Heat Moldable boots | Golden Skate

Heat Moldable boots

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
Does anyone know if you can have heat moldable boots re-done? I'm presuming that you can, but I can't find any information on it. I've had my boots for almost a year now, and I had them molded when I originally bought them. I'm feeling like I can't lace my skates tight enough now specifically around my heel. I don't know if a re-mold will be the ultimate answer, but if it's possible, I'd like to try that first before thinking that I need to be re-fitted for new skates. As a beginning adult skater, my feet shouldn't be changing size, and my boots should last longer than one year.

Any info anyone might have would be truly appreciated!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
As far as I know, you can. My coach said our skate fitter actually talked her through reheating them in her home oven when she needed to adjust hers! I dont' know if there's a point in the age of the boot past which you can't really remold them, but I'd call the person you bought them from and ask.

Out of curiosity, what brand do you have? I've been having a fit problem with my left boot that also involves loosening around the heel and ankle. I'm not sure if it's because my boots are stock boots that have been cut down to a dance height or if it's the way they're breaking in or if they were just poorly fitted in the first place (given how many people swear by the fitter I went to, I find that hard to believe, but possible.)

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
My boots are Jackson Competitors. I just started skating two years ago, so they were the first "custom" skates I've ever bought. I went to a pro-fitter that was recommended by the head of the figure skating program at my rink and he recommended them based on the shape of my foot. Of course then I went and saw Rocky Marvel to have the blade mount adjusted (first guy couldn't get it right in 4 tries, and Rocky nailed it on the first attempt) and he told me all kinds of horror stories about the guy who fitted me. Can't say if I did need to purchase new boots again that I wouldn't look for someone else to fit me.

So I don't know what the issue might be, but I have to say that a loose ankle really defeats what little confidence I've built up on the ice over the last two years.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Hm, mine are Jackson Elites--now I"m wondering if it's the brand. I doubt very much in my case it;s the fitter--everyone around here, including a lot of the top skaters, goes to him. In my case, maybe I've weakened the boot by having it cut down. But the left one in particular works so loose that I get no lateral support unless I lace it so tightly I can barely flex my ankle (and that's no good for dance.) But I'd rather do that than bobble dangerously in spirals.

Gah. I'm moving a lot closer to him (and my job!) soon. Maybe I'll have him look at it. Maybe this is an issue with the brand. Of course if it is I'm up a creek as I can't afford to replace my boots right now, especially since these are barely nine months old.