N&K, T&M announce retirement following the Olympics | Golden Skate

N&K, T&M announce retirement following the Olympics

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
So, the top teams in ice dance and pairs will retire after Turin. That certainly helps other teams to make it to the podium at Worlds. I can see Canadians on the podium at worlds now.

The info was listed on Eurosport site for Europeans.

rain

Record Breaker
Well that's certainly not a big surprise. Gives some other teams a really great shot at the podium in dance and pairs for worlds, as you mentioned. That's exciting. I'd love to see Dubreuil and Lauzon with a dance medal for instance, and I think they have a better shot at worlds than Olympics. And whoever gets silver at the Olympics is practically a shoe-in for a promotion to gold at worlds in dance. Actually, I'm glad N/K are retiring from amateur competition. They're not my favorite team and it annoys me constantly how doted upon they are by the judges. It's dull when you already know who's going to win. This will leave the field virtually wide open - at least until the judges pick another darling, anyway.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think Europeans may be a set-up for G/G to surpass B/A. I suspect that last year's silver was the consolation prize for not getting to the Olympics, and that they may be dropped from the podium at Torino. I would not be suprised to see G/G get the gold at Worlds this year.

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, that opens the door for Tanith and Ben to become the first American ice dance team to win the World title! :bow:

It also opens the door for door for the wonderful Chinese pairs teams. :bow:

It is surprising to hear this, however. Would it be so difficult for both teams to continue on for one more month and win one final World title? Oh, well, that's the way it goes in the world of competitive figure skating.

euterpe

Medalist
Tatiana Totmianina is probably planning to have gallbladder surgery after Torino. She has had two debilitating gall bladder attacks over the past two months.

However, I wouldn't make any assumptions about which teams make the podium when there is a vacancy. Ice Dance can be very political, and who knows who the next "favored" one will be. Grushina/Goncharov, for example, may well be "promoted" to World Champion this year. Then they will likely retire. Delobel/Schoenfelder have also mentioned that they may not continue past this year, so they, too may get a podium spot.

As far as Belbin/Agosto are concerned, I am not assuming they are a shoo-in for an Olympic OR World medal, and it has nothing to do with their talent and ability. They ARE more than good enough, but as we know, ice dance judging can be downright peculiar.

In Pairs, just because TT/MM are retiring doesn't mean the Pettikhs will retire, too. They want one more World Championship, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them hang around for another year.

S

SkateFan4Life

I still hold to my opinion that Tanith and Ben would have an excellent shot at a World championship, given the retirement scenario of this thread.

It should be a very interesting Worlds!

Antilles

Medalist
Interesting that they made these announcements before Olympics. While they are favourites, they could falter. They aren't leaving themselves the option of a rebound skate and another World title as possible consolation. Of course, they can always change their minds. D&L are now reportedly reconsidering their decision to retire at the end of this season.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Good riddance to N&K. I'm so tired of them, I really am.

I don't know how likely B&A are to move up, though. Possibly it's just because I'm lukewarm on their style (I actually find myself preferring G&P among American teams) but I have to agree with the suspicion that the silver was more a consolation prize. We'll see how it goes at the Olympics.

Pairs, though--oh, I hope the Chinese move up, I really do. I love to watch their pairs teams.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
hockeyfan228 said:
I think Europeans may be a set-up for G/G to surpass B/A. I suspect that last year's silver was the consolation prize for not getting to the Olympics, and that they may be dropped from the podium at Torino. I would not be suprised to see G/G get the gold at Worlds this year.

I think you are spot on in your predictions :agree:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Hockeyfan I agree completely. I read about this last year and posted about it.

I just think that Canadians MAY get a chance to medal at Worlds, if others follow suit.

I personally see no reason for any of the above mentioned teams to stick around after the Olympics. I would be shocked if they don't medal in Turin, so that would be an improvement from SLC. They have won 2 World medals each, so no reason to go to Vancouver, exept to help out Piseev secure max spots for next year.

euterpe

Medalist
In Pairs, Piseev has no problem as both Pettikhs and OberSlavs will easily finish in the top 6 at Worlds.

In Dance, without N/K, the Russians will be down to two teams for 2007. DomShabs will easily make the top 6 or 7, but Khokhlova/Novitski probably won't make the top 10 this year. The only way I can see N/K staying on for Worlds is if they don't win the OGM (my hunch is if that happens, the Grushgons will win it and THEY will retire).

rain

Record Breaker
Given how fast G/G have advanced up the standings this year, I have no doubt they're being groomed to slide in behind N/K to challenge B/A and others once they retire. The apparent politicking at Europeans is adding an interesting note to the Olympics. I just hope F-P/M aren't being set up to win it - I've never been a fan.