Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Skating With Celebrities!

Can you believe how gorgeous Tai Babilonia looks?!!!!!

Can you believe how gorgeous Dorothy Hamill looks?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    I thought Bruce Jenner skated really well. Does anyone know how old Bruce is now? I'd be willing to bet that he's had some work done to his face, it looks kind of "tight."
    He's 55. Right sprightly for an old codger. But his face, yeah, he'll be looking like Kenny Rodgers and Mary Tyler Moore before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    I enjoyed Nicks the most.
    Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    It was really fun watching this, but I thinks it's a bit unfair that Dave and Jillian both have prior skating experience. I think all the celebs should be starting from ground zero.
    I agree. That's what spoils any possibility of making a real "competition" out of this. Todd Bridges could hardly stand up on skates, while Jillian had (I believe) quite of bit of training as a youngster.

I thought Kurt did the best under the conditions. He spent quite a bit if time pushing his partner around the ice, LOL.

I liked Nancy's Blues Brothers just fine. They had the most entertaining schtick, to me.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-19-2006 at 09:09 AM.

It's just pure, fun entertainment. I don't think it degrades the sport at all.

If anything, it will give more publicity to skating.
    Last edited by Johar; 01-19-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Not the droid you're looking for
    I had to pour a glass of wine to go with all that cheese, but it was fun to watch. And I liked the Blues Brothers number, thought it was really cute. And it sure was nice to see Nancy Kerrigan get up from an ending position not just smiling, but laughing out loud.
    But I was up way too late last night! My alarm goes off at 4:15, and my Spawn called me as Skating was ending to say, "Hey! Sasha's on Project Runway!"
    More coffee...
    xoxo
    Rave

My concern about the show is that it will give rise to "see, it's not really a sport, anyone can do this" type talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    My concern about the show is that it will give rise to "see, it's not really a sport, anyone can do this" type talk.
    I doubt anybody with common sense would think that way.

Custom Title
    It was very cheesy, indeed but fun!

I think the elvel of difficulty was harder than the corresponding British (the original) show.

I think that Kristy Swanson and Lloyd did a really good job, and even with the mistake their spirals were very good. She also had a very nice position on those lifts. He is the strongest, yes, but Kristy is also the most inexperienced to the sport and looked like the heaviest - so he better be strong!

I did not like Kurt's and Debbie's program. I think they should've been last.

Jillian and John looked the best, and boy can she spin in comparison to others! But they got graded on the "inverted" curve - they were much better than others but it looked like their higher skill level was taken into consideration.

John Nicks and his English accent is Skating with the stars answer to Simon from the AI

Tai was a joy to watch! I loved their routine.

Either way, I think the whole thing is a fix.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    The one thing I liked was someone saying..........this is really hard work, I will never say anything bad about figure skating again.......it was from one of the guys. I enjoyed the show. I think it could provide interest in the sport. I don't think Scott would be a part of something that would make the sport look bad.

Dee

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka

My husband said (direct quote) "This is why people don't take figure skating seriously... at least during the competitons, which are bad enough, those are professionals, this is just crap!" And yes, he does have common sense ~ even if it is misplaced...

My thoughts on the show: John Nicks wants to be Simon Cowell... that is reason enough not to watch it... Next thing you know we will have "Too Hot to Skate part deux"

No, not "Too Hot to Skate"! That was one of the worst skating shows ever.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    :My thoughts on the show: John Nicks wants to be Simon Cowell... that is reason enough not to watch it...
    You know, I'll bet thats thre "role" the producers want him to "play", though. I think they kind of want him to be the Simon (who rains on everybody's parade, just a little bit,) while Dorothy is more like Paula Abdul (there to build them back up and give encouragement!)

Or...maybe he's just a closet prima donna and this is his moment to shine...LOL!!

Custom Title
    I read a review where somebody called Bruce Jenner a plastic surgery "victim". Yes, it was mean but not totally inaccurate IMO.

Custom Title
    Given the spin in the practice footage, I don't think Kristy is the least experienced skater. I'd say among the ladies, Deborah is. Among the men, it's a tossup between Bruce Jenner and Todd Bridges, but Dave Coulier sure is awfully stiff for someone who spends so much time on the ice playing hockey! I know the skates are different but still...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes
    Given the spin in the practice footage, I don't think Kristy is the least experienced skater. I'd say among the ladies, Deborah is. Among the men, it's a tossup between Bruce Jenner and Todd Bridges, but Dave Coulier sure is awfully stiff for someone who spends so much time on the ice playing hockey! I know the skates are different but still...
    I thought Dave and Nancy were the worst b/c for all of Dave's experience, he should have skated much better than he did. He's obviously not putting a lot into his training and it shows.

I was very impressed wtih Bruce Jenner. At first I was shocked that such a good all around athlete like Bruce would have so much trouble. But he's 55 years old and it appears never skated before. I can tell that he was taking this event seriously because he showed a lot of technical merit and skill for an adult beginner. What he did was unbelievable for an adult beginner that has only been skating for a month: back and forward crossovers, spirals, waltz jumps and a spin. They should have been first.

Lloyd needs to work with his partner instead of making it all about him. JMO of Lloyd, but when he competed it didn't look like he knew how to work well with others until he paired up with Isabelle.

Gillian was annoying as usual but it was good to see her taking it so seriously and she was very excited to push herself and show off her skill.

Yummy Kurt was the highlight of this competition and you can tell Debbie loved to skate with him.

As for Nicks, he's so tongue in cheek. I wish they got Dick Button as well so the two old coots can play off of eachother. Yech, I hate Mark Lund with a passion. Couldn't they have gotten Richard Callaghan or Tara Lipinski?

Custom Title
    Fast National ratings are in, and Skating with Celebrities did really really well (that American Idol lead-in definitely helped).

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|99621|1|,00.html

Skating with Celebrities barely lost the 9PM hour to Lost (11.5/17 vs 11.2/16) which is really good, given what a success Lost is. American Idol of course blew away the 8PM hour competition with a 17.7/27, so Fox won the night overall with an average 14.4/22, and a 10.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic. No idea if the curiousity factor will wear off after the first episode or if it'll do worse on Monday at 8PM before 24 (without the AI lead-in), so who knows if the ratings will hold, but that's really good for the first episode.

Master Procrastinator
    I really enjoyed the show as a whole. I do think it is a bit unfair that Jillian B. is one of the competitors, though; she just has too much experience. I look forward to seeing this show on Monday.

I can NOT stand John Nicks on this show!! I had to mute him after a while. His performance is way too cliche and it drove me nuts. And it really bugged me that Scott kept calling him "Sir John". He has not been knighted.

I did think that the judges should have commented more on the spins, since that was the move they had to do.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast