Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What if Sasha Cohen skips Worlds?

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    It's nobody's business but Sasha.

I think she would like to have a Worlds gold medal but it would be anticlimatic after the Olympics. Let Sasha decide what to do. She may even go for 2010.

Joe
    Of course, in the final analysis, it's Sasha's decision. We're all in the peanut gallery, giving our sage advice, but she's the one who has to live with her decision, whatever it is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Why would Sasha "do the right thing"? Tara and Sarah didn't. In fact, at SLC< Sarah announced she was going to go to Worlds and "represent my country", but she was too tired from the whirl of parties and celebrations and informed the USFS less than two weeks before Worlds that she wasn't going. Think she was running scared of being beaten? You'd better believe she was!
    My thoughts are that Sarah wanted to go to worlds, but once the hoopla set in with all the interviews and special evetns, she probably realized at the last minute that she wasn't going to fit in the training time to do well at Worlds. Alexei was able to handle everything very well, but he's not American so even though there was a lot of attention and interviews for him, it wasn't nearly as much as it was for the American ladies OGM.

I think that if Michelle had won an OGM, she probably would have skipped out on worlds as well. It's not as if a silver and bronze medalist makes as many rounds to the Oscars and Grammys as the OGM.

And I would be very surprised to see Sasha at Worlds. Her body and what little are left of her nerves are going to give out right after the Olympics. She needs to spare herself that stress and start eating normally and taking care of her health.

SkateFan4Life
    I would like to see Sasha take one more run at winning the World title. If she does win gold at Torino, perhaps she can ride the momentum of that victory into the Worlds and win the gold medal there as well.

If I remember this correctly, Dorothy Hamill remained in Europe after winning gold at Innsbruck. She trained hard, maintained a relatively low profile, and then won her first and only World title in Sweden. Dorothy then returned home to the US as "America's Sweetheart".

There's a lesson there for Sasha, IMHO. Forget the spotlight, the celebrity stuff, and just train and skate between the Olympics and Worlds. It's only one month, for Pete's sakes. She will have a lifetime to reap the rewards of her victories.

Tripping on the Podium

Question Worlds

I'm curious...does anyone know how many Oly winners chose to go right onto Worlds after their Oly win? I remember Alexei saying how he wanted to rest after Olys but he ( or was it Tatiana?) pushed himself to go? (And thank goodness that he did go! lol )

Custom Title
    I think Michelle would have shown up to Worlds in both '98 and '02 had she won. It's just her nature (and '02 was also a chance to tie a US record). I think Sarah should have gone in '02 because that was an excellent shot for her to take it since Kwan and Irina were mentally burned out & had been through the 2nd half of that season.

As for Sasha- I believe she wants every title she can get her hands on. If she win Oly and Worlds I think she'll declare her career complete then and their but if she has a possible World Championship looming I frimly believe she'll go for it.

I almost think if Sasha skips out, Katie will be our #1 bet even though she's the alternate. She just seems to love to compete & has a killer instinct.

Custom Title

Not

I don't think Sasha will skip Worlds. She is well trained and skating beautifully. Why would she not want another world medal whichever it is. This Sashist would be very sad not to see her there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    I think that barring injury, Sasha will skate at Worlds 2006, regardless of where she places in Turin. Like Joesitz says, she wants a World Title and you have to believe the USFSA will be encouraging her to go so they can secure 3 spots for next year. Especially given that Irina probably will NOT go to Worlds this year, it would be a golden opportunity for Sasha.
    Sasha said she would be there. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. Th

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3