Transcript of MK interview on 1/14/06 | Golden Skate

Transcript of MK interview on 1/14/06

R.D.

Record Breaker
Credit to JBlanch on MKF for posting this there. I would like to share it here for the Kwan fans:
Michelle Kwan

Jan. 14, 2006

How confident are you that you will be 100 percent by the Jan. 27
monitoring session, and can you tell us exactly what kinds of jumps you
are doing right now?

“I started skating on Saturday, all of the spins and steps and just a
few jumps. But, I feel my body, I know my body and I listen to my body
every day. And, I feel that I can start jumping any day now. I kind of
need to not jump the gun because I have to listen to the doctor’s
orders and take it easy and just pace myself so I can peak at the right
moment.”

Just to clarify – you have not started jumping?

“I started jumping on Friday. I worked on the triple toe and some
doubles and I had no problem.”

Could you describe what your understanding of the five person committee
that will see you skate?

“We haven’t decided exactly what I will be doing. As much as I can
show for them. Show them also that the elements – check my levels,
footwork, and the spins knowing that for certain that they are a high
component or high levels. The details – I really don’t know.”

In the past you have been able to whip yourself into shape fairly
quickly – you are doing it now at age 25. Do you think there is any
way you may be overestimating your ability to do it this quickly?

“No, you know, my body is pretty amazing. Everybody’s bodies are
amazing if you have the mind for it. It was a really difficult past
couple of months, and it is frustrating. I know that I will be better,
and I know that I can be fit form for the Olympics. I am very confident
in how my body will react.”

Is it a surprise to you that you might have to do the short and long
program at the monitoring?

“It is not a surprise to me at all. I know some of the things that
happen at this monitoring. Also, I have to say that I am my biggest
critic. If I can’t feel if I’ll be ready I will pull myself off of
the team, and I said that before, and I am sticking to it. If I don’t
believe that I can be at 100 percent and at my best I won’t say that
it is good for me to go.”

How do you feel right now?

“Really good, really good. It (the injury) has been improving a lot
and I feel that I might have to avoid a jump or two, but (there is)
nothing right now that (is) stopping me right now.”

Who called you with the announcement that you had made it, and what was your reaction?

“I watched it on TV – ESPN News. I didn’t know what to think of
it. All of this time I said to myself whatever the answer is – I just
want to get better, keep on doing what I can on the ice and nurse my
injury. But, when I heard the news of course I am thrilled. But, I also
know what Emily (Hughes) is going through, because I can relate. I was
in her shoes in 1994 with Nancy (Kerrigan).”

Just to clarify – if you can’t do a couple of jumps – right now or
through the whole process?

“The double Axel is one of the jumps that pulls in and causes the most
pain. So, that would be something I can pop in at any time. It is not
something I am worried about.”

On controversy swirling around the selection of the Olympic team:

“I know that it has caused a lot of attention in the media, but it is
a decision that is not up to me. With all my heart, I wish I was in St.
Louis competing. I have been to 13 nationals and I haven’t missed one.
So, it is really disappointing to sit home and watch. I have gone
through a lot of emotions. I have a great support system around me. I
have been getting text messages from competitors at nationals and it has
been keeping my spirits high. It is a positive vibe.”

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks RD! Hmmm regarding the 2A. IIRC that was the jump she was doing 2 or 3 in a sequence last Summer at COI. Does anyone know if doing the 2A can cause a groin injury or what caused her groin injury? I just kind of assumed it was probably caused by tring to do better layback type spins. It seems that trying to get into a good position could pull a groin muscle especially if one lacks lower back flexibility as Michelle does.

Vash01

Medalist
Great interview. I hope she skates well during the monitoring session and is 100% by the time the Olympics begin. She will have one more week to heal since the ladies event is the last one.

Vash

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Vash01 said:
Great interview. I hope she skates well during the monitoring session and is 100% by the time the Olympics begin. She will have one more week to heal since the ladies event is the last one.

Vash

One more week? With her test skate on Jan 27, won't she have closer to one more month?

Thanks, JBlanch of MKF, for letting us post the interview. Great stuff! Well, Michelle's got the mind and heart, that's for sure. Now her body just needs to do what they want. Best wishes to Michelle.:agree:

Rgirl

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:clap:

Thanks RD for the interview... So very glad to hear about her progress and continue to marvel at how together she is, both as an athlete and a person.

Thanks RD. It is quite a right on interview especially about the jumps and the fact that some are not yet ready. This is what I would call honesty in facts and not just honesty in opinion. No put downs of other skaters is the Kwan motif.

She seems ok with the situation as it is. Let's see what happens on Jan.27.

Joe

Piel said:
Hmmm regarding the 2A. IIRC that was the jump she was doing 2 or 3 in a sequence last Summer at COI.
Actually, it was the jump that she was doing 4 of in sequence in COI, in her spotlight moment in the closing number. In the next set of CoP rule changes (if I have my timeline right?) the ISU prohibited doing a sequence that included more than one double Axel.

So here's a question. Suppose the USFS committee evaluates Michelle and decides she is not going to be ready. They tell her privately, you're out, Emily's in, but we will give you the courtesy of letting you make an announcement saying that you are withdrawing voluntarily because of injury.

What should she do? Be all sweet and nice and let USFS off the hook, or go down swinging? (Go down swinging would mean, make no statement at all and let the Committee announce whatever they wanted to. Then come back and win the US and world championships in 2007, LOL.)

MM :)

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Actually, it was the jump that she was doing 4 in sequence in COI, in her spotlight moment in the closing number. In the next set of CoP rule changes (if I have my timeline right?) the ISU prohibited doing a sequence that included more than one double Axel.MM :)

Hmmmm but the B move is still allowed ad nauseum. I'll bet if Irina did an 2A sequence they would have made it mandatory in the short and given double bonus points for it in the long.:biggrin:

I think should should tell the USFS to kiss her axx and join SOI.

Last edited:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Piel said:
Thanks RD! Hmmm regarding the 2A. IIRC that was the jump she was doing 2 or 3 in a sequence last Summer at COI. Does anyone know if doing the 2A can cause a groin injury or what caused her groin injury? I just kind of assumed it was probably caused by tring to do better layback type spins. It seems that trying to get into a good position could pull a groin muscle especially if one lacks lower back flexibility as Michelle does.

Axels (and 2sals, for that matter) can cause injuries to the hip flexors and groin. At least, they did for me. :frown2:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Hmmmm but the B move is still allowed ad nauseum. I'll bet if Irina did an 2A sequence they would have made it mandatory in the short and given double bonus points for it in the long.:biggrin:

I think should should tell the USFS to kiss her axx and join SOI.

Piel,

If there was EVER any question about how smart you are, it has been answered... (Not that I'd suggest dirty dealing in figure skating ;)

As to the question what should Michelle Kwan do? I don't think the USFSA would say she wasn't ready, because I don't believe it was ever up for debate that she wouldn't be given a spot ~ the USFSA might be dumb but I don't think they are stupid ~ but I'm sure there is a lot of sweating going on in Colorado Springs that she will pull herself off the team... Why? An injured Kwan is still more popular (i.e. profitable) than a healthy Emily Hughes. For those that say "pish posh" I submit the '06 Nationals coverage aka "All Kwan All the Time" even without her there, Nationals continued to be the official sponsor of "KwanFest."

It should be an interesting couple of weeks...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing RD. I hope Michelle continues to make progress so she can skate the Oly's!! Mathman - of course I don't have a crystal ball either, but I'm betting Michelle will know where she is at on the 27th, and I bet the committee will trust what she says. I really think Michelle will make the final call. If her private personality is similar to her public one (and I have no reason to suspect it's not) then the LAST thing she would want to do is go to the Oly's and skate poorly. So...I think it will be MK's call no matter who makes the announcement one way or the other. She's got class!

DG

Mathman said:
What should she do? Be all sweet and nice and let USFS off the hook, or go down swinging? (Go down swinging would mean, make no statement at all and let the Committee announce whatever they wanted to. Then come back and win the US and world championships in 2007, LOL.)

MM :)
Remember this is not a team sport or even another sport. Decorum is an absolute necessity. that's why there is no figure skating in a Sports Bar.:biggrin:

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Remember this is not a team sport or even another sport. Decorum is an absolute necessity. that's why there is no figure skating in a Sports Bar.:biggrin:

Joe

There is at "Dorsey's Penalty Box".;)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joe, it's from the movie "The Cutting Edge". Doug Dorsey is a hockey player who gets injured and can no longer play hockey. He becomes a pairs skater. His brother owns a sports bar called "Dorsey's Penalty Box". MM's joke was that it was called "Dorsey's Kiss and Cry" because of the switch from hockey to figure skating.

Thanks Piel. I have limited interest in figure skating so skating movies are not high on my list of things to see. I just enjoy real competitions and not competitions made for TV.

Joe