Negative Article Re: Kwan in Houston Paper | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Negative Article Re: Kwan in Houston Paper

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it's OK to say that Kwan was given the spot, rather than "earned" it. Whether she DESERVES to be given the spot is a whole 'nother debate in itself, but I don't think it's a bash to say that Kwan was handed the spot (because she was).

But we'll find out if she is supposedly fit enough to go to the Olys on the 27th. If she decides to go to Turin but knowing she's not quite "there" but expects to be in time, and ends up having a rough time, then some people might question her motivations.

heyang

Record Breaker
My issue with the writer is that he makes no mention that only the gold medalist is guaranteed a spot. He makes it seem as though this is a random act at the whim of the USFSA. How can he say that she has not been a threat since 2003? She was on the podium in 2004. She just missed in 2005 due to a bad QR.

Would this writer have denied Sasha or MK a by if they had had the flu with 100+ degree fever? Getting the flu is a risk - just as injury during training or competition is a risk.

fscric

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Michelle does not belong just to the MK Forum. She belongs to the whole world. Therefore, it is the responsibilty -- nay, the duty -- of all of us to rise as one to her defense. :yes:

That's hilarious. I think all Kwan fans have to learn to have this sense of humour otherwise it's hurtful to the health every time we read the posts from posters who dislike Kwan, particularly those with illogical and irrational comments. But then, not everyone possess this wit as you, I can only order myself to hold my calm and not respond to every one of those posts.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Michelle does not belong just to the MK Forum. She belongs to the whole world. Therefore, it is the responsibilty -- nay, the duty -- of all of us to rise as one to her defense. :yes:

"Nay, the duty"? :rofl: I'm with emma. I'm going to have to invest in a computer company or something just to keep replacing my keyboard and monitor. Or else invest in cases of good cleaners.:rofl:

Well, writers are entitled to their opinions even if they're wrong the majority of the time.:laugh:

nubka

Final Flight
fscric said:
That's hilarious. I think all Kwan fans have to learn to have this sense of humour otherwise it's hurtful to the health every time we read the posts from posters who dislike Kwan, particularly those with illogical and irrational comments. But then, not everyone possess this wit as you, I can only order myself to hold my calm and not respond to every one of those posts.

I think ALL of us (no matter what skater we like or dislike,) from time to time, make "illogical and irrational comments."

(I would put a smiley face here, but I don't seem to have that function!)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This wasn't just poor journalism, it was a case of "sour grapes" on what appears to be a slow "sports" news day.........you gotta love it when NBA stars are punching out fans in the stands but Michelle gets cyber "rotten eggs" thrown at her in the form of "poison pen" journalism.........it was so ludicrous that it made me laugh............:p 42

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just wish that guy would crawl back under his rock and stay there. Hopefully some big foot will come along and squash him. Grrrrrrrrrr:frown: :frown2: :eek:

Whether or not Kwan actually goes to the Olys is still up in the air.

I can understand the posters who have never liked Kwan questioning the Committee's decision and those who have always liked her defending her right to go. This is the never ending debate until January 27 in which case there is no point in prolonging these wishes.

I still think Kwan herself, will let the Committee know if she is capable. She's that kind of Lady.

If the Committee and/or Kwan turn down the spot on the Olys, then what is it about Emily that makes her the best one to go. Is it a bronze at Nats sufficient to say she will medal in Torino? I don't think so.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Emma.........you're just going to have to not swallow any liquid when reading Mathman's posts.......we've all learned the hard way.......:laugh: 42

nubka said:
(I would put a smiley face here, but I don't seem to have that function!)
If you can't see the list of smilies off to the right when you type a post, try adjusting the security settings of your browser. Or you could try to enter them by hand

:) for smile

:rofl: for the famous rolling on the floor, etc.

Make sure that the box "disable smilies in text" is NOT checked at the bottom.

Justafan

On the Ice
Piel said:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/3599640.html

What can I say they gave us George Bush.....both of them. I wonder if the Taylors or Lipinskis own stock in this paper?

As a Houstonian and a Kwan fan, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt indict the whole city for one ignorant sportswriter who probably doesn't know a lutz from a baby baboon. By the way, Lipinski and Taylor both skated in Sugar Land..not Houston.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Justafan said:
As a Houstonian and a Kwan fan, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt indict the whole city for one ignorant sportswriter who probably doesn't know a lutz from a baby baboon. By the way, Lipinski and Taylor both skated in Sugar Land..not Houston.
Justafan I know that, but....
Newspapers of Sugar Land, Texas
Fort Bend Star
Fort Bend Sun
Herald-Coaster
Houston Chronicle
Houston Press

You have my deepest sympathies regarding the Bushes:biggrin:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
On balance most articles about the bye have been supportive. I'd say it's running 75% positive vs. 25% negative - although that's just my impression. I certainly don't have any stats to back it up. Frankly I don't get worked up over articles written by journalists that don't follow the sport in non-Olympic years.

Anyway, what's amusing is this notion of the "top 3" going to Olympics. Casual fans are conditioned into believing that the U.S. gets 3 spots for the ladies, forgetting that those spots have to be earned. Think how the next National bronze medalist is going to feel about missing the Olympics if only 2 spots exist? We take a lot for granted with our embarassment of riches in the ladies skating. With the emergence of Japan, we may find our traditional lock of 3 spots from the past decade will not be quite as secure in the decade ahead.

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
Piel said:
Justafan I know that, but....
Newspapers of Sugar Land, Texas
Fort Bend Star
Fort Bend Sun
Herald-Coaster
Houston Chronicle
Houston Press

You have my deepest sympathies regarding the Bushes:biggrin:

Just so you know...the Bushes are transplanted Texans from Connecticut. We didn't ask them to move here...at least I darn sure didn't...but I don't want to get off on a political tangent.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
Anyway, what's amusing is this notion of the "top 3" going to Olympics. Casual fans are conditioned into believing that the U.S. gets 3 spots for the ladies, forgetting that those spots have to be earned. Think how the next National bronze medalist is going to feel about missing the Olympics if only 2 spots exist? We take a lot for granted with our embarassment of riches in the ladies skating. With the emergence of Japan, we may find our traditional lock of 3 spots from the past decade will not be quite as secure in the decade ahead.
Great point!

Also, I don't mind articles questioning Kwan's readiness for the Olympics. That's the journalists' right to have their opinions on this. What I do mind is the ignorance shown in this article.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny said:
I just wish that guy would crawl back under his rock and stay there. Hopefully some big foot will come along and squash him. Grrrrrrrrrr:frown: :frown2: :eek:
I like Grgranny's way of handling the situation.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "journalist" who wrote this piece doesn't know much about figure skating OR about the topic he's discussing.

Kwan does NOT have a leg injury. The injuries were to her hip and groin.

This writer obviously has never seen Emily Hughes' performances in the GP. If he had, he would not be lamenting her absence from the Olympic team. Those two performances (in which she fell a total of 6 times) were two of the three international events she's skated in the past year, and her only international performances in an ISU event at the Senior level.

The writer doesn't know that only the US champion is guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. The other places are at the discretion of a committee.

The committee voted 30-2 to send Kwan instead of Hughes. It wasn't even close. Maybe that's because THEY saw Emily's international performances.