Stephanie Rosenthal on the local news tonight... | Golden Skate

Stephanie Rosenthal on the local news tonight...

nubka

Final Flight
I live not far from Salt Lake City. Tonight, on the local news, during the sports report, here was a nice bit about Rosenthal. They talked to her at the rink where she was practicing and showed a small clip from her Nats LP.

Stehpanie said that she loves really BIG crowds (like the one at Nats,) and that it doesn't make her nervous at all, she just likes to get out there and skate! She is excited to be the 2nd alternate for Jr. Worlds, and plans to be at the 2010 Olys (she skated as a "child of light" lantern bearer at the SLC Olys.)

When asked what she thought about "Skating With The Celebrities," she thinks it's great because it give skating more exposure.

She skated around and did a few doubles. All in all, a nice piece, and it was fun to see her again.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I really enjoyed watching this girl at nationals. She has real character on the ice and I can't wait to see what she can do given the time and committment to the sport that she needs to become a contender. Good luck to her.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Thanks for the summary, nubka! It'll be interesting to see if Stephanie decides to go to college this fall or defer. With her 8th place finish at 2006 Nationals, she has a shot at receiving a Junior Grand Prix assignment this fall, which would be her first international. Here's an article from the Salt Lake Tribune on Stephanie Rosenthal after her FS:
http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_3404756
I posted this link in the other forum earlier, but here is an interview with Stephanie from before 2005 Nationals:
http://www.unseenskaters.com/articles/20042005/20050105_stephanie.html

And here's a brief follow-up:
Unseen Skaters contacted Stephanie Rosenthal before 2006 U.S. Nationals (her fourth consecutive trip and third as a senior) to ask about her two new programs, one of which is a revamped version of her junior short program to Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit.” Here was her reply via e-mail:

“One of my main excitements of going to Nationals this year is being able to perform that “robot” short program in a stadium. My coach [Stewart Sturgeon] and I felt that the robot had a lot of potential to do well in the new system and it is my favorite program I have ever done. Stephanee [Grosscup] and I rechoreographed the robot [originally her junior short program in the 2001-02 season]. The footwork, spiral sequences, transitions, etc., all had to be completely redone, although we did keep some of the same dance moves as well as invent new ones.

[Note: A videoclip of Rosenthal’s “robot” SP performance from Pacific Coast Sectionals (Nov. 2005) is currently available for downloading at: http://www.mediazone.com/channel/figureskating/jsp/freeskate.jsp ]

My dad actually chose my [free skate] music. It is actually from the ballet “Ghost Dances” [by Inti-Illimani]. It is a beautiful piece about an oppressive dictatorship in South America and how many people were killed for political reasons. Each of the people dances their story of oppression guided by the three “ghost dancers.” It is such a neat piece because it has South American tones in the music and some folk dancing woven into the choreography. Stew choreographed that one. We had a lot of fun with it.”

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing this news!! Stephanie was certainly one of the great highlights of Nationals for me. Some how, some way I think she has a very bright future on skates.

DG

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I was not a fan of her short program... but I thought her free skate was one of the most beautifully choreographed peices I had ever seen. Good luck to her.

Vash01

Medalist
I really enjoyed both of her programs. She was such a breath of fresh air. She showed that every lady skater does not have to be a ballerina. There are different ways of skating and entertaining. I loved her creativity.

Vash

emma

Record Breaker
I too loved her programs, the music, choreography, presentation, connection with the audience...just wow, wow, wow. Now I'm very excited to learn she has her eyes set on 2010...here's hoping to seeing her skate often in the next few years!

ETA: i have Inti Illimani records...actual albums...now, I don't have a needle for my record player, nor is it connected to speakers...looks like I might have to update and modernize my music collection somehow (but cool choice of music by Mr. Rosenthal).

Last edited: