Is sasha a kabbalist? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is sasha a kabbalist?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Liz, in theory Kabbalah has nothing to do with faith. It is more of a philosophical understanding of the world and the creation. In fact, even the popularization of Kabbalah through Hasidim (an Orthodox Judaism movement) has been seen by many kabbalists to be a bad thing for their field as it muddied their theories with issues of faith. While all Kabbalists believe in G-d, their view of G-d is very abstract. Basically, it believes that G-d is ulmitalely unknown, not even a spirit; while traditional Kabbalists believe that G-d also has an aspect that is revealed to the world, the founder of the Lubavitch Habbad movement believed that a belief in the G-d's aspect that is revealed to the world is a concession to the masses. Also, Kabbalah focuses heavily on the origin of the human soul. In fact, Kabbalah has so little to do with faith that it has been criticized for leading Judaism away from monotheism and toward dualism.

The explanations I have above are super simplistic. Anyone, don't hesitate to correct me wherever I made mistakes.

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
Anyone notice this about Sasha?

She's started wearing a red bracelet around her left wrist, which (at least in Hollywood circles as of recently) is the sign of a Kabbalah practitioner. I've seen her wearing it from US Nats on.

Sure, it's cheap and unadulterated gossip, but anyone know if Sasha has gone Kabbalah on us?

ceg15

On the Ice
Hmm...that's interesting. I haven't noticed that...I wonder if she has...?

Lanie

On the Ice
Evan Lysacek gave the bracelet to her. She says she likes the idea but isn't into it.

babyoscar

On the Ice
bracelet

http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5091611/detail.html

"Was that a Kabbalah bracelet you were wearing at Nationals?
-- Julia, Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah, Evan Lysacek tied it on for me. I'm not deeply into Kabbalah, but I appreciate the principles of it, to ward off evil and not think negative thoughts about people. I had a Kabbalah string before this one and it fell off -- which is good luck. Johnny Weir tied that one on me the year before"

Matt

On the Ice
Sounds like she wearing the red bracelet for the sake of the bracelet, but I find it interesting that she's received the bracelets from her male friends on the US Figure Skating Team. I'm not surmising anything, I just find that curious.

The spelling of Evan's last name is definitely a Czech/Slovakian one. Both countries are predominantly Catholic, with Protestant minorities. If he is Orthodox, that probably does come from his mother (with a name like Tanya and his colouring, his mother's side of the family could very well be Greek)

I'm with MM and Ant, though. If Sasha is wearing the bracelet to ward off evil, she needs to cover her entire left arm in those suckers :rofl:

orchid

On the Ice
I work with many persons who folow the Hindu faith. On any day, they may be wearing, red, pink, black or blue string about their wrists.

Who's to say Sasha isn't a Hindu? :laugh:

And if she is, who cares, not me? Those who are seeking religion, will find their God, it is not to us to judge,

babyoscar

On the Ice
Evan

Evan is definitely orthodox. i can't remember where i heard it, but i know he is. i do not know how deep he is into religion though. i think i heard it at the 05 worlds when it was in moscow. evan mentioned he went to the orthodox church when he was in moscow.