Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Disastrous Competitive Programs

Lanechka

Re: Disastrous Competitive Programs

What happened to Angela in her Nationals 02 LP? I saw her SP, it was wonderful...

Chaignee

disasterous program?

The most disasterous program I've ever seen was Savard Gagnon and Bradet at the 1998 Olympics. It was so hard to watch, but it wasn't really their fault, since they were both sick. The only two clean elements were the throw triple toe and the split triple twist.

Laetitia Hubert's short program in the 1998 Olympics wasn't one that's easy to watch, either.

Krisztina Czako at the 1997 Worlds was heartbreaking.

antilles

Disastrous Competitive Programs

To answer a previous post, yes 2000 was the year of bad accidents. That's the year Peter Tchernychev (sp) collided with Albena Denkova and sliced up her foot. Another dancer was practicing a lift and his ankle just buckled under him (looked painful). There was also a pair team that went down in competition during a lift, and he was pretty much knocked out on the ice. The Wirtzes skated right after, and the accident really messed up their performance. The extra security was for Stephane Bernadis. Some guy slashed him with a razor blade outside his hotel room.

Jamie and David had a not so good short program too. She seemed to catch her blade going right into her side by side spin, and it really messed up the spin. IIRC didn't she single two side by side double axels in the long? I think they stopped doing two after that year. I don't remember how A

KwanFan1212

Angela's LP at the 2002 Nats wasn't totally that bad overall, but as a HUGE fan of hers, it was hard to watch. She fell on her triple loop and instead of fighting back and landing everything else, she doubled all the rest of her jumps and pretty much gave away her chance at an Olys spot. That was hard to watch after the awesome skating programs she did at the previous year's Nats. Sigh. :(

Thanx for the update on the events of the 2000 Worlds. I had forgotten all the details. And J&D did have a mistake in their SP at 2000 Worlds also. Jamie caught an edge during their spins and they got out of unison. LOL, that was almost more painful to watch for me since it was on a simpler element than a jump or throw! :lol: The rest of that SP was completely and totally awesome though, they hit all the other elements beautifully. :D

I think talking about awful SPs is almost a whole other thread title!! LOL :rollin:

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="colorurple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Well, since no has started the disastrous SP thread, I'll mention another one. Alexei at the GWG 2001. But the cool thing about Alexei and Evgeni having disastrous programs, if there is a cool thing about it, is how those programs made them both better skaters. For Alexei, it was a wake up call, and he won the Olympics, and after Evgeni's meltdown at Nice, he stopped trying so hard to win, and just tried to skate his best. And won worlds in 2001. :D

Laura </span>

korolyeva

Disaster

The biggest disaster I saw was Tonia Kwiatkowski during a pro-am competition in 1997. She was competing against Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, and some other ladies. She performed her "Hungarian Rhapsody #2" program and it was a disaster from the beginning. She kept falling, and barely hung onto her flying sit spin. Rosalynn Sumners, who was the commentator, said it was "Sloppy. Nowhere near Michelle or Kristi."

SusanBeth

Re: Disaster

Hello Everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading here. I'm giving away my age, but I remember an excruciating lp by Elaine Zayak at Nationals. I'm not sure of the year- '82 or '83.

It was like the lp nightmare from hell. The poor girl was throwing herself into the air and picking herself up off the ice. I have NEVER seen anything that approaches it. It made Debbie Thomas's lp at the '88 Olys seem like perfection!

At one point, she just seemed to go spontaneously to the sideboard and do a little cartwheel while touching the boards. I never knew if that was planned or a half hearted escape attempt. It's a wonder Dick Button didn't have a stroke. All he could manage was a few word fragments at that point.

Mathman3

Hi, Susan Beth. I am pleased to meet you and glad that you decided to start posting on Golden Skate. Welcome to the forum.

Mathman

heyang

I just recalled Naomi Nari Nam at 2001(?) Nationals. It was the year AFTER she won the Silver and could not go to World's due to the age requirement (2000?). It seemed like the following year (2001), she let the pressure of expectations get to her. During the LP, she was hurling her herself in the air without control and fell on just about every jump. She forgot to enjoy the skate.

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Jamie and David had a not so good short program too. She seemed to catch her blade going right into her side by side spin, and it really messed up the spin. IIRC didn't she single two side by side double axels in the long?[/quote]

Yeah she singled both the double axels, and she also messed up her triple toe.

Another disaster was a skater called T.S.Bombardieri from Italy, in her SP at the 98 Olympics. She made so many mistakes, and looked really deflated. I can't remember all the details, but I know on her combo jump she put her hands/free foot (?) down on the first jump, pushed herself back up and went for the double toe, and fell on it.

berthes ghost

- Amber's 99 nats LP. This year was her best shot at the podium and she blew it.

- Todd and any Oly performance. He could have medaled any of the 4 times (I include his 94 nats melt down which prevented him from melting down in Lillehamer)

- Lulu 97 SP

- Midori 91 LP and 96 LP

- D&K at 96 worlds

- B&S at 97 worlds

- Slightly OT, but similar are the withdrawels. Caryn Kadavy at Calgary, Tonja S at Nagano, W&S at Lillehamer, Tai&Randy at Lake Placid, Urmanov in Lausanne,etc...

Raelynne

The biggest disaster I saw was Tonia Kwiatkowski during a pro-am competition in 1997. She was competing against Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, and some other ladies. She performed her "Hungarian Rhapsody #2" program and it was a disaster from the beginning. She kept falling, and barely hung onto her flying sit spin. Rosalynn Sumners, who was the commentator, said it was "Sloppy. Nowhere near Michelle or Kristi

She had to double jumps. Tonia was called in last minute and had no interpertive free or scaled down version.As for the other mistakes, well, there were just mistakes.

patrickbrunk

Plus, Tonia's sit spin error (totally freak in nature) was in the SP. And I am pretty sure she did not fall in her LP. It was definitely weaker then the others - but she was called in at the last minute and had no choice but use her full competitive program.

BronzeisGolden02

Tonia

I didn't see that competition but 1997 was a bad year for Tonia all around. I believe she finished 6th at Nationals, where she also performed "Hungarian Rhapsody", making numerous mistakes. But, all of that is eclipsed for me when I think about how she performed at the Minneapolis Worlds. She was spectacular. I would have had her in at least 4th for the long program! Too bad the international judges could never give her the credit she deserved.

SkateFan4Life

Tonia Kwiatkowski blew a golden opportunity to make the US Olympic team in 1998. Granted, with Kwan, Lipinski, and Bobek, her chances weren't the greatest, but I think Tonia could have won the bronze medal, over Bobek, had she skated the kind of program she was capable of skating. Alas,
    Kwiatkowski hit the ice, stumbled, and missed several of her triple jumps.

Another disaster - 1989 Skate America. Jill Trenary, the defending US champion and World bronze medalist, completely blew her long program. Falls, stumbles, etc. She did not successfully land one triple jump. It was a DISASTER, plain and simple, yet she received high enough marks to win the silver medal. Hmmmm. Tonya Harding won that competition with a strong technical long program.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast