Sunday: Worst Skating Shows in History - It's a Toss Up | Golden Skate

Sunday: Worst Skating Shows in History - It's a Toss Up

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't know which show gets my vote for the worst but here they are:

Sarah and Friends - Could not enjoy the skaters because the musical numbers were so horrible, I had to turn it off. Therefore I only saw one skater - I think it was Sarah. Come on Sarah, you are no longer a teenager!!! What was with that horrible singer? Ruined the whole show.

Skating with Celebrites - Round two - Don't know if I can stomach much more of this skating fiasco. It's a joke. Please judges - declare Zimmerman and his partner the winners and let the other skaters keep their dignity so they can get back to what they do best.

Skating shows really have gone down hill.

euterpe

Medalist
Have to agree on both counts. The music in Sarah's show was awful. I got a brief look at Sarah and it seems she still isn't the same skater who won an OGM. Kadavy was much better at her relatively advanced age.

I tried a brief look at the Celebrities last Wednesday and quickly turned to the PBS program about the French and Indian Wars. MUCH the best choice!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I already said my piece on another message. I haven't watched all of it yet. What was she thinking with that trashy musical group. I couldn't believe they would dance around like that in public. Should have been XXXXXXXXXXXXX rated.

Vash01

Medalist
I agree that the live music and dancing was horrible, but there were some numbers without them and they were very good. Todd Eldredge's second number, Shae Lynn's solo, Lambiel's Malguena and B&S's two numbers (If I could and Kalinka) were excellent. Even Sarah's first number was OK. I no longer expect to see triple jumps from her; just show skating. I did not care for Yagudin's numbers, but not because of the live music.

Vash

machiavelli

Rinkside
Sarah Hughes number had tasteless Ashanti music. I did enjoy Shae-Lynn's solo ice dance as well as B&S. Lambiel was great, but I'm partial to Malaguena music.

Btw, the segments with Sarah's "off-ice" friends were a bit too kitschy for my taste xP. Also her "designer" outfits have considerably longer skirts... perhaps to hide some things...

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, about Sarah Hughe and her Friends. I'm glad I diddn't waste too much of time. I caught the good ones, Shae Lynn's solo, B/S's number, then Yagudin (well not full Yagudin's, only part of it). And a glimps of Sarah's spiral.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The Isley Brothers deserved better treatment of "Shout" than it got.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Heh, there's a reason I always call this board MKF Lite. ;) Altho' your objection is to the singer, I guess. Shrug. It was OK. But then I like R & B.

I think the Disson shows were the most enjoyable they've ever been this year.

lil chrissy

Rinkside
I have to agree with all of you on the horrible choice of music. the girls were just about naked and the movements were pretty lewd. I Tivo's it so when I actually get to watching the entire show I can fast forward through the parts I don't like. I agree also that it is good that Sarah is wearing longer length skirts. There are other skaters that should also. We saw Sarah in the hotel dining room at Nationals. She looked pretty good, but I have to say I was appalled that she brought her little dog with her, sat at the table with her family and fed the dog from her plate. This was a public dining room!!!! I don't know what she was thinking or how she got away with it. Perhaps her "celebrity" has gone to her head and she thinks what ever she does is great.

euterpe

Medalist
In many states, it is against the Health Code for dogs to be in a restaurant, unless they are guide dogs for the handicapped. I don't know if that is the case in St. Louis, but I think at the very least, it is bad manners.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Yeah, the singer on the Sarah's show was brutal, and I don't think it was even live, was it a lipsync?

For the bad music, I rate Sarah's show with that dreadful Tara special "Hip Hop on Ice" from about 4 yrs ago, which wasn't a Disson show, FOX I think.

But the worst idea for a Disson show that I ever heard of was the show that had to be canceled because the concept was so bad it didn't sell any tickets, "Yanni on Ice" in Tulsa, Oklahoma no less!!!

Actually, I think that the Disson shows have started to slip in the last year or two. I live in NYC so I've been able to go to Disson shows in Trenton, Bridgeport, Albany, LI, and Hershey over the last 5 yrs and except for Kristi's show in Albany this year, the last ones that were really good were in 2004, Katarina's and Kristi's

I don't know why Disson doesn't let Ekaterina Gordeeva host a show of her own for them?

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Piel said:
The Isley Brothers deserved better treatment of "Shout" than it got.

Otis Day and the Nights.

Such a shame so many fans have been scarred by this show. Have seen worse.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I agree with the person who started this thread.

Skating With Celebrities is the biggest piece of skating crap I've seen on TV. So the pros become so desperate for 'air time' that their work has come down to this? Pathetic!

Sarah & Friends - another boring Disson 'SOI-infomercial-in-disguise' show. Worst offender: Shae Lynn Bourne as solo skater. What the heck was that? Did she even do a spin? Primping, shaking her blonde hair and doing a few deep edges does not a professional singles skater make. Saving grace: Stephan Lambiel...but he's eligible, isn't he? Or does his appearance on this show signal that he's been signed-up by SOI for next year's tour?

On the other hand:
Hats of to "ICE DIARIES" on TLC - fascinating piece of reality TV.

ELIGIBLE SKATERS ONLY, PLEASE!!!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Otis Day and the Nights.

Sorry Kasey The Isley Brothers wrote and released "Shout"in 1959. Otis Day and the Knights covered it for "Animal House" which IIRC was released in 1978.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Sorry Kasey The Isley Brothers wrote and released "Shout"in 1959. Otis Day and the Knights covered it for "Animal House" which IIRC was released in 1978.

It was the Isley Brothers' first number one record. Without "Shout" to pave the way for the Isley Brothers, I doubt I'd been convinced in '72... :laugh:

The worse ice show EVER??? Easy. Skating with Celebrities. The thought of "Mr. Nicks" critizing someone for falling was just too much for my sensitive soul...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Is there a band that hasn't covered "Shout" at one time or another,LOL. I love the version in "The Temptations" movie where Leon who plays David Ruffin (the greatest singer of all times, BTW:rock: ) changes the lyrics ..just a little.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gee "of all time" is pretty, well, inclusive, no?

I haven't seen all the bad skating shows. There was a John Curry Peter in the Wolf that I expected great things of, but that was quite, quite horrible, particularly the staging and the sound.,

There were the Improv shows that I thought would be worse, but which actually had some very entertaining numbers, by sheer luck, particularly Galindo's Shake, and Todd's Who Let the Dogs Out.,

There was Tara's Hip Hop which was hands down dreadful.

I only got to watch a couple of Sarah's numbers because they interfered with football, but the 2 I got to watch were Shae Lynn's solo and an Elena and Anton number, and I enjoyed both of them,

My vote goes to the Gymnastics and Skating Show that was aired recently that was completely unwatchable. ANd I tried twice to watch it.

Linny

Final Flight
Cover song

Think I read somewhere that the Beatles Michele is the most covered song of all time.
Linny

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Grgranny said:
......I couldn't believe they would dance around like that in public. Should have been XXXXXXXXXXXXX rated.

That's because you haven't seen the downloads of the recent Europeans Exhibitions. The above pales in comparison to the exhibs of Savchenko/Szokolwy and the young French pair Pla/Bonheur. If, by chance, those teams end up performing in either the Olympics or Worlds exhibitions, I have no doubt that US networks will chack them. Especially the Germans.

I wasn't in Lyon but recently saw all performances courtesy of Skating Videos website downloads. :rock:

nubka

Final Flight
I have a Katarina Witt show from the 80's, called Katatrina Witt and Friends...it's pretty awful. Kat skates both her numbers in a salmon colored/patchwork dress that looks like a reject from The Sound Of Music. I shouldn't tease her though. Shows way back then can obviously not be compared to what they are able to put together today.

Having said that, watching Tonya Harding (in a red dress and puffy 80's hair) skate to the Whintey Houston song, "Saving All My Love For You'" was just toooo much. Aslo, I can can only take sooo much of Victor Petrenko (sorry, Victor...but everything you skate looks the same to me.) This tape is now sitting in the bottom of my "thrift shop bag."