Disastrous Competitive Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Disastrous Competitive Programs

M

MSI83

Others not mentioned...

Nicole Bobek at 1997 worlds- She was mourning the loss of Carlo Fassi- I don't think she was even able to land one triple jump in her final freekskate.

Michelle Kwan at a GP event before 2002 Olympics. I don't remember which event it was but she tried several new jump combos and fell. It was the first time she had placed out of the top 2 in a competition since 1996 Centennial On Ice.

Elvis Stojko and Tara Lipinski's SP's from 1996.

Lu Chen at 1996 CSF- Landed only 2 triples. First time she was off podium since her rise to the top.

Maria B at 2002 Olympics- she looked defeated in her LP.

Plushenko- I forgot which worlds did he drp from 1st to 4th? Was it 2000?

I

icenut84

Re: Others not mentioned...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Plushenko- I forgot which worlds did he drp from 1st to 4th? Was it 2000?[/quote]

That was 2000 Worlds, yep. He was 1st after the short and finished 4th after the free. His performance certainly could have been worse, but he probably let nerves get to him and he did make too many errors (especially on his attempted quads). The medallists weren't that great either! Not a stellar competition.

mzheng

Record Breaker

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Michelle Kwan at a GP event before 2002 Olympics. I don't remember which event it was but she tried several new jump combos and fell. It was the first time she had placed out of the top 2 in a competition since 1996 Centennial On Ice.[/quote]

May be it was SC? She was third behind IS and SH.

R

Raelynne

Tonia Kwiatkowski: 1997 and 1998 Nationals
Tim Goebel: 2003 Nationals

A

antilles

n/a

There was one of Kurt's in his pro career that was pretty bad. He forgot his program, and just kind of flubbed around the ice at the end.

K

Kabooke

Re: n/a

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Michelle Kwan at a GP event before 2002 Olympics. I don't remember which event it was but she tried several new jump combos and fell. It was the first time she had placed out of the top 2 in a competition since 1996 Centennial On Ice.[/quote]

It was 01' Skate Canada.
Michelle had two 3/3 planned.
She fell on the first 3toe and couldn't do the second.
She then attempted the lutz/loop. She landed the lutz but didn't have enough speed to complete the loop and got it around about 2 1/2 rotations and then fell out. I think she just hesitated on the lutz/loop and I think the concentration on that affected the first one. She had been doing them in practices at SA and SC, it was a good attempt though.

I think she ended up landing five triples in that performance.

L

Lcp88

Bourne and Kraatz - 2002 Olympic Freedance. That fall looked painful, to say the least.

Johnny Weir - 2003 Nationals. I really thought this was too bad. He had a chance to win, but it all went down hill after the SP.

Plushenco - 2002 SP at the Olympics where he fell on the quad. Even me, being a Yagudin fan, was feeling bad for the guy:cool: :D

Was it the 2000 Worlds where all the dancers got injured and S&P came in fourth w/ Love Story. That was probably my favorite rendition of Love Story, and I think they deserved Bronze.

Laura

K

KwanFan1212

Not sure about the 2000 Worlds dancers but that was the year they had all this security for something or another and I can't remember what it was all for. Someone got threatened or injured or something. Oh gosh, someone refresh my memory! :eek:

And yes, J&D skated Love Story in 2000 Worlds and honestly, that performance wasn't that bad to me. I expected worse the way people talked about that. I don't remember the other pairs from that year to say if they deserved bronze or not though. :eek: And I think their 2002 Canadians LP was worse than Worlds 00. That would be my vote for J&Ds worst performance. :( Jamie popped the throw triple salchow, fell on her triple toe, and only did a single axel. It was not a good performance at all and they were both devastated by the whole thing. I felt bad watching them come off the ice and Dave was so upset about it all. It was not good at all. :eek:

Some other ones for me are:

Michelle's 1997 Nats LP
Todd's Olys 02 SP and Olys 98 LP
Tim's 03 Nats LP (And actually, that entire LP competition is just painful!)
Angela's 02 Nats LP :(
Bourne & Kraatz Olys 02 FD (darn that fall)

I can't think of any others right now. I am brain dead tonight! VBS is wearing me out at church this week....LOL :eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

Re: Disastrous Competitive Programs

Here's another disastrous performance -- the 1989 Moscow Skate -- a pro event that featured the likes of Hamilton, Boitano, Orser, Thomas, and Biellman.

Scott Hamilton skated what was probably the worst long program of his life. He fell on the first three jumps - missing the takeoff on his triple lutz completely, falling on his triple salchow, and falling very hard on a double axel. He told the television commentator, David Sante, that "I couldn't find my center. I missed the first jump and everything became dizzy."
It was an embarrassment, so much so that Scott joked about hanging up his skates after the competition.

K

KwanFan1212

^^^I remember reading about that in his book. I haven't seen it but man, the way he described it made it sound really painful!! Poor guy. That would be rough to skate that badly and to fall so painfully too. Ouch!! :eek:

L

Lanechka

What happened to Angela in her Nationals 02 LP? I saw her SP, it was wonderful...

C

Chaignee

disasterous program?

The most disasterous program I've ever seen was Savard Gagnon and Bradet at the 1998 Olympics. It was so hard to watch, but it wasn't really their fault, since they were both sick. The only two clean elements were the throw triple toe and the split triple twist.

Laetitia Hubert's short program in the 1998 Olympics wasn't one that's easy to watch, either.

Krisztina Czako at the 1997 Worlds was heartbreaking.

A

antilles

Disastrous Competitive Programs

To answer a previous post, yes 2000 was the year of bad accidents. That's the year Peter Tchernychev (sp) collided with Albena Denkova and sliced up her foot. Another dancer was practicing a lift and his ankle just buckled under him (looked painful). There was also a pair team that went down in competition during a lift, and he was pretty much knocked out on the ice. The Wirtzes skated right after, and the accident really messed up their performance. The extra security was for Stephane Bernadis. Some guy slashed him with a razor blade outside his hotel room.

Jamie and David had a not so good short program too. She seemed to catch her blade going right into her side by side spin, and it really messed up the spin. IIRC didn't she single two side by side double axels in the long? I think they stopped doing two after that year. I don't remember how A

K

KwanFan1212

Angela's LP at the 2002 Nats wasn't totally that bad overall, but as a HUGE fan of hers, it was hard to watch. She fell on her triple loop and instead of fighting back and landing everything else, she doubled all the rest of her jumps and pretty much gave away her chance at an Olys spot. That was hard to watch after the awesome skating programs she did at the previous year's Nats. Sigh. :(

Thanx for the update on the events of the 2000 Worlds. I had forgotten all the details. And J&D did have a mistake in their SP at 2000 Worlds also. Jamie caught an edge during their spins and they got out of unison. LOL, that was almost more painful to watch for me since it was on a simpler element than a jump or throw! :lol: The rest of that SP was completely and totally awesome though, they hit all the other elements beautifully. :D

I think talking about awful SPs is almost a whole other thread title!! LOL :rollin:

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Well, since no has started the disastrous SP thread, I'll mention another one. Alexei at the GWG 2001. But the cool thing about Alexei and Evgeni having disastrous programs, if there is a cool thing about it, is how those programs made them both better skaters. For Alexei, it was a wake up call, and he won the Olympics, and after Evgeni's meltdown at Nice, he stopped trying so hard to win, and just tried to skate his best. And won worlds in 2001. :D

Laura :) </span>

K

korolyeva

Disaster

The biggest disaster I saw was Tonia Kwiatkowski during a pro-am competition in 1997. She was competing against Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, and some other ladies. She performed her "Hungarian Rhapsody #2" program and it was a disaster from the beginning. She kept falling, and barely hung onto her flying sit spin. Rosalynn Sumners, who was the commentator, said it was "Sloppy. Nowhere near Michelle or Kristi."

S

SusanBeth

Re: Disaster

Hello Everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading here. I'm giving away my age, but I remember an excruciating lp by Elaine Zayak at Nationals. I'm not sure of the year- '82 or '83.

It was like the lp nightmare from hell. The poor girl was throwing herself into the air and picking herself up off the ice. I have NEVER seen anything that approaches it. It made Debbie Thomas's lp at the '88 Olys seem like perfection!

At one point, she just seemed to go spontaneously to the sideboard and do a little cartwheel while touching the boards. I never knew if that was planned or a half hearted escape attempt. It's a wonder Dick Button didn't have a stroke. All he could manage was a few word fragments at that point.

M

Mathman3

Hi, Susan Beth. I am pleased to meet you and glad that you decided to start posting on Golden Skate. Welcome to the forum.

Mathman

H

heyang

I just recalled Naomi Nari Nam at 2001(?) Nationals. It was the year AFTER she won the Silver and could not go to World's due to the age requirement (2000?). It seemed like the following year (2001), she let the pressure of expectations get to her. During the LP, she was hurling her herself in the air without control and fell on just about every jump. She forgot to enjoy the skate.

I

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Jamie and David had a not so good short program too. She seemed to catch her blade going right into her side by side spin, and it really messed up the spin. IIRC didn't she single two side by side double axels in the long?[/quote]

Yeah she singled both the double axels, and she also messed up her triple toe.

Another disaster was a skater called T.S.Bombardieri from Italy, in her SP at the 98 Olympics. She made so many mistakes, and looked really deflated. I can't remember all the details, but I know on her combo jump she put her hands/free foot (?) down on the first jump, pushed herself back up and went for the double toe, and fell on it.