Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why did Johnny's mom turn her back to us?

Custom Title

Question Why did Johnny's mom turn her back to us?

Did anyone else catch sight of that 'cold shoulder move'? At the end of Johnny's freeskate, the ABC cameras honed in on Mrs. Weir applauding her son. As soon as she realized that she was on TV she made an ugly face (exasperated look) & turned her back to us.

Sweet.....

At least the infamous 'Mama Mitchell' (of Galler-Rabinowitz & Mitchell letter-writing fame) showed her face to the cameras.

What's up with Johnny's mom? Is she as snooty as she seems to be???

she could just be one that doesn't like the camera... a lot of skater parents are like that

not all of them can be like the Baldwins who seem to enjoy the attention

Custom Title
    ooh dish!

I missed this, but my guess is that she is annoyed at ABC for trying to catch the families reactions. I must say the whole thing with Rohene and his mother was completely intrusive and uncomfortable to watch (for me). Honing in on Angela Nikodinov was heartbreaking and in general if a skater doesn't skate well, they turn the cameras on the family, which is kinda sad.

Custom Title

Johnny Weir's mom

What is the big deal. Maybe Johnny's mom is camera shy. Lets move on to more important things like the Olympics

diamond

Custom Title
    I definitely agree that the thing with Rohene & mom was intrusive!

ABC was definitely seeking all of these families out -- very often way up in the Skyboxes. Johnny's mom seemed to be in a nosebleed section, judging by the steepness of the rows above her. Hee-hee...the moral of the story is: No matter how hard you try to hide, ABC *will* find you!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondqueen
    What is the big deal. Maybe Johnny's mom is camera shy. Lets move on to more important things like the Olympics

diamond
    So is she going to hide in Torino too? Sorry but this *is* important. North American figure skating is personality driven. Johnny & 'Team Weir' are fair 'game'...especially when we're talking about rather eccentric personalities. As nice as ABC/ESPN has treated Johnny, one would think that his mother would be a bit more cooperative. By the way -- I LOVE Johnny's personality. He is an original -- a real 'hoot.' He had the single-most-hilarious quip of the telecasts, when Peter Carruthers asked him, after the SP: "Johnny, what are you going to do between now and Saturday's long program?" Johnny answered, with masterful comic timing: "I'm going to DisneyWorld!"
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-17-2006 at 04:20 PM.

I heard that Mrs. Weir is an undercover CIA agent assigned to thwarting terrorism at Torino. She didn't want to blow her cover. Next time you see her she will have on a red wig and sunglasses.

Custom Title
    Really, just let her be! Some people are camera shy. Johnny does not skate pairs with his mom, so she is not fair game.

She was very kind and sweet. I came up to her and told her what a pleasure it is to watch Johnny and how much my family loves his skating. She did not run away or ignored me. She thanked me.

Cameras are different. Some people make up signs to make it on TV and like to be on camera. She sat way up high...clearly she did not want to be seen cheering for Johnny.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    She was very kind and sweet. I came up to her and told her what a pleasure it is to watch Johnny and how much my family loves his skating. She did not run away or ignored me. She thanked me. .
    That's nice to know, Blues Fan.

The other really odd 'intrusion on family' was when the camera sought-out the father of one of the front-running ladies (Meissner or Zukowski...don't remember which of the two). THAT was really sad. The father was sitting all by himself, way up in nosebleed section, just slumped in his chair, immobile -- he did not applaud his daughter. I felt much more embarrassed by that intrusion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I heard that Mrs. Weir is an undercover CIA agent assigned to thwarting terrorism at Torino. She didn't want to blow her cover. Next time you see her she will have on a red wig and sunglasses.

ROTFL!!!! The sad thing is -- she probably WILL be in disguise, to thwart Scott Hamilton & the pesky NBC cameras. This could be the skating equivalent of 'Where's Waldo?'

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    That's nice to know, Blues Fan.

The other really odd 'intrusion on family' was when the camera sought-out the father of one of the front-running ladies (Meissner or Zukowski...don't remember which of the two). THAT was really sad. The father was sitting all by himself, way up in nosebleed section, just slumped in his chair, immobile -- he did not applaud his daughter. I felt much more embarrassed by that intrusion.
    I recall seeing that moment on TV. It was sad. He seemed to show no happiness over his daughter's skate.

Down With It
    That was Kimmie's dad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    ROTFL!!!! The sad thing is -- she probably WILL be in disguise, to thwart Scott Hamilton & the pesky NBC cameras. This could be the skating equivalent of 'Where's Waldo?'

Did you say Scott Hamilton? Uh oh, I guess I'll but the volume on low since he'll be yelling into the TV screen.

"Thwart Scott H. - NBC"
    I don't get the connections, does Scott now own NBC? Actually, I thought it was ABC so I just don't get it.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    "Thwart Scott H. - NBC"
    I don't get the connections, does Scott now own NBC? Actually, I thought it was ABC so I just don't get it.
    NBC is covering the Olys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast