Navka skips doping test in Europeans, N/K's Turino trip in jeopardy | Golden Skate

Navka skips doping test in Europeans, N/K's Turino trip in jeopardy

Spirit

On the Ice
Bizarre.

My first thought was, They're hosed, because there is usually a zero-tolerance policy for this sort of thing; no matter what the circumstances and no matter how innocent the athlete can prove him- or herself to be. But the information given later in the article just make it murkier, and I definitely don't know enough about anti-doping to know what that's all about.

All I know is that the phrase doping chaperone sounds appropriately silly.

Evdokia

On the Ice
I'd like to know what that doctor cited would call an "absolute emergency" - if one has cut his head off? Navka was obviousely bleeding heavily (if you watched Zhulin in the K&C he care more for her hand, than for the marks), and a hand is an important body part for ice dancers (and one difficult to treat with all the nerves & tendons in there). - With Kostomarov making the test, I can see that first aid was more important for Navka then the drug test. :think:
I don't understand all the drama which is made about this now? :confused:

Spirit

On the Ice
If Kostomorov had been randomly chosen for the drug testing, this wouldn't be an issue. So for the second time in a matter of days, N&K got the wrong end of a random draw.

Random draw. They must be absolutely sick of that phrase by now.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm with Evdokia on this. She probably did not know at that time if anything serious was cut, and didn't want to have to use her hand for anything at all until it was properly taken care of. I mean, you have to use your hand even for simple things like taking clothing off to give the sample, and I can see not wanting to do this with an injured hand. Hope it all sorts out...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know if there are procedures to take care of such matters -- such as an on-site doctor to determine if she needed to go to the hospital, or, just send her to the hospital with a request that they do the test? Unfortunately, it looks like there was a miscommunication -- and usually the athletes, no matter how innocent, end up paying for such errors (Remember the Romanian gymanst -- I forgot her name -- who lost an OGM because her doctor gave her cough syrup that contained a banned substance?)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
OK - I've figured it out! :biggrin: It's another French conspiracy to manipulate the outcome of the Olympics! Didier Gallaiget (sp?) has paid-off the volunteers manning the sign-off desk to remove the carbon paper from Navka's form, so that her signature not appear. N/K end up being thrown out of Oly. By N/K not being at Olympics, D/S have a better chance of making the podium! :chorus:

p.s. - I guess that I've been following this sport for too long!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
(Remember the Romanian gymanst -- I forgot her name -- who lost an OGM because her doctor gave her cough syrup that contained a banned substance?)
Yah, that would be Andrea Raducan. The OC actually met her half way, because they took away her all around medal, but let her keep the team gold.

Also, if you recall, Berezhnaya & Sikhuralidze had to sit out a season becuase of a test Elena failed due to cold medication (same as Andrea). Same thing happened with both of the top Russian rhythmic gymnasts a few seasons back.

soogar

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I'm with Evdokia on this. She probably did not know at that time if anything serious was cut, and didn't want to have to use her hand for anything at all until it was properly taken care of. I mean, you have to use your hand even for simple things like taking clothing off to give the sample, and I can see not wanting to do this with an injured hand. Hope it all sorts out...

All I have to say is that she could have had Zhulin assist her in producing a sample if she didn't want to use her hand. Drug tests are serious business in athletics and there are severe penalties. I think that Russia just lost its OGM in dance.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I am not going to comment on who i think is doing what and whether it looks fishy or not..I just hope they can make things right without a huge controversy.

Evdokia

On the Ice
soogar said:
Drug tests are serious business in athletics and there are severe penalties. I think that Russia just lost its OGM in dance.
Yes, drug tests are serious. But the most serious thing is the athletes health. - Actually one of the reason for anti-doping controls is to protect the athletes health. But if doping-rules for that have gone so far, that one injured skater has to do the test first and can only have medical care afterwards , though he/she should have been treated immediately, then these rules are plain stupid and should be changed as soon as possible. :no:

soogar

Record Breaker
Evdokia said:
Yes, drug tests are serious. But the most serious thing is the athletes health. - Actually one of the reason for anti-doping controls is to protect the athletes health. But if doping-rules for that have gone so far, that one injured skater has to do the test first and can only have medical care afterwards , though he/she should have been treated immediately, then these rules are plain stupid and should be changed as soon as possible. :no:

The only thing injured was her hand. She obviously was walking and had the presence of mind to sign the form.

I'm discussing this on FSU as well, but there are all sorts of drugs that are being developed to evade the system. No doubt that there probably are drugs that are fast acting and can get out of the system within an hour (or at least they are being developed).

Unfortunately steroids and performance enhancing drugs are constantly evolving and the IOC has to deal with them the best way possible. Navka should have peed in the cup to avoid this situation. She's an athlete and knew the deal. I don't think she is going to get out of this.

I just think the three of them just got high the week before the competition and forgot that the substance needs two weeks to disappear.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Joe

Lcp88

On the Ice
I think the fact that it was more of a frantic miscommunication thing will play in their favor. If she had refused one (a la Kyoko Ina), they would probably have been suspended by now.

Slightly irrelivant, but if by some miracle/disaster (depending on how you look at it) N/K don't go to the Olympics, does Russia get to send another team? I'm don't know the doping rules.

Evdokia

On the Ice
soogar said:
The only thing injured was her hand. She obviously was walking and had the presence of mind to sign the form.
I didn't argue that Navka's injury was life-threatening or something like that, but probably it was enough to put her in conflict to either make the test and risk the Olympics because of late treatment of her hand or to make sure to be fit until Turino with skipping the test. - I don't think that athletes should be put in conflicts like that, in this situation you can't win anyways. And I don't think that drug tests should endanger the athletes' health. :mad:

soogar said:
Navka should have peed in the cup to avoid this situation. She's an athlete and knew the deal. I don't think she is going to get out of this.
Yes, she is an athlete and I'm pretty sure she didn't make the decision on her own. Probably she got advise & approval for treatment, maybe even by the officials themeselves. It was an exceptional situation, for Navka and the officials. If you were in her situation, would you have done the test and taken the risk of not being able to compete at the OG at full strength because of an injury? But then it's always easy to be more clever after it's all over. :sheesh:

kyla2

Final Flight
This Is Nuts

This is just nuts. She should have been able to get her hand fixed first and then take the drug test. It's just crap and the situation with the cold medicine and Elena was crap too. Skating can be such a joke.

Jhar55

Medalist
The article said she didn't have stitches until the next day.
Just another chapter in As The Ice Melts..:biggrin: