Is Scott H anti-Russian? | Golden Skate

Is Scott H anti-Russian?

CDMM1991

Medalist
I was unable to view the article because the link wasn't working for me but my guess would be that Scott isn't anti-Russian. He just knows how the sport is viewed by the casual Olympic-viewer. How many "Russian judge" jokes have you heard by the casual sports fan who watches the Olympic figure skating and might stumble over it on network TV a couple of times a year?

Even if a Russian sweep is deserved, I think what Scott might be suggesting with his comment is that this will just make the casual viewer, who might not understand the intricacies of the new judging system and other techinicalities, believe that the sport is rigged, and that "the Russians" will always win.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I agree with Scott that it would probably be better for figure skating if there was more parity. Four countries winning an OGM would make four countries happy, whereas if there is a four podium sweep one country will be very happy. BUT this is not sport. Usually in sport threepeats, sweeps and the like (especially if it is one's favorite team or country) are celebrated. Not sure if so as much in figure skating considering all of the whining over Kwan winnning so much.

The best that we can hope for is that everyone skates their best and the judging is fair.

I am curious as to how Scott's statement was taken as being anti Russian? IMO it is only antisweep. If you will remember Scott has given Russian skaters opportunities through "Stars On Ice". He and Sergeii Grinkov were best friends.

Kind of a throw-away line for Scott, it seems to me. I think he just means that it would be better PR for the sport if the medals are spread around a little.

This was the quote that I liked the best, from Richard Callaghan about Sasha's prospects:

"Irina obviously has a long history of competing and is a good skater. But I think our skater, Sasha, has abilities that are superior," Callaghan said. "She has probably similar athletic abilities, but with the new scoring system and components, in my mind, she outscores Irina by quite a bit."

Too bad the CoP scores are tallied in the ISU computers instead of in Callaghan's mind. :) But hey, go Sasha!

MM

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Indeed, the comment could mean that one country sweeping the gold is an indicator of a lack of competition which is not good for the sport.

Having said that, I do think Hamilton is still locked in a Cold War mentality (which, I must concede, doesn't prevent him from being friends with many Russian skaters). His comments on Russia are often over-the-line. Compare him to Button. Button is always more critical about non-American skaters, but he never appears vicious. Hamilton does.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Here is the quote:

"I think there's a chance," said Scott Hamilton, America's gold-medal winner in 1984 and now an NBC commentator. "It's funny because I was talking to a Russian skater recently and he said: 'You know it's a real good chance the Russians will sweep the gold medals. Wow! What a great accomplishment that would be for Russia.'

"But what a terrible thing that would be for skating."

I just found it offensive that he was all about how the best team should win when the issue invovled Canadian Pairs skaters, but "it would be terrible" for skating if the best skaters should all be Russian.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I don't think Scott is Anti-Russian...and i think if America/Americans have an issue with getting whooped by the Russians consistently then maybe they ought to step up their game. If you are getting beat....don't be a baby and whine,go practice some more and better yourself.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Scott Hamilton

I don't think Scott is anti Russian, he is Pro American and there is nothing wrong with that.

diamond:cool:

curious

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Kind of a throw-away line for Scott, it seems to me. I think he just means that it would be better PR for the sport if the medals are spread around a little.

This was the quote that I liked the best, from Richard Callaghan about Sasha's prospects:

"Irina obviously has a long history of competing and is a good skater. But I think our skater, Sasha, has abilities that are superior," Callaghan said. "She has probably similar athletic abilities, but with the new scoring system and components, in my mind, she outscores Irina by quite a bit."

Too bad the CoP scores are tallied in the ISU computers instead of in Callaghan's mind. :) But hey, go Sasha!

MM

got to laugh at the similar athletic abilities comments:rofl: :biggrin:

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, it'd be really nice if they'd bother to elaborate and quote him further as to WHY he thinks it would be a bad thing. I find it hard to believe he just ended it there, or that no-one asked him what he meant by that.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
richard callaghan said:

Athletic abilities that are similar? Please, the quality of their jumps are far apart, and the consistency of Irinas jumps are far superior. Also in terms of speed and power Irina is superior. Spins they are similar, footwork goes to Irina, spirals to Sasha. Overall Irina is athleticaly superior by a long ways to Sasha. As for outscoring Irina quite a bit with the new scoring system and components, well he might feel that is how it should be in some ways, but it has not been that way so far so I dont know what he is referring to.

Actually perhaps they should have more specific scores for things like polish, line, grace, in the PCS scores. If they did that would make things different between Irina and Sasha perhaps, and even as an Irina fan, I could see somebody arguing that. They dont really though, so there is no point talking about things in a way that is in a different context than reality.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Actually perhaps they should have more specific scores for things like polish, line, grace, in the PCS scores. If they did that would make things different between Irina and Sasha perhaps, and even as an Irina fan, I could see somebody arguing that. They dont really though, so there is no point talking about things in a way that is in a different context than reality.
ITA. Not because Irina might not score as high in those areas, but because I think those are important elements of figure skating. It is an art and a sport but it seems the art is being left out in the judging.

Linny

Final Flight
Quoting the Russian skater

Methinks Scott was still quoting the Russian skater... probably because that Russian athlete is interested in skating with SOI and knows that post eligible skating money is in the USA. It's just as important that skating be popular in the USA to a Russian athlete as it is to an athlete from any other country.

Linny

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Actually perhaps they should have more specific scores for things like polish, line, grace, in the PCS scores.

And boy, would that bring on some erratic judging. I agree, in theory. In reality, those are rather nebulous qualities. Yes, some skaters are obviously more polished than others, but that can often depend on style they're skating in, too. IMHO, TRUE "line" is extremely rare (at least based on what I perceive "line" to be) and I can't think of any of the current ladies (including Sasha, Irina, or Michelle) who have it. Well, maybe Fumie. "Grace" can also be open to interpretation, depending on style, and for that matter, style preference, which can vary depending on what part of the world you're from. And Lord knows some of these judges have enough problems trying to assess the basics correctly without having to figure in the nuances, too....:laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well, the nuances according to reports of past Olympics helped to give Tara a gold medal. So if it matters to the judges they need to be able to give it a point value. In the medical field that type of thing is done all of the time. Patients are asked to rank their pain from one to ten. One you get your pillow fluffed and ten you get a Morphine IV. Shouldn't be too hard for FS judges to be able to make a similar assessment.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Well, the nuances according to reports of past Olympics helped to give Tara a gold medal. So if it matters to the judges they need to be able to give it a point value. In the medical field that type of thing is done all of the time. Patients are asked to rank their pain from one to ten. One you get your pillow fluffed and ten you get a Morphine IV. Shouldn't be too hard for FS judges to be able to make a similar assessment.

I'm sure nuances may have played a role in Tara's win, but I don't think polish, line, and grace were among them. Let's face it, she went out there and had fun while Michelle didn't and the judges responded to it. What nuance is that? Perk? Fun? Charm? Spunk? Technically, something along that line should probably be in the PCS scores, too, since those factors can also determine the outcome of a competition. They did in 98, and DEFINITELY in '94, when Oksana Bauil was just SO UNBELIEVABLY PRECIOUS it didn't matter if her technical arsenal was maybe a bit short. That sort of thing has nothing, IMO, to do with ACTUAL SKATING SKILL.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Not a skating skill but performance and musical interpretation. If the judges pay attention to those areas and it effects the their perception of the program they need to be able to give it a point value. If they don't they are ignoring part of the performance. Why not just eliminate the programs altogether? Send the skater out on the ice and let them do the individual elements. Give each a point value, add up the points and the highest total wins. Oh, that IS what they're doing now.

bobby

Rinkside
Is Scott H an Anti-Russian bigot?

Whoa, slow down cowboy (girl) I think starting a thread like this, although a free country and I fully believe in the first amend., as I myself am a journalist, is quite silly. One would be hard-pressed to get anti-Russian bigot from this statement, and while I fully agree we are all entitled to freedom of speech, this is how rumors get started. Perhaps one could get questionable comment from this, to me that's still reaching, but that's just to me. It's all about context. Reading the entire article presents no bigotry.
I thought this was one of the better articles I have seen about the sport.

I just wish there was Secret Skating so no one knew (especially the judges) who was on the ice and. It's nice when your countrymen win a medal but to put so much emphasis on the country and not on the skater is for me, unsportsmanship.

I know I sound corny but I like the best man to win. I do have my favorites and they come from Switzerland, Russia, China, UK. I have no objection to second favorites from the USA, Canada, and Japan.

Why get worked up over nationalities? If the Russians sweep, let it be, but I don't change my mind on my favorites!!!

Joe