apparently her layout is the following

2axel (skipped)
3sal
3flip
3lutz/2toe
3toe/2toe/2toe
3flip/toe
2lutz

if she sticks to that layout, it looks like she's backloading for extra points. Very smart ;)

You also have to add the possible triple-triple. In the article, she really sounded like she was determined to go for it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am very happy for Michelle and relieved. Some of you are under the assumption that everyone else, but Michelle, is going to nail their programs, every last jump will be perfectly rotated, landed solidly, and not doubled......come one now, how often does that happen? Give her a break.........:laugh: 42

swannanoa54

On the Ice
MidnightNess said:
apparently her layout is the following

2axel (skipped)
3sal
3flip
3lutz/2toe
3toe/2toe/2toe
3flip/toe
2lutz

if she sticks to that layout, it looks like she's backloading for extra points. Very smart ;)

I thought the majority of the articles were saying she landed a 3flip/2loop/2loop which bodes well for having the loop jump even as a double.

RD, I think that she stands as good a chance as anyone else of getting a medal including the golden one.:clap: Sounds like her footwork is really up there and most of the articles I've read so far have said she has L3/L4 elements. So someone knows something.

And, show, I agree with you. It isn't as if everyone is going to come out and have the skate of a lifetime.

ETA: And I really like reading about her "majestic spirals". Majestic! I love that word.

Jhar55

Medalist
I happy she's going, and hope she does well. I never thought she would and happy I am wrong. Hope she just take everything in has fun and enjoys her last Oplymics as a competer.:thumbsup:

kyla2

Final Flight
Happy

I am very happy she did as well as she did, which was pretty darn good. I think she is doing amazingly well and I didn't expect her to be so far along. I just pray to GOD that she doesn't re-injure herself and that she can keep up her stamina. She looks really good and in shape. Great going Michelle and congratulations!!!

sk8m8

Final Flight
I'm personally very happy for Ms. Kwan, she's won me over with the passage of time and I think that with her 9 time nats and 5 times world (9 world medals overall) she has certainly earned her opportunity to be considered and affirmed for her place on the olympic team.

My real question is , if she medals, what pressure will there be to leave Emily behind and have Kwan skate for one last Worlds title? Quite rightly, Kwan should be given the opportunity to compete for the Olympics due to her lengthy resume and the fact that this will be her swan song olympically. However, would it be right for her to go to world if it meant someone wouldn't get to complete. As much as I'd like to see her win another worlds, I think that she could retire with any color medal and her standing in the sport most likely won't be eclipsed for a long time.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
sk8m8 said:

My real question is , if she medals, what pressure will there be to leave Emily behind and have Kwan skate for one last Worlds title? Quite rightly, Kwan should be given the opportunity to compete for the Olympics due to her lengthy resume and the fact that this will be her swan song olympically. However, would it be right for her to go to world if it meant someone wouldn't get to complete. As much as I'd like to see her win another worlds, I think that she could retire with any color medal and her standing in the sport most likely won't be eclipsed for a long time.

I read somewhere that Michelle wanted her last skate to be at Olys. Furthermore, Michelle didn't petition for Worlds; Emily was named to the World team, and Michelle isn't even listed as an alternate So, even if Michelle medaled, I think that all h*** would break loose if Michelle kicked Emily off of the World team.

sk8m8 said:
My real question is , if she medals, what pressure will there be to leave Emily behind and have Kwan skate for one last Worlds title?
None. The world team has already been announced: Sasha, Kimmie, Emily.

If Sasha decides not to compete (hey, she might the the Olympic champ at that point), I think Katy Taylor is the alternate.

bronxgirl

Medalist
sk8m8 said:
I'm personally very happy for Ms. Kwan, she's won me over with the passage of time and I think that with her 9 time nats and 5 times world (9 world medals overall) she has certainly earned her opportunity to be considered and affirmed for her place on the olympic team.

With her 5 world titles, even if Michelle should medal, I don't think she would begrudge Emily the chance to go.

cmego500 said:
You also have to add the possible triple-triple. In the article, she really sounded like she was determined to go for it.
I'm hoping that 3x3 comes into the play. Aside from the badly needed points, it'll perk up the judges for GoEs on everything else.

Joe

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well I'm really happy for her and for myself as I miss seeing her skate. As for Gold it sounds as though she is really hungry for it . As per her jumps, well four 3s up from none two weeks ago is great considering she has four weeks before the LP in Torino. I think she has a shot.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
In everything I've read, Michelle acknowledged that a 3/3 would be helpful, but I never read that she actually said she is planning one. Sasha doesn't have one; she uses spins; based on what I've been reading on other boards, Michelle seems to be backloading her program. Besides, under the CoP, the main value of a 3/3 is to allow the skater to put in 7 triples in the allowable jumping passes, and that could also be done by a 3/3 sequence or a double axel triple toe combination -- and maybe, if the skater did something that no one else is doing (2 axel/3 toe), that would jump the PCS, as well as a 3/3

Also, again, Michelle seems to have done her FS, SP and a bunch of loose triples in a comparatively short period of time. At Olys, she gets a between the SP and FS.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, 8 min warmup, then followed with LP, after 4 min, followed with SP - sounds not far from what she's being doing in practice sessions when the competetion around the corner. Normally she would do SP imediately after the LP.

I think she proved herself beyond the doubt at this point.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
LET THE NITPICKING BEGIN

I'll start. Without the loop jump, she will need, imo, her magical charisma upgraded to level 5.
She has other plan.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Koroleva said:
Emily should be going.

No, Emily should NOT be going.
The best team should be going, and Michelle on her worst day, trumps what Emily Hughes can do.
Now that may make some people unhappy, but I'm certain with a little time you'll learn to live with it.

soogar

Record Breaker
insecureedge said:
With good footwork but somewhat mixed jump results...

LP: skipped 2axel, 3-4 triples (including 3lutz-2toe-2toe), ending 2lutz
SP: 2axel (fall), 3lutz-2toe, 3flip (shaky)
No 3loops

Wow, that was soooooooooooooooo much better than Emily. Emily had a clean SP (with a save) and did 4 triples in her LP and at least attempted the 3 loop.

kyla2

Final Flight
NYMKFan51

I am right there with you. I couldn't have said it better. Michelle Kwan deserves this Olympic berth from ANY standpoint. Emily is not even close to Michelle Kwan in ability or history in the sport. I am thrilled that she has another chance to show the world who she is.
Soogar, Emily looks like a junior skater with a gravity problem. She couldn't outskate Michelle with or without the loop.