Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What if Sasha Cohen skips Worlds?

It's all about Plushenko.
    Very interesting observation, attyfan. I think Emily's a wonderful skater, but I don't see her staying in it for even half as long as Michelle. Someone else speculated that she'd stop competing after graduating high school and go to college. If anything, she'll do both -- something that the Kween herself couldn't handle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by *~RussianBleux~*
    The only way I see Sasha skipping worlds is if she flat out wins the Olympic gold medal. In that event, she might pull a Tara Lipinski and skip worlds for fear of being beaten there. However, she very well could stay on the World team to earn the 3 spots for the US in 2007 as previous posters have mentioned, or simply to try to win the World title(which would be the only title she failed to win at that point).

If she finishes second or below in Turin, she will definitely go to Worlds. She has nothing to lose in that situation, especially if the Olympic gold medalist decides to skip worlds. She will definitely go to try to win the title.

Tara has accomplished everything she wanted. She won a Nationals, a World and an Olympic gold. I bet a lot of skaters would love to "pull a Tara Lipinski".

Also, it will take more than Sasha to earn 3 spots for US in 2007. The second skaters has to place appropriately as well.

I don't believe that Sasha would skip Worlds out of "fear". If she wins the Olympic medal and decides to stay home it will be from a great sence of relief that all the hard work has paid off. Well, I can't speak for Sasha, but I don't think you are in a possition to say that she is "afraid to loose it". Is Sasha wins that gold (and I am rooting for Irina) it will not be a fluke. Tara winning that gold was not a fluke either. Sarah is debatable. And btw, Sarah did come back to 2003 Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    IMO, Emily Hughes will come in eighth at 2006 Worlds, and fourth
    in 2007, before beginning (in 2008) a podium streak that will last 9 years. This is based on the parallels between Emily and MK -- both came in 6th at their Nats debuts, medaled at Jr. Worlds, and, the next year, won their first Nats medal but didn't get named to Oly team because reigning Oly bronze medalst (who as reigning Nat champ and reigning world medalist went to Worlds the year before Olys and had worst skate of her life) got a bye.
    The comparisons between Emily and Michelle simply do not pan out.

First of all, Michelle was TWELVE when she finished 6th at her first US Nationals. Then she won the Gardena Spring Trophy and the Olympic Festival, and went on to finish 7th at Skate America. The following Nationals she won the SILVER medal, then went on to WIN Junior Worlds. Before finishing 8th at Senior Worlds (with two clean programs), Michelle at 13 had already 3 gold medals and a silver medal to her credit.

Emily was SIXTEEN when she finished 6th at her first US Nationals (Senior). She won bronze at Junior Worlds, then finished 5th at Skate America and Cup of Russia. Going into her first Senior Worlds, Emily will not have won a single event, since she has already opted out of 4CC, and just two bronze medals.

But the major difference between Michelle at 13 and Emily at 17 (she turns 17 in less than two weeks) is that Michelle was a very consistent jumper [and has remained that way throughout her career]. Emily is anything but consistent, and in her past 3 competitions (two GPs and Nationals) has had a minimum of one disastrous fall in each event (SA: 2 falls in the SP, 1 in the FS; CoR: 1 fall in the SP, 2 in the FS; Nationals: 1 fall in the FS).

I think it is highly unlikely that Emily will place in the top 8 at Worlds 2006, given how she's been viewed by the ISU judges at her GP events (PCS scores in the low 5s).

Banned
    So...What if Sasha does skip Worlds? I don't think the world will come to an end.

Custom Title
    No doubt about it, the USFSA will encourage Sasha to attend the World Championship. I

Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    No doubt about it, the USFSA will encourage Sasha to attend the World Championship.
    But with an Olympic gold medal in her pocket and a lucrative pro career beckoning, Sasha may not care what the USFSA encourages.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    But with an Olympic gold medal in her pocket and a lucrative pro career beckoning, Sasha may not care what the USFSA encourages.
    Surely, she will want to leave somewhat a positive legacy, and not walk away as Tara did.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    I don't believe that Sasha would skip Worlds out of "fear". If she wins the Olympic medal and decides to stay home it will be from a great sence of relief that all the hard work has paid off. Well, I can't speak for Sasha, but I don't think you are in a possition to say that she is "afraid to loose it". Is Sasha wins that gold (and I am rooting for Irina) it will not be a fluke. Tara winning that gold was not a fluke either. Sarah is debatable. And btw, Sarah did come back to 2003 Worlds.
    I'm pretty positive that a clean Irina would beat a clean Sasha any day(and a lot of that may because she is "held up"), especially in Turin. Basically I feel that Sasha doesn't have a chance unless Irina is flawed and she is absolutely perfect. Likely? No. So if it does happen, it may seem "flukish" because it isn't a likely turn of events at all. I'm not saying it would be a complete fluke. In that event, Sasha may realize this about why she won the Olympic gold medal and opt to skip worlds if Irina is competing because certainly if Irina is perfect at worlds Sasha is done for, OGM or not. You're right though, I'm not Sasha so I can't just sit here and say what she is planning on doing and how she feels. This is just my prediction. I see Sasha making the same decisions as Tara Lipinski made, in the event that she wins the OGM.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    . Is Sasha wins that gold (and I am rooting for Irina) it will not be a fluke. Tara winning that gold was not a fluke either. Sarah is debatable. And btw, Sarah did come back to 2003 Worlds.
    Sasha goes into the Olympics as a 2-time World Silver Medalist and reigning U.S. Nats Champ, so a Gold Medal would not be a fluke. Tara, like you said, was not a fluke either -- she entered Nagano as the reigning World Champ and 1997 U.S. Nats Champ. Sarah, I would say, WAS a fluke, because she never did as well before or since.

SkateFan4Life
    OK, I've readjusted my thinking on this......I think Sasha should stay in the eligible ranks at least to compete at the Worlds this year. The US needs her presence to assure (hopefully) a three-woman World team in 2007, and to also avoid being shut out of the medals at Worlds this year. The US women have always been strong, and there have been just a handful of years in recent memory in which at least one American woman hasn't medaled at Worlds. The last time that happened was in 1994. Tonya Harding was kicked off the team, Nancy Kerrigan skipped Worlds, and that left Michelle Kwan to pretty much carry the bag for the US. She was only 13 at the time, and she skated very well to finish eighth to assure the US a 2-woman World Team for 1995.

Custom Title
    Just out of curiosity -- if Sasha did decide to skip Worlds, could the USFSA send Michelle along with Emily and Kimmie, even if she didn't petition? Or, would they have to send three new faces?

Custom Title
    A federation can send anyone they choose to Worlds, so if Sasha skipped, the USFS could substitute Kwan, if they wanted, and if she was willing. But "could" doesn't necessarily mean "would".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    OK, I've readjusted my thinking on this......I think Sasha should stay in the eligible ranks at least to compete at the Worlds this year. The US needs her presence to assure (hopefully) a three-woman World team in 2007, and to also avoid being shut out of the medals at Worlds this year. The US women have always been strong, and there have been just a handful of years in recent memory in which at least one American woman hasn't medaled at Worlds. The last time that happened was in 1994. Tonya Harding was kicked off the team, Nancy Kerrigan skipped Worlds, and that left Michelle Kwan to pretty much carry the bag for th
    e U
    S. She was only 13 at the time, and she skated very well to finish eighth to assure the US a 2-woman World Team for 1995.
    Exactly right!
    Whether or not Sasha will stay or go is ?????? She may react as a deer with a hunter in her rearview mirror, or at last, listen to Mr. Nicks and skate as she can.

We saw one, just one performance, only one. Nothing there tells me she can repeat a win, even at that level.

So, if she earns a medal of some color, will she have the muster to try for a Gold at Worlds? Big question. Is she hungry for a legacy or one National gold (minus Kwan) and an Oly?

Only Cohen can answer this.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Surely, she will want to leave somewhat a positive legacy, and not walk away as Tara did.
    Well, we need to remember that Tara Lipinski was injured during the fall of 1997, and she competed at Nagano with that injury. This infomation was kept secret from the media, judges, officials, and the general public. Certainly, Tara skated as though she was 100 percent physically fit. However, we learned that she was, indeed, injured, and she probably felt that she could not successfully defend her World title with that injury.

Another scenario, of course, is that Tara did not want to take the chance of tarnishing her Olympic victory by competing at Worlds and being defeated by Michelle and/or other skaters

It's nobody's business but Sasha.

I think she would like to have a Worlds gold medal but it would be anticlimatic after the Olympics. Let Sasha decide what to do. She may even go for 2010.

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast