Kwan Test Results | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kwan Test Results

Justafan

On the Ice
soogar said:
Nothing wrong about that, but she lost her one shot to go to the games and folks act like there's going to be another shot for her b/c she's 16. I don't believe that will be the case for Emily.

There is no way of knowing if Michelle had been healthy at the nats, that she wouldn't have bested Emily there. Michelle through her career has done a lot for the sport of figure skating and has helped to make it as popular in the mainstream as it is. She deserved to go and this isn't the first time that something like this has happened. If she chooses to go to college, more power to her, but that is her choice. Alissa goes to college fulltime and skates fulltime, so we know it can be done. If Emily wants it badly enough she will do it. We know for a fact how badly Michelle wants it and I for one, would love to see her go with full confidence and support, as the Olympics have been her nemesis.

soogar said:
Nothing wrong about that, but she lost her one shot to go to the games and folks act like there's going to be another shot for her b/c she's 16. I don't believe that will be the case for Emily.
Especially with Mao around and still a teenager in2010

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm a little lost at the idea that something's been taken away from Hughes. Kwan didn't reinstate after retiring, thus changing the equation for skaters who decided to continue because of her retirement. Hughes trained up to this year believing that the odds were that everyone except Kwan and Cohen were fighting for one spot, and that her competition was Liang, Meissner, Czissny, et al. She knew before the competition that Kwan was asking for a bye. USFS didn't create a "bye" process specifically for Kwan; in fact she was denied a spot on the team by the same process in 1994. Hughes knew that a bye would be likely if Kwan were healthy, given the number of byes that had been granted in the past to less-lauded skaters like Eldredge, Kerrigan, and Meno/Sand, and that USFS wasn't likely to make an example of Kwan like they did by denying Bobek's request. Hughes knew that the only way to guarantee a spot was to win the championship, and only other likely way to make the team was to come in a clear second. She knew that a series of other competitions were also in the weighting process for the second and third slots. In a head-to-head comparison between Hughes and Kwan, when has Hughes been competitive against Kwan?

If anything, for a skater who came in one spot short at US Nationals, Hughes was in a better position to skate at the Olympics, because Kwan was injured, and there was a chance that she'd have to withdraw.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Emily chooses not to compete past her senior year in high school, that is her choice. Not skating in 2010 is a part of the same kind of flawed logic Mrs. Mitchell presented as a reason why Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell should make the Olympic team.

Emily doesn't deserve an Olympic spot because (a) she wants it and (b) her name is Hughes and Poppa has lots of influence and (c) she'll be off to the Ivy League after next year. Emily needed to EARN that spot by delivering two sublime performances at US Nationals. Her SP was good, if overscored, but her FS was exactly like her FS performances in the GP events, where she earned a stupefying total 125 points (the ISU judges aren't nearly as impressed with her as the US judges). Emily's marks were far too high for the clumsy performance she gave. She should have received a score between 88 and 92, not the 106 she got.

There were other skaters at Nationals who did better FSs than Emily but weren't scored as high (Katy Taylor and Christine Zukowski, for two). I'm sure they wanted that Olympic spot too, and they plan to be in skating for the long haul.

Remember, only the US champion (Cohen) was guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. Kimmie Meissner earned HER spot by completing 7 triples and skating extremely well. Emily's 4-triples-with-splat earned her a trip to Worlds, and she should be extremely grateful she got that.

getreal

Spectator
Mathman said:
None. The world team has already been announced: Sasha, Kimmie, Emily.

If Sasha decides not to compete (hey, she might the the Olympic champ at that point), I think Katy Taylor is the alternate.

Kimmie, Katy and Emily would be the weakest US womens team in years. what would be the chances the US would come away with 3 spots for the following Worlds? There are specific ISU rules about how well the Team has to do in order to earn 3 spots.

Chuckm, actually, from everything I've read, I think that Emily herself is pleased with the success she has had this year, culminating with the honor of being named to the World team. I do not see any evidence that the Hughes family tried to influence anyone unfairly. There is no reason to pick on Emily just because we are happy that Michelle skated OK yesterday. :scratch:

Last edited:
getreal said:
Kimmie, Katy and Emily would be the weakest US womens team in years. what would be the chances the US would come away with 3 spots for the following Worlds?
That's life.

getreal

Spectator
chuckm said:
If Emily chooses not to compete past her senior year in high school, that is her choice. Not skating in 2010 is a part of the same kind of flawed logic Mrs. Mitchell presented as a reason why Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell should make the Olympic team.

Emily doesn't deserve an Olympic spot because (a) she wants it and (b) her name is Hughes and Poppa has lots of influence and (c) she'll be off to the Ivy League after next year. Emily needed to EARN that spot by delivering two sublime performances at US Nationals. Her SP was good, if overscored, but her FS was exactly like her FS performances in the GP events, where she earned a stupefying total 125 points (the ISU judges aren't nearly as impressed with her as the US judges). Emily's marks were far too high for the clumsy performance she gave. She should have received a score between 88 and 92, not the 106 she got.

There were other skaters at Nationals who did better FSs than Emily but weren't scored as high (Katy Taylor and Christine Zukowski, for two). I'm sure they wanted that Olympic spot too, and they plan to be in skating for the long haul.

Remember, only the US champion (Cohen) was guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. Kimmie Meissner earned HER spot by completing 7 triples and skating extremely well. Emily's 4-triples-with-splat earned her a trip to Worlds, and she should be extremely grateful she got that.
You are obviously a close follower of the sport. please tell us new fans, what is the reason for all the attention for Emily? If she werent Sarah's sister would anyone care? I looked up her record on the Association's website. what am i missing? she has done nothing as a senior lady; and was in last place as a junior. shes been at one senior International event. The only thing Golden about her is the PR machine she must have. help us out, whats going on here for people to compare her with Kwan.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
To Michelle Kwan-
Congratulations on making the Olympic Team a third time. Hope you have the skate of your life and a gold medal to go along with your silver and bronze.:clap:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A quote from Michelle from the article
“One of the reasons why I put in the petition is that I do have a shot. I can’t tell you the percentage. I will take advantage of that shot and do my best. As of now I’m right on schedule.”
:clap: :clap: Good for you Michelle, now go for it and get that medal!!!! What do you have to lose???

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't see that a 3/3 would be of any benefit unless she plans to do another double axel which given that that is jump that causes the injured groin the most pain, i would doubt. If she's leaving the loop out, there's nothing to gain my doing a 3/3.

Axels, loops, and sals are all edge jumps. It's amazing she can pull off the triple sal at all. If she doesn't need the loop and can rack up points other ways then that's the way to go. Michelle and her team obviously know best.............42

getreal said:
You are obviously a close follower of the sport. please tell us new fans, what is the reason for all the attention for Emily? If she werent Sarah's sister would anyone care? I looked up her record on the Association's website. what am i missing? she has done nothing as a senior lady; and was in last place as a junior. she's been at one senior International event. The only thing Golden about her is the PR machine she must have. help us out, whats going on here for people to compare her with Kwan.
Hi Getreal. I hope Chuckm can give you a satisfactory answer to your questions. But if you are a new fan, maybe you don't know that there is a tiny but extremely intense group of Internet enthusiasts who despise Michelle Kwan and everything about her. It's not so much that they like Emily as that they don't like Michelle. Go figure.

I believe that Emily has a big fan base among very young skaters (pre-teen). Like her sister, she is nice, she is pretty, she does charitable works, she puts on skating clinics for children, she is a good student -- there really isn't anything bad to say about her. Plus, she does not look, act, or skate like a prima donna -- more like the girl next door, so that has a certain charm.

Obviously Emily's accomplishments in the sport can't be compared to Michelle Kwan's -- whose can? Even Sasha Cohen, the number two U.S. lady -- well, she has one U.S. championship under her belt -- come back in eight years with eight more and we'll talk.

But Michelle with an aching hip and a pulled groin, Michelle who wasn't able to train a double Axel until the day before yesterday -- she still has an uphill battle if she wants to bang instead of whimper in Torino.

JMO

MM :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
And she only started training the 2a on Thursday! (as in only a day ago)
It was said at her level, the musel memory is very solid. When cleared for the jumps, then just jumps.....AFIAK one week she got all her toe jumps back. By the end of last week she was able to run through programs with all toe jumps in the programs.....but honestly I diddn't expect her putting any edge jumps in programs since she had not tried any edge jumps by the end of last week......given the time she is allowed to stay on ice, it was amazing.

You never know and ice is slipy.

Go Kween.

Last edited by a moderator:

76olympics

On the Ice
Why the dislike for Michelle (scratches head)?

I have always been bemused as to why anyone could intensely dislike Michelle Kwan. There have been innumerable skaters who understandably provoke fierce likes and dislikes: Cranston, Witt, Hamilton, Kerrigan, Bauil, etc. All of these have said and done controversial things that might be considered over-dramatic, unsportsmanlike, etc. They (or the events around them (Kerrigan) are colorful people.

Michelle has always been nice and rather consistent. I think she has won when she shone and taken a lesser place when someone else did (Tara at the Olympics, Sarah and Irina at the Olympics). I don't think you can seriously question her niche in the sport: she has had some luminous moments. She has never pouted, made a fuss, or made indiscreet comments. What on earth is there to loathe? This bye is not controversial at all or unique to Michelle. It has happened before as many have pointed out. If she isn't ready, then her performance will suffer. But-Michelle's history doesn't suggest someone who is in the grips of self-delusion. Objectively, with the field we have now, she has a legitimate place on the American team.

I don't think anyone will ever be able to explain to me some of the comments on message boards about her. They are completely bizarre. And-no-I am not a "Fan" (capitalized)--but there just isn't anything about Michelle to fume about.

I wish her well in Torino along with all of the other skaters.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have always been bemused as to why anyone could intensely dislike Michelle Kwan.

One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Chuckm, actually, from everything I've read, I think that Emily herself is pleased with the success she has had this year, culminating with the honor of being named to the World team. I do not see any evidence that the Hughes family tried to influence anyone unfairly. There is no reason to pick on Emily just because we are happy that Michelle skated OK yesterday. :scratch:
Well you never know.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, to start, I think the hatred is not so much MK herself as it is her FANATICS. Sure, there are those that will take any opportunity to shoot her down but in this argument, one (conveniently?) forgets the other group- the Kwan worshippers. I think that particular group gets on people's nerves and they take out their anger on the skater rather than the skaters' fans. It's sometimes a turnoff how certain people think MK is "the Kween", above everyone else, can do no wrong, etc. She is HUMAN. She has flaws just like you and me.

I say it's people's perogative whether they want to like her or not. No one should force somebody to like this person, or shame them for not liking this person. It's just a matter of favorites.

That said, with MK going to Torino, this discussion is basically over. I'm sick of hearing about how Emily is being "robbed", etc. It just gets me back to the "Kwan's being handed this spot just because she's MK" frame of mind, and I don't like that. Let's just "stop the hating and enjoy the skating".

JMO

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
She is HUMAN. She has flaws just like you and me.

JMO
None says she isn't HUMAN. History prove she is human, otherwise she won't lost, she won't have injuries, etc.....Just because she is human and yet able to do what she does, that make her more admirable for her fans.

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
The USFSA allows for a competitor to request an injury bye, they have granted MK one, and deemed her fit to compete. MK, though recently recovered from a series of injuries, is also a proven competitor who is generally very consistent. People criticize her for not competing under the COP, but in the 2005 Worlds, she was 4th under the COP, so how bad can she be? Emily is charming and talented, but is unproven on the international level. MK, if healthy and fit, can perform well enough to make the podium, and certainly could have a top five finish (the qualifier of course is "if healthy and fit.") I don't consider Emily to be a poduim contender at the Olys. Of course, she might have surprised everyone if given the chance. Still, I agree with the USFSA's decision.

millie

Medalist
show 42 said:
One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42

Remarks like you make are reasons why non-fans of Michelle react like they do.
QUOTE "Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner". "That's the mark of a true champion and icon". I don't think it's dislike of Michelle but the dislike of the remarks some fans make. I am a fan of figure skating. Waiting for the news of Michelle's upcoming test skate, I was just as excited and pleased as an of her fans. BUT, when you start making remarks of jealously, other favs "moment of glory" being over-shadowed , even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner, that's the remarks that get's her non-fans in a hissy-fit.

Be proud of her but you don't have to put down other fans and skaters in the process.

Best of luck to Michelle and the other skaters.:)