Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is sasha a kabbalist?

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    True, but kabbalah, as a form of mysticism, required knowledge of Torah before the kabbalah was delved into. It was outside mainstream orthodoxy, but still required extensive knowledge of Torah

Custom Title
    'Lysacek' sounds like it could also be a Serbian name (former Yugoslavia), in which case Evan's Eastern-Orthodox Christianity makes perfect sense.

I also noticed Sasha wasn't wearing her neckless that she usally wears.

Custom Title
    I strongly doubt there is any committed substance behind the threads.
    Sadly, many people just have to be 'trendy'.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I feel like the hollywood folks are treating kabbalah like its something you can dabble in. Like many people dabble in yoga practices and gain a lot from it... but the overwhelming majority do not embrace all the stuff the real yogis do. The only difference is that kabbalah is more of a faith I guess? Seems like you cant really dabble in a faith.... but I bet there are teachings that would help them focus on their sport and ease their nervs. am I off here?

Liz, in theory Kabbalah has nothing to do with faith. It is more of a philosophical understanding of the world and the creation. In fact, even the popularization of Kabbalah through Hasidim (an Orthodox Judaism movement) has been seen by many kabbalists to be a bad thing for their field as it muddied their theories with issues of faith. While all Kabbalists believe in G-d, their view of G-d is very abstract. Basically, it believes that G-d is ulmitalely unknown, not even a spirit; while traditional Kabbalists believe that G-d also has an aspect that is revealed to the world, the founder of the Lubavitch Habbad movement believed that a belief in the G-d's aspect that is revealed to the world is a concession to the masses. Also, Kabbalah focuses heavily on the origin of the human soul. In fact, Kabbalah has so little to do with faith that it has been criticized for leading Judaism away from monotheism and toward dualism.

The explanations I have above are super simplistic. Anyone, don't hesitate to correct me wherever I made mistakes.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 01-27-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd

Anyone notice this about Sasha?

She's started wearing a red bracelet around her left wrist, which (at least in Hollywood circles as of recently) is the sign of a Kabbalah practitioner. I've seen her wearing it from US Nats on.

Sure, it's cheap and unadulterated gossip, but anyone know if Sasha has gone Kabbalah on us?

Hmm...that's interesting. I haven't noticed that...I wonder if she has...?

Skater Girl
    Evan Lysacek gave the bracelet to her. She says she likes the idea but isn't into it.

Medalist

bracelet

http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureska...11/detail.html

"Was that a Kabbalah bracelet you were wearing at Nationals?
    -- Julia, Santa Barbara, CA
    Yeah, Evan Lysacek tied it on for me. I'm not deeply into Kabbalah, but I appreciate the principles of it, to ward off evil and not think negative thoughts about people. I had a Kabbalah string before this one and it fell off -- which is good luck. Johnny Weir tied that one on me the year before"

A red bracelet will not ward off evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    A red bracelet will not ward off evil.
    Or falls on jumps!

Ant

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Sounds like she wearing the red bracelet for the sake of the bracelet, but I find it interesting that she's received the bracelets from her male friends on the US Figure Skating Team. I'm not surmising anything, I just find that curious.

The spelling of Evan's last name is definitely a Czech/Slovakian one. Both countries are predominantly Catholic, with Protestant minorities. If he is Orthodox, that probably does come from his mother (with a name like Tanya and his colouring, his mother's side of the family could very well be Greek)

I'm with MM and Ant, though. If Sasha is wearing the bracelet to ward off evil, she needs to cover her entire left arm in those suckers

Custom Title
    I work with many persons who folow the Hindu faith. On any day, they may be wearing, red, pink, black or blue string about their wrists.

Who's to say Sasha isn't a Hindu?

And if she is, who cares, not me? Those who are seeking religion, will find their God, it is not to us to judge,

Down With It
    man, whatever. who cares?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast