Torino/Lillehamer Parallels. | Golden Skate

Torino/Lillehamer Parallels.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Skating historians -- can you think of more parallels between the '94 and '06 Olys? I know of some, in three disciplines, especially the Russian and US teams, but nothing as to the pairs. Here is my list:

Men's -- Russian teams both include the multiple Russian Nat champ, who is coached by Alexei Mishin; US teams both include a 3 time (in a row) US champ

Ice Dance: If rumors are true, then in both cases the male half of the Russian world champ ice dancing team is cheating on his wife. In the US, both times, there was a reigning US champ with citizenship problems that it was hoped Congressional action would resolve; there was an attempt to derail that Congressional action on behalf of one of the team's competitors.

Ladies: Reigning world champ from former Soviet Union, who (as of worlds) had a very sick mother. In US, a Nats medalist (who came in 6th at Nats debut, and then medaled at Jr. Worlds) didn't get named to Oly team because reigning Oly bronze medalst (who as reigning Nat champ and reigning world medalist went to Worlds the year before Olys and sucked) needed a medical bye.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Also, there's a couple of ice dance asking to be reinstated, correct? F-P and her partner, and Silvia Fontana.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is an American skater who has hired bodyguards...Johnny Weir (no lie, he had them at St. Louis, and as he hadn't applied for credentials for them, there was no end of fuss.)

screech

Final Flight
A Canadian male using an old LP (Kurt used Casablanca for the 2nd consecutive year, Jeff went back to S&D, and if you want to go even further... Emanuel is using his 03/04 SP)

Canadian male is the reigning world silver medallist (Elvis silver in 93, Jeff in 05)

blackrose050

Rinkside
DORISPULASKI said:
There is an American skater who has hired bodyguards...Johnny Weir (no lie, he had them at St. Louis, and as he hadn't applied for credentials for them, there was no end of fuss.)

Are you serious?

Mafke

Medalist
attyfan said:
Ladies: Reigning world champ from former Soviet Union, who (as of worlds) had a very sick mother. In US, a Nats medalist (who came in 6th at Nats debut, and then medaled at Jr. Worlds) didn't get named to Oly team because reigning Oly bronze medalst (who as reigning Nat champ and reigning world medalist went to Worlds the year before Olys and sucked) needed a medical bye.

In 94 Baiul's mother was not sick IIRC she was dead. Slute's mother is alive, let's not rattle cages.

AndKerrigan's and Kwan's pre-oly world performances weren't that similar (except for finishing off the podium). Kwan didn't 'suck' at last year's worlds, she was third in the SP and LP combined but barely didn't medal because the ISU, in its perpetual idiocy, counts the qualifying round (where she didn't do so well) into the final score. In other words, Kwan rebounded well (if not spectacularly) after a weak qualifying round whereas Kerrigan won the SP (with no QR) and fell apart in the LP. Those are very different scenarios.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
blackrose050:
Are you serious?

Yes. We became very friendly with one of the ushers, who was telling us about it.

He didn't know why Johnny had hired bodyguards, but offered up that many celebrities have them to keep fans away from them. That didn't seem true, since Johnny signed a lot of autographs without complaining, so it's a mystery to me. But it does rather remind me of Harding who had bodyguards

Last edited:

blackrose050

Rinkside
DORISPULASKI said:
blackrose050:

Yes. We became very friendly with one of the ushers, who was telling us about it.

Sorry to pry, but do you know why he felt he needed bodyguards?
(Even though I guess that's none of my business...)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I haven't a clue. I was about to speculate, but you know, that wouldn't be fair to Johnny.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mafke said:
In 94 Baiul's mother was not sick IIRC she was dead. Slute's mother is alive, let's not rattle cages. ... .

As I recalled the events, Baiul's mom was alive but ill when she won worlds in '93 -- but she died before the Olys in '94. I didn't mean to rattle any cages.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
As I recalled the events, Baiul's mom was alive but ill when she won worlds in '93 -- but she died before the Olys in '94. I didn't mean to rattle any cages.

I was always led to believe that Oksana's mom died before she started training with Galina.

Hey, Vietterrific, what a relief to see your post. We hadn't heard from you since the Katrina disaster. You had us all worried.

Mathman :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Hey, Vietterrific, what a relief to see your post. We hadn't heard from you since the Katrina disaster. You had us all worried.

Mathman :)

Oh! I'm sorry for not updating my situation with you guys. I didn't know you guys were worried. Sorry about that.

Fortunately, most of my family is fine and our situation could've been a lot worse.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Oksana's mom died in 1991.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Vietgrl, glad to see you back posting. Also glad to know you and yours are doing okay after that hurricane mess.

Question: do you think Nagin should be the poster boy for Post Katrina Stress Disorder??? (anyone who doesn't understand that question oughtta look at his MLK comments)