole Rohene's look, and I'm glad he did! I love the bad boy look on both of them. Dirty Old Lady to the END!!

    DG
    Doggygirl, I understand what you're saying, those very same things are what excited me about Rohene's skating. I think that's what I like about Daisuke Takahashi's LP is he does a layback that adds so much to the program.

    Doggygirl, I must admit, I, too think that you are a nasty, nasty lady. I think that's what I like most about you.

    Dee

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    778
    I just don't understand how you can not be moved by Rohene's skating.

    I really got interested in him a couple of years ago when he was shown in TV - I think it was his short.

    My heart really was breaking when he had such a disaster of a long program, especially since he was spitting one jump after another in the warm-up.

    I would not compare him to anybody, maybe Sasha as far as flexibility and spirals. He is simply breathtaking and has a very unique style.

    Also, he is such a sweetheart! I got a photo with his too

  11. #26
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Doggygirl, I must admit, I, too think that you are a nasty, nasty lady. I think that's what I like most about you.

    Dee
    Hee hee! Glad I've been able to keep up my reputation. If I ever lose interest in "reading the menu," might as well start digging the hole.

    DG

  12. #27
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    I got a photo with his too
    And I am PEA GREEN!!

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    778

    Don't be jealous - I have a surprise for you!!!!

    Hey DG,

    I was going to PM you later, but since you mentioned it - here it goes:

    I was reviewing my photos, and I noticed that I can see you to the left of Rohene's gorgeous Y-spiral. I am waiting for my brother to mail me the CD with all the photos (I used family's digital camera) - then I will email it to you so you would feel better!!!!!

    Yana

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    FYI, I sold one "RoWarmer" fundraising scarf in St. Louis and I know his coach has a plentiful supply left. You can email me at rowarmer@comcast.net for more info or just click on this link to see a photo of the purple scarf:
    http://www.greenskylark.com/rohene/scarf.htm
    You can also leave a message of support in Rohene's Guestbook.

    Edited to add: Even after his FS meltdown on Saturday, Rohene was approached by many fans in the concourse where he willingly signed autographs and posed for photos.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-18-2006 at 04:28 PM.

  15. #30
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,135

    Weeee!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    Hey DG,

    I was going to PM you later, but since you mentioned it - here it goes:

    I was reviewing my photos, and I noticed that I can see you to the left of Rohene's gorgeous Y-spiral. I am waiting for my brother to mail me the CD with all the photos (I used family's digital camera) - then I will email it to you so you would feel better!!!!!

    Yana
    YANA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!! You just MADE my day. I don't even care if I look like a dork. (I'm used to that in pictures) See? There IS still a teenager alive and well in me!!! OH MY!! THANK YOU!!

    DG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •