Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No easy road to skating gold for Cohen (negative article)

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

I should post the picture I have with myself and Tanith and Ben, LOL.

Please do! I know I'd like to see what GS's resident humorist and mathematician par excellance looks like in RL

Banned
    Yukina Ota, now THERE is a beautiful girl!

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

AWE.... Red Dog!!

And all this time you had me convinced you were a "Ladies Man."

DG

Down With It
    Well, I'm technically just a name on the internet. How do you know that for sure? Right back at ya

I collect these pictures, that's why I have so many. It's kind of a habit of mine. I have thousands more, actually- of various skaters. What you saw above was just a tease!!

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Millie, thanks for posting this. I got a hoot out of reading it LOL.

What pisses me off are the journalists who "cash in" on figure skating during the Olympics. I understand that we all need a job, but these fairweather experts need to stick to sports they know most about. I can't stand Christine Brennan, but at least she has taken the time to at learn about the sport.

Must be hard work sitting on his butt with a cup of coffee dripping over his computer and a glazed donut dribbling from his lips, trying to come up with something compelling to write, while Sasha is out on the ice for hours every day working towards that OGM with the hopes of a nation on her shoulders. Poor guy!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Must be hard work sitting on his butt with a cup of coffee dripping over his computer and a glazed donut dribbling from his lips, trying to come up with something compelling to write, while Sasha is out on the ice for hours every day working towards that OGM with the hopes of a nation on her shoulders. Poor guy!
    "OGM with the hopes of a nation on her shoulders."
    Everyone, get real, it's figure skating, a sport, the winner reaps the rewards not the Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    "OGM with the hopes of a nation on her shoulders."
    Everyone, get real, it's figure skating, a sport, the winner reaps the rewards not the Nation.
    Yeah, but everyone gets off on saying that "their" competitor won!

Medalist

awful

Just awful. Since when did MSNBC start printing sydicated "Enquirer" articles? This is trash, gossip, insulting hooey. I wonder how many mornings this writer (I use the term loosely) has gotten up to follow Sasha...or any other skater in training...around on the ice? Has he ever even gotten up before 5 AM before for anything? Whoever said on this thread that this was an article assembling bits and pieces of old gossip was dead-on. I suppose he assembled it sitting at a desk 3,000 miles away from the practice rink.....the least damning thing we can say of him is that HE is lazy.

I sigh and wail....why do we do this to our athletes? Can't we sell as many papers with glowing ,fawning half-truths and fabrications as easily as with damining, evil lies? The Russians seem to work it that way. And, too, how come I've never seen gumpy articles about lazy, pierced, tatooed, devious basketball players living in their own little world? Geez. Give it a break.

I hope these athletes don't read the trash written about them. It's beneath them and should be ignored right along with the two-headed calves and alien abductions touted in the grocery store check-out lines.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak
    I hope these athletes don't read the trash written about them. It's beneath them and should be ignored right along with the two-headed calves and alien abductions touted in the grocery store check-out lines.
    Enquirer headline for February 22, 2006:

"SASHA COHEN FLEES IN A SPACESHIP AFTER LETTING DOWN ENTIRE COUNTRY WITH SECOND-PLACE FINISH."

Down With It
    And, too, how come I've never seen gumpy articles about lazy, pierced, tatooed, devious basketball players living in their own little world? Geez. Give it a break.
    umm...I have...I forgot who it was in particular, but I know I've seen articles like that before. They are not unique at all.

Interesting Perspective

When I was at US Nats, there was a small NBC crew that sat close to me during practice sessions. They obviously had a list of skaters (Oly Hopefuls) that they were getting practice footage of, I assume for possible use during Oly coverage. The guy in charge of the crew had to ask who the various people were on his list. I thought that was pretty funny - why would a reporter not even know who he was looking for?

A journalist put that in perspective for me. Especially for sports that are not always regularly covered (i.e. Figure Skating gets WAY more coverage in Oly years than non-Oly years) there aren't enough expert journalists to go around. So people get these "assignments" and have to figure out what to write / produce. (made logical sense to me)

For whatever it's worth....but that's why we probably get some less than stellar stories in this time frame.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Have to defend the euopeans here MM

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0405/photos/KORPI.jpg

ain't she just the cutest

Quote Originally Posted by diver chick
    Have to defend the euopeans here MM

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0405/photos/KORPI.jpg

She is very cute. :chorus: :chorus:

Quote Originally Posted by diver chick