Rohene Ward | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rohene Ward

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
I felt he was trying too hard for the lyrical style, and I didn't see the polish or finesse that they were hyping him to have.
Are you sure you know what skater you're referring to??? He didn't try to be lyrical, he was.

Dee

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look :laugh:

Hey Toni! I think it would be fair to say that Rohene is the type of skater who will probably never seem "well, that was OK" in very many people's book style wise. I suspect his style is more polarizing - love it or hate it kind of things. I am sorry you missed his SP practice in particular though. :)

I'm going to try to describe something that I HOPE will not be interpreted as a gay / straight thing, because I could personally care less about that. So I hope I can express what I think without anyone surmising that I'm going there. For me, one of the more interesting things about Rohene's style is that he does moves that to me, I've always thought of as women's domain. Examples include the spiral sequence, the catch foot spiral position into one of his jumps (can't recall now if he did that in comp - he did it in practice several times), and the splits during footwork. Actually, I don't recall seeing women doing splits during footwork, but I've seen women in pairs and dance do splits in an ending position, etc. And yet he brings a very masculine look to these moves that I think of as traditionally women's moves.

To me anyway, this is very different from Johnny's style. And I'm not suggesting that Johnny is effeminate or anything - it's just a different look that I'm trying hard to describe without using the wrong words and offending anyone. And goodness knows I love Johhny!

And since I've gushed enough in multiple threads in my excitement over Rohene, I will just close by saying I think Ben stole Rohene's look, and I'm glad he did! I love the bad boy look on both of them. :love: Dirty Old Lady to the END!!

DG

sk8addict

On the Ice
knock off?

Tonichelle said:
I guess I'm one of the few who just doesn't get what the talk is all about... though I missed his practices... I still found nothing in his skating that stood out... *shrugs*

I just found him to be a cheap knock off of Johnny Weir's skating and Ben Agosto's look :laugh:
When was the last time you saw Johnny do a lay-back spin or the splits & back up? I'm begenning to think you are a bit homophobic.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
Examples include the spiral sequence, the catch foot spiral position into one of his jumps (can't recall now if he did that in comp - he did it in practice several times), and the splits during footwork. Actually, I don't recall seeing women doing splits during footwork, but I've seen women in pairs and dance do splits in an ending position, etc. And yet he brings a very masculine look to these moves that I think of as traditionally women's moves.

And since I've gushed enough in multiple threads in my excitement over Rohene, I will just close by saying I think Ben stole Rohene's look, and I'm glad he did! I love the bad boy look on both of them. :love: Dirty Old Lady to the END!!

DG
Doggygirl, I understand what you're saying, those very same things are what excited me about Rohene's skating. I think that's what I like about Daisuke Takahashi's LP is he does a layback that adds so much to the program.

Doggygirl, I must admit, I, too think that you are a nasty, nasty lady. I think that's what I like most about you. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I just don't understand how you can not be moved by Rohene's skating.

I really got interested in him a couple of years ago when he was shown in TV - I think it was his short.

My heart really was breaking when he had such a disaster of a long program, especially since he was spitting one jump after another in the warm-up.

I would not compare him to anybody, maybe Sasha as far as flexibility and spirals. He is simply breathtaking and has a very unique style.

Also, he is such a sweetheart! I got a photo with his too:)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Doggygirl, I must admit, I, too think that you are a nasty, nasty lady. I think that's what I like most about you. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Hee hee! Glad I've been able to keep up my reputation. ;) If I ever lose interest in "reading the menu," might as well start digging the hole.

DG

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Don't be jealous - I have a surprise for you!!!!

Hey DG,

I was going to PM you later, but since you mentioned it - here it goes:

I was reviewing my photos, and I noticed that I can see you to the left of Rohene's gorgeous Y-spiral. I am waiting for my brother to mail me the CD with all the photos (I used family's digital camera) - then I will email it to you so you would feel better!!!!!

Yana

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, I sold one "RoWarmer" fundraising scarf in St. Louis and I know his coach has a plentiful supply left. You can email me at [email protected] for more info or just click on this link to see a photo of the purple scarf:
http://www.greenskylark.com/rohene/scarf.htm
You can also leave a message of support in Rohene's Guestbook.

Edited to add: Even after his FS meltdown on Saturday, Rohene was approached by many fans in the concourse where he willingly signed autographs and posed for photos. :)

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Weeee!!!!!

STL_Blues_fan said:
Hey DG,

I was going to PM you later, but since you mentioned it - here it goes:

I was reviewing my photos, and I noticed that I can see you to the left of Rohene's gorgeous Y-spiral. I am waiting for my brother to mail me the CD with all the photos (I used family's digital camera) - then I will email it to you so you would feel better!!!!!

Yana

YANA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!! You just MADE my day. I don't even care if I look like a dork. (I'm used to that in pictures) See? There IS still a teenager alive and well in me!!! OH MY!! THANK YOU!!

DG

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
You are welcome!

Unfortunately, I can only up to a senator - got to be a US citizen by birth to be a president! I was very excited when I saw you there. I wouldn't be shocked if there were more of you, but I will have to get the CD to review it. There were very few that I studied that closely before I flew back home.

IIRC, you looked just fine. It is a very cool photo :)

Yana

waxel

Final Flight
Tonichelle, it might be somewhat difficult to get the full impact of Rohene's skating without seeing a clean program... and alas, we didn't see one in St. Louis. He can be breathtaking.

And Sylvia is right... even after the FS disaster he greeted fans, signed autographs and posed for photos in between the Mens and Ladies competition... and did it graciously. I wish I had known about the "rowarmers"-------- I'd have bought one.

Arsenette

On the Ice
Sylvia said:
FYI, I sold one "RoWarmer" fundraising scarf in St. Louis and I know his coach has a plentiful supply left. You can email me at [email protected] for more info or just click on this link to see a photo of the purple scarf:
http://www.greenskylark.com/rohene/scarf.htm
You can also leave a message of support in Rohene's Guestbook.

Edited to add: Even after his FS meltdown on Saturday, Rohene was approached by many fans in the concourse where he willingly signed autographs and posed for photos. :)

Thanks Sylvia :) Yeah.. I wish he did better but nice to see he took time for his fans. Just speaks of class :bow: