Why did Johnny's mom turn her back to us? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why did Johnny's mom turn her back to us?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
That was Kimmie's dad.

To put a positive spin on the silent look of Kimmie's dad, after her LP: Maybe he was simply pondering the enormity of what lay ahead for his daughter (not to mention HIS future financial outlay...although at Kimmie's level, she surely get help from the Memorial Fund, etc).

Regardless, I thought that it was tacky of ABC to hone in on him like that. It's one think to show happy parents, applauding; it's another thing to show them gloomy.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Kimmie's dad was probably sick with nerves wondering if she would or would not make the Olympic team. If that was me I would be like a mental patient in the stands. I think we need to give the families a break.

S

SkateFan4Life

unafaluna said:
I spoke to Mrs. Weir myself and asked her that same question. She told me she was actually crying because of her nerves and the pressure on Johnny etc... she was by no means "snooty". Actually I found her the exact opposite. She was friendly and very bubbly. She did say she's not what you call a pretty crier.---I don't know many people who look good when they're having an emotional moment. I guess she didn't want the camera to catch that moment.

Thanks for giving us this up close and personal encounter with Mrs. Weir. I'm sure she's going to gain a great deal of experience in dealing with the media in Torino and in the years ahead.

It really has to be very, very nerve-racking to be the parent of a skater competing at Nationals, Worlds, and/or the Olympics. That's an understatement, to put it mildly.

Jhar55

Medalist
Yes, Toni it's Scott saw him on ET tonight he he told Mary Hart he would be doing the Olympics. Let's hope he learned his lesson from the last time.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Three Cheers to Mrs. Weir!!!! :clap:

I wanted to resurrect this thread simply to commend Mrs. Weir for her graciousness & willingness to make her 'personna' public on NBC. I specifically refer to yesterday's segment (either on TODAY or 'Olympic Ice') in which she & Johnny accompanied an NBC reporter to a cafe, sitting down & having coffee and dessert, whicle chit-chatting. DELIGHTFUL!

You see - there's no reason to turn a back on friendly cameras. Rock-on, Mrs. Weir!!! And best of luck tonight to Fabulous Johnny!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
People point cameras at me only at great personal risk. I don't see why she has to play up to the media. She's definitely not part of the show. She doesn't owe us the right to revel in her emotions. She is doing her "job" when she is there for her son.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
SusanBeth said:
People point cameras at me only at great personal risk. I don't see why she has to play up to the media. She's definitely not part of the show. She doesn't owe us the right to revel in her emotions. She is doing her "job" when she is there for her son.

Ah, SusanBeth, but read my last post (above). Mrs. Weir DID 'play ' with NBC. She took part in a delightful 'fluff' segment at a Torino cafe, seen yesterday. At the end of the segment, the NBC reporter promised that she would have other segments with Mrs. Weir in the coming days. So, in fact, Mrs. Weir is being very gracious. Three cheers to her! :rock:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Yes, but that was her choice, not a job requirement. People don't have the right to demand or even expect it.

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
I heard that Mrs. Weir is an undercover CIA agent assigned to thwarting terrorism at Torino. She didn't want to blow her cover. Next time you see her she will have on a red wig and sunglasses.

:rofl: Mathman! :rofl:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SkateFan4Life said:
Seriously though, Mrs. Weir needs to develop a more camera-friendly persona, especially if her son continues to skate for several more years in the eligible arena, and she attends his competitions.
Mrs. Weir doesn't need to develop anything. You didn't know the whole story but yet you jump in and start judgeing Mrs. Weir.

Do you say anything nice about anyone???

Dee

FauveNik

Rinkside
unafaluna said:
I spoke to Mrs. Weir myself and asked her that same question. She told me she was actually crying because of her nerves and the pressure on Johnny etc... she was by no means "snooty". Actually I found her the exact opposite. She was friendly and very bubbly. She did say she's not what you call a pretty crier.---I don't know many people who look good when they're having an emotional moment. I guess she didn't want the camera to catch that moment.

Funny I saw her do the same thing at the cup of Russia, missed it here though.
Fauve

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
SusanBeth said:
Yes, but that was her choice, not a job requirement. People don't have the right to demand or even expect it.

I totally concur. Thank you for your previous post, also, and thanks to all who defended Mrs. Weir. It was indeed gracious of her to do an interview segment (which I regret having missed), but she is certainly under no *obligation* to perform for the public.

The skaters work incredibly hard; their families make many sacrifices to enable them to realize their dreams, and we are the lucky recipients of the gift of watching their achievements. I, for one, am grateful for that gift. :)