~*The Future of Russian Figure Skating Dominance.*~ | Golden Skate

~*The Future of Russian Figure Skating Dominance.*~

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Where does everyone think Russian skating will be after the retirements of Navka/Kostomarov, Totmianina/Marinin, Slutskaya, and Plushenko? Do you think Domnina/Shabalin will take N/K's position as the chosen ones? Or do you think the era of Russian greatness if over and Grushina/Goncharov or Belbin/Agosto will reign supreme in the world standings? What about the future of their pairs program? Do you think that after T/M's and Petrova/Tikhonov's retirements that they will have such power in the world standings or that the fleet of Chinese pairs will sweep the gold of the worlds and Olympic podiums for years to come. In the men's field do you think the likes of Andrei Griazev, Sergei Dobrin, or Alexander Uspenski will be rocking, ruling, and reigning anytime soon after Plushenko retires? Or do you think they will doomed to be has beens that shined on the Junior circuits but dropped to the rock bottom in the Senior ranks? How about Irina? Do you think that once she, Volkova, and Sokolova retire or hit the pro ranks that Russian ladies will be on the world podium anytime soon? Maybe it's the Japanese ladies turn?

What does everyone think?​

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
As long as you insist on posting in bold type that hurts my eyes, I will not bother to read or reply to your posts.

soogar

Record Breaker
I hope Klimkin will hang around for at least another year for a shot at a World title (b/c it seems he's getting better at managing his nerves) and Euro title. I also think he could win a Russian title as well.

The men look the most promising in though they will experience a rebuilding period if Plush retires.

Maybe Vika and Elena will hang around for a few years. Russian ladies were never deep but this is one shallow pool and who knows, maybe Vika and Elena will experience the late career resurgence Irina has.

euterpe

Medalist
Plushenko is not retiring. In a very recent interview, he said he wants to skate until 2010.

Klimkin is an interesting skater, but a very inconsistent one. I don't think he will ever win a World title but another Euros medal is not an impossibility.

Elena Sokolova will be 26 next month. She might stay on another year, but sooner or later, she will move on. Viktoria Volchkova is the only other Russian lady with any real chance to stand on a World podium. She recently had knee surgery and hasn't completely recovered yet, but the RF had her skate at Europeans anyway. Beyond those two, there is Julia Soldatova who has been injured for the past 3 years. The Junior ladies, except for Veronika Kropotina, haven't managed to make their presence known in the Junior events. Veronika is 14, but after making the JGPF, she withdrew and didn't appear at Russian Nationals. No one seems to know what has happened with her.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Who says that these skaters will be retiring anytime soon? LOL! Plushy & Tot/Mar have definitely indicated their intentions to go through to at least the 2010 Olys. [Tot/Mar could easily be known as the 'new Protopopovs' by the time that 2010 roll around, with the heights that they have been reaching of late.] No need to 'turn pro' when the maximum amount of money can be earned as an eligible skater (and continue to win Oly and Worlds glory for your country, concurrently).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Totmianina/Marinin's coach, Vasiliev, said they were retiring after Torino, no matter how they placed. Slutskaya has said she'll keep skating if she feels good.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Frau Muller said:
Who says that these skaters will be retiring anytime soon? LOL! Plushy & Tot/Mar have definitely indicated their intentions to go through to at least the 2010 Olys. ... .

When did Tot/Mar indicate that they would be going through to 2010? Last I heard, Vassiliev had stated that they would retire after 2006.

Also -- I've noticed that the Russian ladies tend to be older than their American or Japanese counterparts. If MIchelle can't go to Torino, do you think she might skate for Russia?