No easy road to skating gold for Cohen (negative article) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

No easy road to skating gold for Cohen (negative article)

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
You're right, MM. It IS poorly written. And he got facts wrong. But if one looks past all that (if they can), one can see that his main point is that Cohen is going to have a hard time getting the gold at this year's Olympics. That's where I agree with him. Also, there is truth behind where he insinuates Cohen has had practice issues, because she said so herself.

With the way it looks so far besides Irina, not only Sasha, but the rest of the ladies are going to have a hard time getting the gold.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
The rest of the ladies? Sure. But Irina? She's the fav...got to be kidding. She just has to watch the nerves...and her health.

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
Omg.... this article was kinda ridiculous. I'm not a sasha fan, but LAZY?=O If she would be lazy, then she wouldn't got this faar.

If he thinks she's not good enough, why don't he go out on the ice and do better himself?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
WeirsAngel said:
If he thinks she's not good enough, why don't he go out on the ice and do better himself?

If the reporters who thought that any skater (doesn't matter if its Cohen, Kwan, Hughes, or anyone) wasn't good enough actually went out on the ice and tried to do better themselves, then there wouldn't be any negative articles about anyone, would there?

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, I read this, was annoyed by the factual inaccuracies, sure, but more annoyed at the cheap shots the writer took at a very fine skater.

To say that "all the coaches she dumped along the way" have complained about her work ethic is not backed up - did he interview them all? Any of them? Aside from Robin Wagner, I don't recall any interviews with former coaches that implied anything of the sort.

I'm also one who thinks it's unfair for people to criticize a skater's coaching changes....skaters develop - grow up, literally sometimes - and need different things and move to coaches who can help them. Also, it seems like it's sort of a partnership between a coach and a skater and one coach's method might work for some skaters and not others, perfectly legitimately. It doesn't make anybody bad, or wrong.....or lazy. During all the controversy when Kwan was coachless, I was always an avid believer that she had to do what she felt was right for her. I feel the same about Cohen and her coaching changes. Their perogative, folks.

Many have already mentioned the deliberate and mean swipe at Cohen at the end of the article, and let me just say ITA with everyone, it was un-called for.

Probably what dropped my jaw the most were his repeated references to Ando as some kind of co-favorite for gold alongside Slutskaya....obviously, he has not watched any skating this year - or last, for that matter - nor has he researched event results.

I can understand a skating writer saying it will be a challenge for Cohen to hit gold and make it to the podium against the seemingly unstoppable Slutskaya and a deep field of ladies....but I don't see the purpose in putting down the reigning world silver medalist and national champion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
If the reporters who thought that any skater (doesn't matter if its Cohen, Kwan, Hughes, or anyone) wasn't good enough actually went out on the ice and tried to do better themselves, then there wouldn't be any negative articles about anyone, would there?

Well said. It's just a convenient way to discount an article one doesn't agree with. However, at the same time it's not a pardon to really dump on someone just for the sake of it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for Ando...she hasn't been doing that well, but I still think she's a solid contender. Who knows when it will all come together for her. I wouldn't say she's a favorite (only Irina is IMO) but she's definitely "in the field".

Kwanford Wife said:
While I think the article sucks, I will say that I'm so happy to see that MM can get snarky with the rest of us...
Well, it was 6:00 in the morning when I wrote that. Here is the fully awake edition:

Ptooie on this pathetic parade of pompous pundits,

who, having no accomplishments themselves, think that it is "entertaining" ("look at me, look at me") to stand on the sidelines and belittle the accomplishments of others.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong one stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, or at least by mascara and lip gloss, who strives valiantly, ...and who, if she falls, at least she falls while daring greatly!!" (Theodore Roosevelt, figure skating fan :rock: )

jesslily

Final Flight
Shorten the hours and adding the intensity might be the great strategy for Sasha. Naturally she does not belong to skating long hours to get jumps solid. Almost all of her jumps are based on her spin ability. But enough amount of jumping hours are also very necessary to get the jumping power and flow. I feel right now she sacrifies the height to get the consistancy.

mhu714

On the Ice
Full disclosure: I love Sasha, and I love Michelle. I still predict that Irina will win but I hope they come in 1st and 2nd at Turin (not in that order, but I could live with it :love: ). Bondy writes about skating for the NY Daily News and this isn't the first article he's written about Sasha. He is generally favorable towards both her and MK. I find the screaming about how negative this article is kinda amusing. When you strip away everything, an undeniable fact about Sasha is this: despite her incredible ability and flawless positions she has never, at least to my knowledge, completed two clean programs at any major comp. Now, one can win Olympic gold without 2 clean programs, but this point isn't something Sasha or her fans (myself included) can ignore. So lay into me Mathman, I can take it :laugh:

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The second one's pretty good, but the first one, with that lock of hair in her face, makes her look like Shelley Duvall wearing nerd glasses......