Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Kwan Test Results

Soogar......Have you ever heard of a "designated hitter" in baseball? He's the one who doesn't play regularly, but because of his skill, power, and reliability, he's called on to hit when the team is in need. Let's call Michelle the "designated hitter" for the U.S. Ladies at the Olympics! .............and be done with it! 42

Quote Originally Posted by flowjo35
    Wow. This thread was about Michelle's skate test?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Soogar......Have you ever heard of a "designated hitter" in baseball? He's the one who doesn't play regularly, but because of his skill, power, and reliability, he's called on to hit when the team is in need. Let's call Michelle the "designated hitter" for the U.S. Ladies at the Olympics! .............and be done with it! 42

But in figure skating, there are no "designated hitters". That's correct if you have a full tream behind you on the field like baseball or on the ice like hockey, they all work together but in figure skating you are out there by yourself. No team, no designated hitter. There may be an Olympic team, but they all work separately.
    Good luck to Michelle and the other skaters

You know what I wish Emily had done? I wish she would have fought for that spot by going to Four Continents. If she could have decisive beaten Katy Taylor, Bebe Liang and Yukari Nakano -- all of them skaters on the verge of Olympic quality -- while posting big CoP numbers, this at least would have put some pressure on the USFS commitee in their deliberations.

It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but at least she would have put up a fight.

MM

Millie, I was being silly (no pun intended). I was speaking somewhat metaphorically, the "team" being the Olympic team whose medal tally count encompasses all sports with Michelle up to bat, or to skate, for a medal......like I said, I was being silly........... 42

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    You know what I wish Emily had done? I wish she would have fought for that spot by going to Four Continents. If she could have decisive beaten Katy Taylor, Bebe Liang and Yukari Nakano -- all of them skaters on the verge of Olympic quality -- while posting big CoP numbers, this at least would have put some pressure on the USFS commitee in their deliberations.

It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but at least she would have put up a fight.

MM
    I don't think it would have made any difference. The Ladies event was decided after the test skate and announcement. Also, the only thing to deliberate during the test skate if I understand correctly, was Michelle's recovery, and expected ability to skate at the Oly's. I don't think it was a "how did MK skate in the test compared to how Emily skated at Nationals" event.

I think the importance of Emily's position as the alternate for the Oly team is getting lost. The alternate is a very important position in case ANY of the Ladies team get injured or sick and can't compete. So I view it as a responsible decision for team Emily to take this role seriously, and focus on training in case something happens, if team Emily think that's the best way for her to maximize readiness just in case.

I have this same opinion for the alternates in all the diciplines and other sports as well. I don't think it's a role to take lightly. (at least I hope no one is taking it lightly)

DG

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Millie, I was being silly (no pun intended). I was speaking somewhat metaphorically, the "team" being the Olympic team whose medal tally count encompasses all sports with Michelle up to bat, or to skate, for a medal......like I said, I was being silly........... 42

hey show 42, in all this silly retoritic with posters going back and forth, saying my favourite is going to win or your favourite is going to lose, your favourite is poo poo pants or your favourite is a pee pee pants (in a sence that's what it all boils down to). The main thing is they they all go out and skate their best and come what may, come away from the Games with a great experience, to know that they did their best at that particular moment. In my mind, they will all be winners, not winners of the Gold, but winners that they can play the game, win or lose.

_Good Sportsmanship
    Good sportsmanship we hail, we sing
    It's always pleasant when you spot it.
    There's only on unhappy thing.
    You have to lose to prove you got it.

Custom Title

Imo

You're right Millie, they are all winners.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10