Wanted: One Flag Bearer for Canada's Olympic Team at Torino... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wanted: One Flag Bearer for Canada's Olympic Team at Torino...

Antilles

Medalist
Mike79, while the Bay is now outfitting our athletes, they actually hired the same guy who did all the designs for Roots.

I think it is also the jinx athletes are worried about. Often when a top Canadian athlete has carried the flag, they haven't ended up with the results they wanted, ie Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Jean-Luc Brassard. Brassard actually blamed carrying the flag for his lousy perfomrance in the moguls.

Athletes don't usually ask to be picked, but some have actually asked to not be considered. I think if top ahtletes are worried, that Canada should give the honour to an athlete that isn't expected to make a podium. I'm sure it would be a wonderful highlight for anyone falling into that category.

Athletes seem mixed on the issue. Catriona LeMay Doan actually supports the athletes who say no.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
And these are educated, sane people who actually believe there is a jinx? How can they say that without being laughed out of town?:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

ildah said:
I think any athlete would be proud to carry the flag of their country. But isn't it the "carrying the flag" JINX that's the issue here? I'm pretty sure that's the problem. There has been talk of Carolina Kostner jinxing herself by carrying Italy's flag in the opening ceremonies. I'm pretty sure that's it. Nobody is jumping up to ask for the job, that would be a little bit egotistical and with the superstition around this, I think that's what it's all about. I never thought you volunteered for it anyway, I thought you were asked. But even if someone has been asked and declined, which I have not heard happened, I'll bet it's for the JINX reason.

If it is about not wanting to be the flag bearer just plain and simple, then I'm disgusted. But I'm pretty sure it's the reasons I gave. Who knows?

Carrying the Union Jack at the opening ceremony at the 1984 Winter Olympics certainly did not jinx Christopher Dean. I think it is a tremendous honor to be selected and/or asked to carry out this task. :thumbsup:

Usually the US team votes for the person they want to carry the Stars & Stripes in the Olympic opening ceremony. Quite often the person picked for this honor is not chosen because he or she is a gold medal favorite; in fact, it's often a person who is relatively unknown but who has pursued his or her Olympic dream and/or has overcome some type of adversity to participate in the Games. Quite honestly, I think Scott Hamilton was chosen to carry the flag at the opening ceremony at the 1980 Lake Placid Games as much for his courage in overcoming his childhood illnesses as for his up and coming promise as a competitive figure skater.

mike79

On the Ice
Regarding that jinx, I think that it developed after Browning and Brassard failed to make the podium in 94 and 98 respectively. Here's an article that basically lays to rest any ideas that the jinx is real. Scroll down to the bottom to read the results: http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story.asp?id=151271

I agree with Catriona LeMay Doan that an athlete shouldn't be put down for not wanting to carry the flag. It should be a personal choice. I think that she would know exactly the kind of reaction one would have.

Antilles said:
Mike79, while the Bay is now outfitting our athletes, they actually hired the same guy who did all the designs for Roots..

Really, I hadn't heard that, although it does make sense considering some of the apparel reminds me of the Canadian Roots outfits from the last couple of SUMMER Olympics. Oh well, hopefully the athletes look good coming into the stadium.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I watched this thing that Marnie did today on tv and she didn't mention the jinx but she was saying that a lot of athletes are saying that you have to go to other things (I guess just meetings they teach you what to do a bit) or something and it gets in the way of the training. Also the fact that the ceremonies are late at night and about 2 hours away from most of the competition venues so they think that it will drain them both emotionally and physically and they won't be able to perform their best (although I guess the jinx could just be from this anyway lol!) They think it will take the focus away from the competition which they definately don't want, and that it is a heart-wrenching decision for many of them... nothing to do with not having pride, she said, just they'd prefer to show their pride by bringing home them medals and having full concentration on what they have trained so hard for. I betcha most of this athletes would jump at the chance to carry it after the games in the closing ceremonies instead!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I know the solution. I will carry Mike with one hand. We would have to be in between the U S and Canada. He's healed up very well from the time I threw him in the ceiling fan. We might have to take turns carrying one another. After all, I am old. :bow: :rock: :) :cool:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The issue seems to be that the flagbearer has a tiring day of ceremonial responsibilities, and if s/he has to compete the next day, the entire process can be a distraction.

Antilles

Medalist
Mike, Maclean's had an article showcasing some of the clothes before the launch, and they interviewed the designer, which is where I found out that he was the Roots guy.

Skatefan, I believe the Canadian athletes get to vote on the flag bearer for the closing ceremonies.

While believing in jinxes is silly, if you spent your whole life training for that one big moment, I can see how some would start to believe in them, and not want any distractions.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
^I agree with that... however, for the reason that the athletes are saying that being the flagbearer can drain them emotionally and physically, well this could be true, and it could lessen their performance abiltiy and lower their standings, therefore, in a messed up way, making the jinx seem true after all. It may have nothing to do with a jinx, but it'd sure help in making someone who's training and in that atmosphere all their life believe in a jinx.:yes:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Let's face it, it's not nearly as much fun carrying the flag as it is to march with your friends, take pictures of the audience, and call folks on your cellphone. But DG, Millie, and I are all willing to sacrifice the big fun to carry the Maple Leaf for Canada! With our luck Sp$$dy will want to sit with us. If he does I'm calling Mathman so he can tell Speedy how much we all love and adore him.

humbaba

Final Flight
I recall seeing a report on flagbearers during a past Olympics where the reporter said the pole and flag were actually rather heavy and that schlepping them around was more physically taxing than one might think. The reporter said that athletes worried about tiring themselves out carrying the flag and that many countries try to choose an athlete whose event takes place later in the games so he or she has time to recover.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I do recall Kurt saying during one interview giving advice to the next Olympians in figure skating - "don't carry the flag in." I think the jinx idea has grown from one incident. Actually Catriona Le May Doan (Canadian Olympic Gold Speed Skater -Salt Lake Olympics - 2002) not only carried in the flag, she also won the gold in speed skating. So much for the curse!!

We Canadians are a different cup of tea. We march to a different drum - to borrow a few cliches. I actually laughed when I heard the news about the flag. It just seems fitting somehow that we don't take ourselves and the Olympics too seriously.

Anyway, I am sure someone will be appointed to do the job. Hey, I know, the solutiion! We have an election for a new Prime Minister coming up this Monday. Maybe one of the guys who doesn't win could do the flag carrying job. I am sure they will be looking for something to do after it's all over!!!

:laugh:

millie

Medalist
Ladskater said:
I do recall Kurt saying during one interview giving advice to the next Olympians in figure skating - "don't carry the flag in." I think the jinx idea has grown from one incident. Actually Catriona Le May Doan (Canadian Olympic Gold Speed Skater -Salt Lake Olympics - 2002) not only carried in the flag, she also won the gold in speed skating. So much for the curse!!

We Canadians are a different cup of tea. We march to a different drum - to borrow a few cliches. I actually laughed when I heard the news about the flag. It just seems fitting somehow that we don't take ourselves and the Olympics too seriously.

Anyway, I am sure someone will be appointed to do the job. Hey, I know, the solutiion! We have an election for a new Prime Minister coming up this Monday. Maybe one of the guys who doesn't win could do the flag carrying job. I am sure they will be looking for something to do after it's all over!!!

:laugh:

I wonder which one of them will be carrying the flag? Big day Monday for Canada.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Let's face it, it's not nearly as much fun carrying the flag as it is to march with your friends, take pictures of the audience, and call folks on your cellphone. But DG, Millie, and I are all willing to sacrifice the big fun to carry the Maple Leaf for Canada! With our luck Sp$$dy will want to sit with us. If he does I'm calling Mathman so he can tell Speedy how much we all love and adore him.

And WHAT as supreme sacrifice the Luging Diva's will be making - especially if we have to sit with Speedy. What the heck....we can distract him and impress him with a
chorusline5gn.gif
chorusline5gn.gif
chorusline5gn.gif
routine, then ask for his autograph. He won't realize he's signing up for a few changes to COP.

DG

millie

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
And WHAT as supreme sacrifice the Luging Diva's will be making - especially if we have to sit with Speedy. What the heck....we can distract him and impress him with a
chorusline5gn.gif
chorusline5gn.gif
chorusline5gn.gif
routine, then ask for his autograph. He won't realize he's signing up for a few changes to COP.

DG

Hey, can you put skates on these little guys and send them to the Olympics.:rofl: :rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker

I think the Canadians were pretty serious about S&P's gold medal thing.:p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
Hey, can you put skates on these little guys and send them to the Olympics.:rofl: :rofl:
With two of them together The U.S. could actually have hopes for a medal in pairs.:biggrin: