Kobe Bryant scored 81 points today. Amazing | Golden Skate

Kobe Bryant scored 81 points today. Amazing

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, I'm not a fan of the guy, but this is amazing...especially since sometimes whole teams don't even reach this total in a game. And no extra time in OT, either...

From ESPN, January 22, 2006

Los Angeles 122, Toronto 104

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant scored a staggering 81 points -- the second-highest total in NBA history -- and the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Toronto Raptors 122-104 Sunday night.

With the fans at Staples Center chanting "MVP! MVP!" Bryant made two free throws with 43.4 seconds remaining for his final points, putting him behind only Wilt Chamberlain on the all-time scoring list.

Chamberlain scored 100 points for Philadelphia against the New York Knicks at Hershey, Pa., on March 2, 1962. His second-highest total was 78 against the Lakers in three overtimes on Dec. 8, 1961.

"I couldn't even dream of this when I was a kid," Bryant said. "There was no way possible."

Bryant left to a standing ovation with 4.2 seconds remaining, having shot 28-of-46 from the floor and 18-of-20 from the foul line.

Elgin Baylor held the previous franchise record of 71 points at New York on Nov. 15, 1960.

Michael Jordan's career high was 69 points, and only three players had ever scored more than 70 -- Chamberlain, Baylor, and David Robinson.

The 27-year-old Bryant made it four.

He played nearly 42 minutes, going the entire second half until being lifted by coach Phil Jackson. He scored 27 points in the third quarter and 28 more in the fourth.

Bryant scored 62 points during a 112-90 victory over Dallas last month, but sat out the fourth quarter because of the one-sided nature of the game.