Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Christians in skating

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    I feel uncomfortable about this topic. Majority of people in this country were brought up as Christians (other religions are in the minority), so it is not unusual to see many US skaters with Christian beliefs. With the number of immigrants increasing you see some other religions in the country. Why should that be a factor for a skater? I see religious practice as something personal/private and I don't feel comfortable discussing those practices for skaters. Some eastern religions are very tolerant of other religions, and some practices are even inclusive/universal, so it does not really matter what label one chooses (or no label). Many non-Christians celebrate Christmas, and have a Christmas tree, so that alone would not be a criterion to determine one's religion (I only mentioned this because it was mentioned by someone).

Vash
    I agree. I only replied about Kwan because she seemed pretty open about sharing those religious items in the magazine letting one sort of guess what kind of beliefs Kwan has. Again, I'm not saying she's anything specific, just that she had those things in her house.

what's the difference between this thread and "is Sasha a Kabaalist(sp)" thread?

to answer this question... the question is do you want your typical run of the mill American Christian answer (meaning just about anyone who isn't following some sort of other religion not based on Christianity) or do you want the "born-again and proud" only skaters?

AFAIK the ones that have come out and spoken out about their faith (and are known for it by others):
    Paul Wylie (both Katia and Scott write about his faith in their books, he's also on many Christian radio programs throughout the year... I was the one who bugged a Christian sports program for weeks and they finally got him on the program after I chewed them out for being biased against skating lol I was 15 so sue me )
    Janet Lynn (she speaks at churches once in a while IIRC as well)
    Ryan Jahnke (works with the youth of his church, my dad is all for him lol)
    JoJo Starbuck is as well...

then, depending on what you believe/have been taught, there are many catholics in skating as well (I put them under the Christian label, but I know there are some that don't consider them under that heading)
    Timothy Goebel
    Tara Lipinski was but I'm not sure if she still follows, I want to say I read an interview where she was looking at another more eastern religion... I could be completely dreaming though lol
    Katia Gordeeva talked about being baptized in a Russian church but I got the impression she didn't really follow religion... it could change...

not sure what some of the others are... I know that Scott Hamilton's wife was a longstanding member of her church and so I don't know if Scott has changed his religious views or whatever... *shrugs*

I think the only ones we can really be sure of are the ones who talk about it... and there aren't that many that do...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle
    As a Christian, I like to write famous Christians and encourage them. Which figure skaters are known to be Christians?
    I would rather encourage a skater because of his/her skating/personality, but not because of his/her religion.

Rinkside
    Rosalyn Sumners, is, I think a Christian. Also, I recall back 5 or 6 years ago, Someone posted they had heard Michelle was baptized. Don't know is it's true or not. I believe Frank Carroll is a Christian, so he may have had some influence. She would have been fairly young if true.

grannie frances

Quote Originally Posted by Evdokia
    I would rather encourage a skater because of his/her skating/personality, but not because of his/her religion.
    I think the poster meant encourage them "in their faith" not just as an athelete...

I do that many times myself... it's called uplifting a fellow believer... we're called and encouraged to do just that in the Bible...

another one who has made reference to a Christian belief is Michael Weiss.... he refers to a "bigger plan" and "God's plan" several times in his journal entries (especially the last couple of entries lol)
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 01-27-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Evdokia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    I feel uncomfortable about this topic. Majority of people in this country were brought up as Christians (other religions are in the minority), so it is not unusual to see many US skaters with Christian beliefs. With the number of immigrants increasing you see some other religions in the country. Why should that be a factor for a skater? I see religious practice as something personal/private and I don't feel comfortable discussing those practices for skaters. Some eastern religions are very tolerant of other religions, and some practices are even inclusive/universal, so it does not really matter what label one chooses (or no label). Many non-Christians celebrate Christmas, and have a Christmas tree, so that alone would not be a criterion to determine one's religion (I only mentioned this because it was mentioned by someone).

Vash
    Vash, you expressed my view perfectly. It was late last night and I couldn't come up with proper words to describe my point of view. Thank you!

then, depending on what you believe/have been taught, there are many catholics in skating as well (I put them under the Christian label, but I know there are some that don't consider them under that heading)
    Here is an explanation...

There are many denominations, types of churches that would be classified "Christian," such as Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran and so on. But obviously there are members in each one who genuinely have a relationship with Christ, and those who don't.
    The word "Christian" means "Christ in one," or "Christ inside of one." So, the real issue isn't what church a person belongs to, but whether the person individually has Jesus Christ living inside of him or her...if they really have a personal relationship with God.

Thank you, Piel... so many get into the protestant vs Catholic debate that they forget we're all serving/worshiping the same God.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    then, depending on what you believe/have been taught, there are many catholics in skating as well (I put them under the Christian label, but I know there are some that don't consider them under that heading) Timothy Goebel
    Catholics are Christians regardless of what folks from any other denomination believe in their biggoted, self-righteous, little minds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SingAlto
    Catholics are Christians regardless of what folks from any other denomination believe in their biggoted, self-righteous, little minds.
    who does not consider catholicism a christian religion?

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjake
    I'm a born again Christian. If you're Catholic and have Jesus in your heart, you're just as much saved as I am.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The subject is, "who is Christian in this sport?", so that she can encourage them in their walk with God. There is nothing wrong with that.

This shouldn't be a debate or "I'm offended", thread, because that was obviously not the intent of SwizzleTwizzle. She didn't mean anything malicious by it. So, it's not fair of anyone to accuse her of anything. I'm sincere when I say it breaks my heart to see someone getting put down for something they weren't trying to do.
    Last edited by CzarinaAnya; 01-27-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranjake
    Many, many, many.

Wouldn't all this be better served in Le Cafe and not The Edge?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Many, many, many.
    really?????who???????HOW?????????.......and i do think you're right re:le cafe...i'm just really curious. what is this based on?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast