Ladies LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
And who is Gedevanishvili?

Joe

Elene made a splash on the JGP circuit in 2004-2005 season and I think did fairly well at Worlds. I don't really follow Junior skating all that much, but there was a thread on her a year or so ago. The guy that started it was of Georgian desent, I think, so he was very proud.

On a funny note, I read in Russian press that there were already suggestions from the media that she should get Russian citizenship since by a virtue of training in Moscow, she already spends more time in Russia than in Georgia. Of course, they were joking.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
What happened to Sussana? Another Finn beat her.
Joe

Joe, Susanna is having a foot injury, which will though heal quickly. Besides she also had a flu not long ago. I was very glad for Kiira, and thanks to the results of her and Susanna also in 2007 Europeans there will be 3 Finnish skaters in ladies event.

diver chick

On the Ice
Yeah for Carolina!! While I don't really liker her costume - her whole presentation nd skating has really matured IMO. I *love* her free and she seems to be harnessing some of the speed and gaining much more control on the ice. My boyfriend rarely comments on the skating when I am watching it as he hates it, but when Carolina came on he said 'is it a really short skirt or are her legs a milion miles long?'

I like Irina's music style this year - it suits her skating and personality far more than the heavy operatic pieces of choice these past few seasons, but I really think the choreography could be better. I think overall Elena had the better free and the better skate but unfortunately with the new system she was so far behind Irina that she had no hope - this is a major flaw in either the system or the people using it! As Nicky said during the pairs free, I can't understand how a couple like T&M are not getting in the 9's for skating skills as there really is not much more they can do to have perfect technique and the same goes for some of the ladies I saw last night! Why is it that the judges are afraid to really use the system?? I mean some of the lower skaters (Dytrt comes to mind) have really good basic skating skills and technique and yet the scores are being kept down in line with the rest of their scores. Is it so scary to think that a skater could have high skating skills scores and much lower component or presentation scores??

Sorry I have rambled a bit.......

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
1-What to say...After this, nobody has chance to fight to Irina! She is the best!
2-Elena skated very good and I am really glad that she is 2nd!
3-Caro,Caro,Caro 4ever! While I was watching,I was so nervous...will she do it?will she not? She did it! I think she really has a chance at Olympics!
4-Meier...good for her,she said her gold is to get into the top 5
5-Gedevanishvili made a boom, her time yet to come

Good luck to Plusenko today!

STL_Blues_fan said:
.On a funny note, I read in Russian press that there were already suggestions from the media that she should get Russian citizenship since by a virtue of training in Moscow, she already spends more time in Russia than in Georgia. Of course, they were joking.
Not unusual. The Prima Balerina of ABT is Nina Ananiashvili (Georgian) who comes out of the Bolshoi Ballet.

Joe

Jaana said:
Joe, Susanna is having a foot injury, which will though heal quickly. Besides she also had a flu not long ago. I was very glad for Kiira, and thanks to the results of her and Susanna also in 2007 Europeans there will be 3 Finnish skaters in ladies event.
That explains it. Susanna is my favorite European lady. It's time the Europeans produced top ladies besides Irina. Japan and N.America seem so far ahead of them. Looking forward to a hot Euros next year and Worlds.

Joe

anniemg

Rinkside
I thought Sokolova skated extremely well. It's been a while since we've seen her skate like this. She seemed really happy about it as well:clap:

On the other hand, I was very suprised to see Carolina. She has changed tremendously during this past year. Her skating has become a lot more mature, her posture has improved. She's really growing in me as a skater. I just find her choreography to be the best out of all the ladies yesterday. Who did it? Is it Kurt Browning again? If so, he does wonders! I think Carolina will become one of those skaters who have their own style, kind of like Slutskaya, she's no ballerina either, but still nice to watch.

Irina won fair and square, though I dont like her program this year. I think that last year's program was a lot better. Still works for COP though. And in general she's looking very strong. Her jumps are great-so are Sokolova's. So secure and high and great technique. I see them and then I think of Sasha and i see a huge difference. Of course Sasha is so petite she could never be se solid. Does that make sense? Oh well, just saying that in general, I agree with what the commentators were saying, the european ladies are looking very well indeed!

Sk8swan

On the Ice
anniemg said:
On the other hand, I was very suprised to see Carolina. She has changed tremendously during this past year. Her skating has become a lot more mature, her posture has improved. She's really growing in me as a skater. I just find her choreography to be the best out of all the ladies yesterday. Who did it? Is it Kurt Browning again? If so, he does wonders! I think Carolina will become one of those skaters who have their own style, kind of like Slutskaya, she's no ballerina either, but still nice to watch.

Yes, that's Browning job. To that I'd add every day ballet lessons she's been taking since the past yr which had done wonders to her.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Piel said:
Do people (meaning her family and friends) actually call Carolina Kostner "Caro" ? I just think of Karo syrup everytime I hear it. Carolina is such a beautiful name.
Don't know about her friends and family, but since "caro" is an Italian term of endearment (sweetie, dear, honey), it makes sense that Carolina would get such a nickname.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Not unusual. The Prima Balerina of ABT is Nina Ananiashvili (Georgian) who comes out of the Bolshoi Ballet.

Joe

Also, don't forget that the 'Father of American Ballet,' George Balanchine (born Balanchivadze) was a Georgian, though born in St. Petersburg! :thumbsup:

He emigrated to the US in the early '30s and founded the School of Am. Ballet and New York City Ballet.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I would say he is more like a Father of Modern Ballet.

Of course, it is not unusual for ethnic Georgians to live in Russia. Georgia was once a part of Russian Empire and people do move.

My point about Elene G. is that she was born in Georgia but moved to Russia to train with her family. Russian press knows that after Irina and Elena S. retire, there wouldn't be much more success for Motherland in the singles ladies for a while. So of course it would be nice for Russia if she were to switch nationalities. Mind you, it's all media talk. I have no idea what Elene would think of that. I am sure she is a very proud Georgian and wouldn't think of switching countries.

Also, they have been suggesting that more success can be achieved for Elene G if she were to skate under the Russian flag.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
I would say he is more like a Father of Modern Ballet..

Can't disagree with you, STLfan, though I'm sure that the British (with Sir Ashton) and Russians (with Fokine) would have a thing or two to say about that!

I'm just so thrilled for the raw talent and natural magic (charisma - artistry - whatever) that I see in ElieG! Glad that many of you agree!!! :clap: Now I wonder if ElieG will make the ABC/ESPN late-telecast of Euros, two weeks or so from now? She should, doggone it!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I hope she makes it to the broadcast. ABC did show Sara Meir a couple of years ago when she placed 5th, so there is hope. But I just don't know how they would squeeze her in with the limited amout of time which sadly includes a number of fluff episodes.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
CORRECTION: Yesterday (above) mathman asked me if Tugba Karademir of Turkey was going to Torino. I thought that she had qualified at karl Schefer Trophy last fall but, in fact, she is an alternate. The European Ladies who qualified via Karl Schefer are (according to their placements at KS):

3. Fleur Maxwell (Lux) - who failed to make it out of the SP roound in Lyon! Bad luck for her, as she is a lovely skater. Maybe she'll have better luck in Torino.

4. Elene Gadevanishvili (Geo) ...and we know how much she deserves it!!!!

5. Elena Glebova (Est) 15th in Lyon
and (last spot)
6. Roxana Luca (Rom)...withdrew one minute into her SP in Lyon, due to injury. Perhaps one of the alternates (Tugba?) may have a chance to skate in Torino, after all?????

p.s. 1st & 2nd at the KSTrophy were China's Yan Liu and North Korea's Yong Suk Kim, by the way.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks!!!....

...for turning me on to Elene!! I had not seen her before, and there is a video available for download at the fsvids site. :) She will be fun to watch in the coming years, and I wish her well at the Oly's!! Glad to know she's going. She's a very pretty skater.

DG

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Piel said:
Do people (meaning her family and friends) actually call Carolina Kostner "Caro" ? I just think of Karo syrup everytime I hear it. Carolina is such a beautiful name.

Sorry Piel, I overlooked your post.
It's mostly friends who call her Caro. I agree, Carolina is a beautiful name but I find myself calling her Caro most of the times just cause.... it's shorter :p
Her parents call her Carolina though (at least the times I heard them call her).

Johio, you're right, "caro" means "dear" in Italian but that's for a male. A female would be "cara". So that's not the reason why Carolina is called that. As I said above "Caro" is just the shorter version of Carolina ;) It's not unusual to do that with long Italian names. Take Valentina for example, well most people would call her "Vale" or Federica "Fede", and so on...

Last edited:
Frau Muller said:
Also, don't forget that the 'Father of American Ballet,' George Balanchine (born Balanchivadze) was a Georgian, though born in St. Petersburg! :thumbsup:

He emigrated to the US in the early '30s and founded the School of Am. Ballet and New York City Ballet.
If you saw the film Ballet Russe recently released, you will find Ballanchine in the beginning of the film with the Russians kicking him out of the Ballet Russe, and then at the end of the film there he is establishing the Amercian School of Ballet and the New York City Ballet company, Mr. B established the ballerinas to have short torsos and long legs. All the companies today do just that. Russians who have joined NYC Ballet have had a tough time with the Ballanchine style. Ask Mischa Barishnikov. He also got rid of ridiculous scenery and costumes. Many Russians still disapprove of that. His favorite US dancers: Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Joe