Kwan's test skate no longer secret? | Golden Skate

Kwan's test skate no longer secret?

mememe

On the Ice
According to a story by the L.A. Times' Helene Elliott, there WILL be media members on hand for Michelle's test skate on Friday.

I can't link to the story, but here's a couple of excerpts:

(LAT-WP All-Sports!)
//Kwan Will Face the Music on Friday//
By Helene Elliott
(c) 2006, Los Angeles Times
The course of figure skater Michelle Kwan’s quest for Olympic gold will be announced Friday, after she has been observed by a five-person committee empowered to determine if she’s fit to compete next month at the Turin Games.

U.S. Figure Skating officials said Wednesday they will announce their decision at a news conference after she performs her short and long programs in a closed session at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, Calif. Two pool reporters will be allowed to watch and describe what unfolds.

Kwan, 25,did not participate in the U.S. championships because of a pulled groin, her second major leg injury this season. ...

The panel will be composed of Bob Horen of New Hope, Pa., chairman of U.S. Figure Skating’s International Committee; Charles Cyr of Palm Desert, a technical controller; Paula Naughton of Vancouver, Wash., a world judge; Lorrie Parker of Overland, Kan., an international judge; and Brittney Bottoms of Marietta, Ga., who was a senior-level national competitor before becoming a coach.

If the panel isn’t satisfied that Kwan has regained her form, or if she chooses to withdraw for any reason, the Turin berth will go to Emily Hughes of Great Neck, N.Y., who finished third at the U.S. competition behind Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meissner and was designated the first alternate.

Kwan is expected to demonstrate various jumps and spins during a practice session Friday before she performs her short program to Franz Liszt’s “Totentanz.” She will be allowed to rest before she performs her long program, to Rachmaninov’s “Prelude in C-sharp minor.” ...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
When I read the article (which I posted on another thread in this board), it didn't refer to any pool reporters or to her music. I read as follows:

"The doors will be closed to the public and media when she skates at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, probably Friday, and five judges decide whether the 25-year-old Torrance native merits another chance to compete for the Olympic gold medal that has twice eluded her.

The premier performer in the premier event in the Winter Olympics will make her case in secrecy ... She will be judged according to a scoring system under which she has competed only once, at the 2005 world championships, and finished fourth."

mememe

On the Ice
attyfan said:
When I read the article (which I posted on another thread in this board), it didn't refer to any pool reporters or to her music. I read as follows:

"The doors will be closed to the public and media when she skates at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, probably Friday, and five judges decide whether the 25-year-old Torrance native merits another chance to compete for the Olympic gold medal that has twice eluded her.

The premier performer in the premier event in the Winter Olympics will make her case in secrecy ... She will be judged according to a scoring system under which she has competed only once, at the 2005 world championships, and finished fourth."

I read the other story, too -- this one came along later on a syndicated wire service I have access to right now. I am assuming that it is some new information that Ms. Elliott got after writing the other story. But I could be wrong. All I can say is that it is on the same syndicated wire service and it was posted to the wire after the first, longer story was posted.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks to both of you. I was about to post a question if they are same or diff article. lol

Was media there in Nancy's test skating?

LBC

On the Ice
I think they are smart to let a couple of reporters in. The "secrecy" thing was not going off too well with the media. There would always be a conspiracy theory running around. Something that skating does not need.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'll be interested to see what the pool reporters have to say, and which reporters will be selected. There are few journalists who have a true scholarly background in skating... christine brennan is the the first to come to mind. I know many posters on this forum have expressed their displeasure with christine and her take on the sport... especially her commentary on the slc scandal; but I really like her. I met her a few times when I was younger, and I think she has a knack for making skating approachable to the masses while maintaining a degree of technical acuracy in her analysis.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought Kwan was already named to the Olympic team after the US Nationals. I doubt they won't let her compete.

Vash01

Medalist
I am sure this is going to be more nerve wrecking than competing at the US nationals. I hope Michelle can skate great and silences everyone.

Vash

Kathy

On the Ice
I have to say that with all the hoopla that has emerged around this skate test, I really admire Michelle's determination. I really think that this skate test ought to be more stressfull that Nationals and even maybe the Olympics. All eyes are only on her, no one else to absorb any of the fallout. NO audience to inspire her, no one to compete against except herself. The USFSA going to publicly announce if she is "fit" and reporters who will see it through there own set of eyes, and may agree or disagree with the USFSA decision - the potential for her to be ripped apart in a hugely public way is a real risk. I am really in awe of her putting herself on the line like this. Seems to me it would have been so much easier after all the injuries, and missing Nationals, to just walk away. She'd have gotten a lot of sympathy - tried desperately to go for # 3 Olympics but ended up just to injured to compete. Her career would have stood the test of time without this Olympics. She must really WANT this badly to put herself through this type of scutiny. I really can't imagine the stress she must feel - even if she is 100% at this time.

angelika

Spectator
MK should've taken part in 4CC and showed us her perfomance in front of audience. She'll not have a real pressure and reaction whether good or not.

flowjo35

On the Ice
angelika said:
MK should've taken part in 4CC and showed us her perfomance in front of audience. She'll not have a real pressure and reaction whether good or not.

From articles I have read I don't think 4CC was discussed as part of Michelle's skate test by the committee.

Vash01 said:
I am sure this is going to be more nerve wrecking than competing at the US nationals. I hope Michelle can skate great and silences everyone.

Vash
ITA, Vash. Kwan has controlled pressure throughout the years but this is not a competition skate. It is a test of her abilities to be on the Team for the Olympics.

This will be her finest hour!:bow: or her swan song.:cry:

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
everyone is missing the most important aspect of this article... Michelle's long program music has been announced! FINALLY, the real drama of this season has been put to rest!

As for the test skate - its figure skating! she will be fine.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kwanford Wife said:
everyone is missing the most important aspect of this article... Michelle's long program music has been announced! FINALLY....QUOTE]

Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-sharp minor -- a great choice! Hopefully it is a pure unadulterated version & not some gawd-awful techno-pop arrangement! We're getting techno-pop with the 'Totentanz' SP.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Kwanford Wife said:
everyone is missing the most important aspect of this article... Michelle's long program music has been announced! FINALLY....

Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-sharp minor -- a great choice! Hopefully it is a pure unadulterated version & not some gawd-awful techno-pop arrangement! We're getting techno-pop with the 'Totentanz' SP.

Or some bad muzack version ala Shizzle's Chopin LP that she dumped.

Last edited: