Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: Christians in skating

  1. #31
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I grew up in a community where in the public school at that time differentiated the christians and the catholics.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    Just so you know -- since I'm Jewish, I leave the definition of "who is a Christian" to the Christians. I usually define a Christian in terms of those who are not defined as anything else, unless they have done something so far beyond what I have read about in the New Testament that they "disqualified themselves" (Nazis, for example, may have said that they were Christian while they were in the process of murdering people, but I don't call them so).

  3. #33
    In Love with Ice Dance! swizzletwizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    346
    Actually, I believe that Catholics can be Christians. It all depends on if you have Jesus in your heart.

    Secondly, I started this thread hoping to encourage skaters in their faith, so they would know that they had fans praying for them. I did not mean to offend anyone. I am a musician, & sometimes I feel there are no other Christians around when I am performing somewhere. When someone tells me that they're praying for me, it helps me grow stronger in my faith.

    I sincerely hope this answered anyone's questions, & I hope this thread doesn't get out of hand.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle
    Actually, I believe that Catholics can be Christians. It all depends on if you have Jesus in your heart.

    Secondly, I started this thread hoping to encourage skaters in their faith, so they would know that they had fans praying for them. I did not mean to offend anyone. I am a musician, & sometimes I feel there are no other Christians around when I am performing somewhere. When someone tells me that they're praying for me, it helps me grow stronger in my faith.

    I sincerely hope this answered anyone's questions, & I hope this thread doesn't get out of hand.
    you didn't offend me....i'm just puzzled...."catholics can be christians".....what are they if not christians? i guess i need to do a little research into this elsewhere; and i certainly mean no offense to anyone either.

  5. #35
    Da' Spellin' Homegirl Grgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,144
    This is what I know. You are a Christian if you believe in Jesus Christ. If there is a reason for the differentation it is Protestant or Catholic.

  6. #36
    In Love with Ice Dance! swizzletwizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    346
    What I mean by that is there are Catholics & Protestants who claim to be Christians, but they don't have Jesus in their heart. Without that, you really can't be a Christian. So, there are Catholics & Protestants who aren't Christians.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle
    What I mean by that is there are Catholics & Protestants who claim to be Christians, but they don't have Jesus in their heart. Without that, you really can't be a Christian. So, there are Catholics & Protestants who aren't Christians.
    Actually the definition is quite different:

    [QUOTEChristian
    9 entries found for Christian.
    To select an entry, click on it.
    Christian[1,noun]Christian[2,adjective]Christian BrotherChristian eraChristian nameChristian ScienceJudeo-Christianpre-ChristianChristian X

    Main Entry: 1Chris·tian
    Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
    1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : DISCIPLE 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961
    2 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress
    ][/QUOTE]

    And in the Methodist religion, I was raised to believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ which makes me a Christian.

    I don't think, swizzle, that you had anything other than good intentions in your heart. You certainly didn't offend me. However I would think that since those who broke away from the Catholic church were called Christians because they followed Christ and believed in his teachings, that it would make me wonder if Catholics would call themselves "Christians". The majority of Catholics that I know refer to themselves as "Catholics". Oh well, just something to stew on since I'm home with strep throat.

  8. #38
    Custom Title IDLERACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle
    As a Christian, I like to write famous Christians and encourage them. Which figure skaters are known to be Christians?
    If you are talking about skaters who are extremely vocal about their religious beliefs, I believe that Paul Wylie, Janet Lynn and Roz Sumners are the only three (to my knowledge) who have actually appeared on Christian television stations to discuss their faith.

    As for the current crop of amateurs, Bebe Liang attends a Baptist parochial school, but is not the sort of person who is in everyone's face about it. My guess is that the majority of skaters (like the majority of Americans) are either of some protestant denomination, Catholic or Mormon, but aren't into evangelizing. The vast majority of both moderately and devoutly religious Christians prefer to practice their faith quietly and with dignity, rather than hollering out some uncalled for fire and brimstone monologues on a street corner at passers by.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    134
    1. All Catholics are Christians.

    2. Michelle's family is from Hong Kong; NOT China.

    3. I am alarmed at the racism and ignorance that are rampant in this thread. I respectfully ask the moderators to remove this thread.

    "Plushenko is a religious orthodox." An orthodox WHAT?

    The use of the word "oriental" has been debunked uniformly - and with great research and rationale - in both academic and popular discourses.

    "Many many many" do not consider Catholicism a Christian religion? Well, at least no theologian, academic, or religious leader is part of this "many many many."

    Again, I ask the moderators to remove this thread. I ask posters to research the terms and ideas incorporated in their statements: religion is far too sticky a topic to handle lightly. The integrity of this site and its posters depends on informed comments on skating. When subjects like religion are raised, then the stakes become higher and the resulting posts magnify the knowledge/ignorance of the posters. New media like blogs and web forums are useful because of their abilities to bring together diverse opinions. However, this aggregation and its proliferation necessitate responsible participants, which includes both the posters and the moderators who negotiate - in other words, maintain and create - the forum's identity.

    Let religion be a topic. But let's keep it well informed. Here's a general rule. If you think you know what you're talking about, then you probably don't. Stop reading these posts and head to the library.
    Last edited by doug_log; 01-27-2006 at 08:22 PM.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Well, that's kinda rude, doug. No one here is ignorant except by your standard. I happen to know quite a bit about "religion", Catholicism, Mormons and Protestants. The subject interests me in learning how different beliefs are actually the same just stated differently. But to come here and call posters ignorant is really debasing THEIR beliefs and THEIR opinions.

    Anyhow, I believe the idea behind the thread was for swizzle to be able to encourage a figure skater who shares the same beliefs as she/he. That's not so bad at all. Matter of fact, that's pretty nice.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by swannanoa54
    Well, that's kinda rude, doug. No one here is ignorant except by your standard. I happen to know quite a bit about "religion", Catholicism, Mormons and Protestants. The subject interests me in learning how different beliefs are actually the same just stated differently. But to come here and call posters ignorant is really debasing THEIR beliefs and THEIR opinions.

    Anyhow, I believe the idea behind the thread was for swizzle to be able to encourage a figure skater who shares the same beliefs as she/he. That's not so bad at all. Matter of fact, that's pretty nice.
    Yes, pretty nice. I think I made it clear that I also think it's pretty nice. See the end of my post especially. I stress that religion can be an interesting and stimulating topic. No where in my thread do I say that religion should be a no-go. Swannanoa (very nice town, btw), I request that after rereading my post, that you remove from your post the implication that I believe that Swizzle's topic is a bad one.

    My standard for ignorance is a belief in possessing and professing an untruth as fact. To use your terms, when people think "THEIR beliefs and THEIR opinions" are facts, then that is ignorance. And this thread smacks of it. It is my opinion that that is undeniable.

    Am I debasing ignorant posts? Maybe, but I think "drawing attention to problematic posts" is a better phrase

    Are there ignorant threads? Undeniably. Did I attack anyone? Not by name, but a simple game of connect the dots will show you three of the more extreme example of ignorance and the people who created them.

  12. #42
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    I am Catholic and am not offended by this thread. Swizzle's intention is a good one I think. Actually it is the duty of all Christians to support each other. She asked which skaters were Christian so she could encourage them. She did not attempt to force her beliefs on skaters who do not share her faith. As for inaccuracies regarding different religions I don't think they are being made out of hate, just misinformation.

    This does belong in LeCafe.
    Last edited by Piel; 01-27-2006 at 08:38 PM.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by doug_log
    Yes, pretty nice. I think I made it clear that I also think it's pretty nice. See the end of my post especially. I stress that religion can be an interesting and stimulating topic. No where in my thread do I say that religion should be a no-go. Swannanoa (very nice town, btw), I request that after rereading my post, that you remove from your post the implication that I believe that Swizzle's topic is a bad one.

    My standard for ignorance is a belief in possessing and professing an untruth as fact. To use your terms, when people think "THEIR beliefs and THEIR opinions" are facts, then that is ignorance. And this thread smacks of it. It is my opinion that that is undeniable.

    Am I debasing ignorant posts? Maybe, but I think "drawing attention to problematic posts" is a better phrase

    Are there ignorant threads? Undeniably. Did I attack anyone? Not by name, but a simple game of connect the dots will show you three of the more extreme example of ignorance and the people who created them.
    Actually you aren't connecting any dots in my post. I didn't implicate that you thought the thread was bad, that's why I separated the second paragraph from the first. I do think you are debasing opinions. If you don't like them, then follow your own advice and don't read those posters' opinions. Simple to do. And I did not say anything was a "fact" when referencing someone's opinions or beliefs. Not all opinions/beliefs are founded in "fact". But if someone chooses to state them as "facts", then it is up to others to discount them as non-facts. Simple once again.

    And yes, Swannanoa is very nice. I have relatives there. I love that area up there in the mountains.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by swannanoa54
    Actually you aren't connecting any dots in my post. I didn't implicate that you thought the thread was bad, that's why I separated the second paragraph from the first. I do think you are debasing opinions. If you don't like them, then follow your own advice and don't read those posters' opinions. Simple to do. And I did not say anything was a "fact" when referencing someone's opinions or beliefs. Not all opinions/beliefs are founded in "fact". But if someone chooses to state them as "facts", then it is up to others to discount them as non-facts. Simple once again.

    And yes, Swannanoa is very nice. I have relatives there. I love that area up there in the mountains.
    And it is the moderators' responsibility to keep the forum from becoming a less-than-dilettantish discussion of religion, which is where this thread is right now.

  15. #45
    Custom Title IDLERACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzletwizzle
    What I mean by that is there are Catholics & Protestants who claim to be Christians, but they don't have Jesus in their heart. Without that, you really can't be a Christian. So, there are Catholics & Protestants who aren't Christians.
    Just out of curiosity, how on earth is anybody here supposed to know what goes on in the hearts of athletes...or anyone else for that matter?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •