Kurt and Lloyd both deserve better.... | Golden Skate

Kurt and Lloyd both deserve better....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think appearing on Skating with the Celebrieties (most of these folks careers went down the drain years ago anyway - hardly celebreties now) is a real comedown for Kurt Browning and Lloyd Eisler. What were they thinking? Who talked them into joining this three ring circus? Are things that slow in the figure skating world that they have to take on this sort of gig?

On tonight's ET program there was a segment about the skating with celebrities show and Kurt and Lloyd's names were not even mentioned - I guess in the US they are not as widely known as they are here in Canada - so no mention. Kurt and his partner were briefly shown, her name was mentioned but not Kurts.

Also it was hinted on ET the celebrity to watch for is none other than Bruce Jenner!!! Are they kidding? He can barely stand up on his blades. I know kids that could skate circles around him. He was horrible. I think Bruce must be pals with Dorothy from their Olympic days. Hey isn't that favortism? The old judging system is alive and well at Skating with the Celebreties!!!

Okay - that's my rant for the day.

guinevere

Final Flight
I can't really agree that the skaters here "deserve" better, since they seem to have gladly walked into it. But the show isn't really for skating fans - it's for celeb-watchers who are hoping to see the celebs (i.e. not the skaters) fall on their butts a lot and make fools of themselves.

I agree it's too bad that the skaters aren't given more of the spotlight, but considering the show, it might be better for them in the long run if people don't remember their names from the show.

Linny

Final Flight
not my take

The watching to see falls idea... that's not really my take. My take is that the show is for all of us who have dreamed of skating with Kurt or Lloyd or whomever... so you get to see non-skaters give it a try.

Linny

lulu

Final Flight
Linny said:
The watching to see falls idea... that's not really my take. My take is that the show is for all of us who have dreamed of skating with Kurt or Lloyd or whomever... so you get to see non-skaters give it a try.

Linny
But would the general public-esp. the American public know who Lloyd Eisler even is? They might have heard of Browning, and I'm sure they probably remember Dorothy, Nancy and for those who were around back then, even Tai. The show is a knock off of "Dancing w/ Celebs"; pairing semi celebrities and semi celebrity skaters. I agree with the poster who stated that the main puprose of the show is to watch how the non skating celeb does skating.
Also agree that Kurt & Lloyd and co. don't really 'deserve' better since no one forced them to sign up for this show.
It's just a harmless fluff show, hopefully they all had a lot of fun in the process too.

Teenes

On the Ice
Why'd Kurt and Lloyd do it? Let them explain themselves.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...C/20060118/SKATE18/TPEntertainment/TopStories

But would the general public-esp. the American public know who Lloyd Eisler even is?

They will now! Skating with Celebrities has been getting a lot of press (not nearly all of it negative), and got huge ratings on Wednesday night. It's a lot of exposure to an audience that doesn't usually watch skating. And quite frankly, I don't think this show makes the skaters *or* celebrities (or the sport) look bad. In fact, that was a complaint from some of the reviews of the show - that it was hard to laugh at the celebrities making fools of themselves when it was obvious that they'd worked really really hard.

I've seen an upswing in the number of hits to my Kurt Browning site, and apparently the Ina & Zimmerman site has shot way up in the number of hits it's been receiving in the last couple days. So apparently, it is piquing some people's interest in the skaters...

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
I can't really agree that the skaters here "deserve" better, since they seem to have gladly walked into it. But the show isn't really for skating fans - it's for celeb-watchers who are hoping to see the celebs (i.e. not the skaters) fall on their butts a lot and make fools of themselves.

I agree it's too bad that the skaters aren't given more of the spotlight, but considering the show, it might be better for them in the long run if people don't remember their names from the show.

What I mean by better - I think this format is a little corny for skaters of their calibre to be participating in. I hate to see figure skating going into such a low form of entertainment. It's sort of like watching pro wrestling or something for lack of better description. I don't know, no one here certainly has to agree with me - just an opinion - of course, I don't have to watch the show either.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ah but pro wrestling doesn't lack for an audience like skating does. It is the highbrow reputation of skating that turns a lot of folks off. I say if the skaters themselves don't mind and it brings a bigger audience or better appreciation to the sport then skate on.

While I am not going ga ga over this I do think the winner if that is important would be the celebrity and not to worry about the skaters. They have to put up with the contestants ability to skate. Some have had skating experience, others have not.

So don't worry about the skaters, imo.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I think the success of the show will be told on Tuesday morning.

The 1st episode of the show was right after American Idol. The ratings were great since it almost beat ratings blockbuster Lost.

However, the show is moving to Monday's with no popular lead in show. For me, there's nothing must see on Monday's, but will people like the show enough to remember to watch on Monday?

mike79

On the Ice
The reason that I think the skaters got involved with the show was to try and regain some of the popularity that skating once had a few years ago. With ratings for skating on the declne recently it makes sense for some of the best to try and bring it back to the status it once held.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm interested to see how well Kurt does... like he said he's completely out of his element in this... granted he's skating "pairs" with Tara and Kristi and Josee (and I guess Katia in 97) but at the same time it was basically two skaters on teh ice at the same time with the same level of polish... he's supposed to be the person Debbie leans on and he's as much a fish out of water as she is...

it's entertaining... it's not as high brow as piel said and that's what makes it so turn offish to the "traditional" skating fan... me I was in it from the beginning because of cheesefests... so bring on the cheese!:laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Nancy said, in her ET interview, that the show and being on the West coast gave her the time and incentive to lose the "baby weight."

ladybug

On the Ice
I thought it was cute and everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun. Maybe people who only watch figure skating once every four years will understand just how difficult skating really is.

Whatever it takes to get people interested in skating again is a good thing. That will give us better coverage on the comps and other skating shows in the future. Maybe even a few more pro competitions especially after the Olympics when so many skaters will be retireing.

Ladybug

nicole_l

Final Flight
The thing with this show is that I consider the celebrities to be Kurt Browning, John Zimmerman, Jenny Meno (didn't she like just have a kid?), Lloyd Eisler, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tai Babilonia.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ladskater said:
I think appearing on Skating with the Celebrieties (most of these folks careers went down the drain years ago anyway - hardly celebreties now) is a real comedown for Kurt Browning and Lloyd Eisler. What were they thinking? Who talked them into joining this three ring circus? Are things that slow in the figure skating world that they have to take on this sort of gig?

On tonight's ET program there was a segment about the skating with celebrities show and Kurt and Lloyd's names were not even mentioned - I guess in the US they are not as widely known as they are here in Canada - so no mention. Kurt and his partner were briefly shown, her name was mentioned but not Kurts.

Also it was hinted on ET the celebrity to watch for is none other than Bruce Jenner!!! Are they kidding? He can barely stand up on his blades. I know kids that could skate circles around him. He was horrible. I think Bruce must be pals with Dorothy from their Olympic days. Hey isn't that favortism? The old judging system is alive and well at Skating with the Celebreties!!!

Okay - that's my rant for the day.

I agree. It is sad as a proud Canadian to see two of our great Champions of the past demean themselves to something like this. Reality TV fevor is so prevelant these days it can absorb anyone it seems. Television is adrift in an increasinly sillier sea of the most ridiculous, pitiful, bizarre, reality series, and people from all walks of life-actresses, athletes, models, etc...have been invaded by it.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Teenes said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...C/20060118/SKATE18/TPEntertainment/TopStories

They will now! Skating with Celebrities has been getting a lot of press (not nearly all of it negative), and got huge ratings on Wednesday night. It's a lot of exposure to an audience that doesn't usually watch skating. And quite frankly, I don't think this show makes the skaters *or* celebrities (or the sport) look bad. In fact, that was a complaint from some of the reviews of the show - that it was hard to laugh at the celebrities making fools of themselves when it was obvious that they'd worked really really hard.

I've seen an upswing in the number of hits to my Kurt Browning site, and apparently the Ina & Zimmerman site has shot way up in the number of hits it's been receiving in the last couple days. So apparently, it is piquing some people's interest in the skaters...

Thanks Teenes for the article link! I finally go around to reading it and the article cleared up a few of my concerns. It looks like both Lloyd and Kurt went into this thing with an open mind. Both of them are great with audiences so I can see how this may have appealed to their entertainment side. I wish them the best and hope they have fun.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Teenes said:

Thanks Teenes for the article link! I finally got around to reading it and the article cleared up a few of my concerns. It looks like both Lloyd and Kurt went into this thing with an open mind. Both of them are great with audiences so I can see how this may have appealed to their entertainment side. I wish them the best and hope they have fun.