Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 143

Thread: Kwan Test Results

  1. #61
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Nothing wrong about that, but she lost her one shot to go to the games and folks act like there's going to be another shot for her b/c she's 16. I don't believe that will be the case for Emily.

    There is no way of knowing if Michelle had been healthy at the nats, that she wouldn't have bested Emily there. Michelle through her career has done a lot for the sport of figure skating and has helped to make it as popular in the mainstream as it is. She deserved to go and this isn't the first time that something like this has happened. If she chooses to go to college, more power to her, but that is her choice. Alissa goes to college fulltime and skates fulltime, so we know it can be done. If Emily wants it badly enough she will do it. We know for a fact how badly Michelle wants it and I for one, would love to see her go with full confidence and support, as the Olympics have been her nemesis.

  2. #62
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Nothing wrong about that, but she lost her one shot to go to the games and folks act like there's going to be another shot for her b/c she's 16. I don't believe that will be the case for Emily.
    Especially with Mao around and still a teenager in2010

  3. #63
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    I'm a little lost at the idea that something's been taken away from Hughes. Kwan didn't reinstate after retiring, thus changing the equation for skaters who decided to continue because of her retirement. Hughes trained up to this year believing that the odds were that everyone except Kwan and Cohen were fighting for one spot, and that her competition was Liang, Meissner, Czissny, et al. She knew before the competition that Kwan was asking for a bye. USFS didn't create a "bye" process specifically for Kwan; in fact she was denied a spot on the team by the same process in 1994. Hughes knew that a bye would be likely if Kwan were healthy, given the number of byes that had been granted in the past to less-lauded skaters like Eldredge, Kerrigan, and Meno/Sand, and that USFS wasn't likely to make an example of Kwan like they did by denying Bobek's request. Hughes knew that the only way to guarantee a spot was to win the championship, and only other likely way to make the team was to come in a clear second. She knew that a series of other competitions were also in the weighting process for the second and third slots. In a head-to-head comparison between Hughes and Kwan, when has Hughes been competitive against Kwan?

    If anything, for a skater who came in one spot short at US Nationals, Hughes was in a better position to skate at the Olympics, because Kwan was injured, and there was a chance that she'd have to withdraw.

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,549
    If Emily chooses not to compete past her senior year in high school, that is her choice. Not skating in 2010 is a part of the same kind of flawed logic Mrs. Mitchell presented as a reason why Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell should make the Olympic team.

    Emily doesn't deserve an Olympic spot because (a) she wants it and (b) her name is Hughes and Poppa has lots of influence and (c) she'll be off to the Ivy League after next year. Emily needed to EARN that spot by delivering two sublime performances at US Nationals. Her SP was good, if overscored, but her FS was exactly like her FS performances in the GP events, where she earned a stupefying total 125 points (the ISU judges aren't nearly as impressed with her as the US judges). Emily's marks were far too high for the clumsy performance she gave. She should have received a score between 88 and 92, not the 106 she got.

    There were other skaters at Nationals who did better FSs than Emily but weren't scored as high (Katy Taylor and Christine Zukowski, for two). I'm sure they wanted that Olympic spot too, and they plan to be in skating for the long haul.

    Remember, only the US champion (Cohen) was guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. Kimmie Meissner earned HER spot by completing 7 triples and skating extremely well. Emily's 4-triples-with-splat earned her a trip to Worlds, and she should be extremely grateful she got that.

  5. #65
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    None. The world team has already been announced: Sasha, Kimmie, Emily.

    If Sasha decides not to compete (hey, she might the the Olympic champ at that point), I think Katy Taylor is the alternate.
    Kimmie, Katy and Emily would be the weakest US womens team in years. what would be the chances the US would come away with 3 spots for the following Worlds? There are specific ISU rules about how well the Team has to do in order to earn 3 spots.

  6. #66
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,199
    Chuckm, actually, from everything I've read, I think that Emily herself is pleased with the success she has had this year, culminating with the honor of being named to the World team. I do not see any evidence that the Hughes family tried to influence anyone unfairly. There is no reason to pick on Emily just because we are happy that Michelle skated OK yesterday.
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-28-2006 at 11:47 AM.

  7. #67
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,199
    Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    Kimmie, Katy and Emily would be the weakest US womens team in years. what would be the chances the US would come away with 3 spots for the following Worlds?
    That's life.

  8. #68
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    If Emily chooses not to compete past her senior year in high school, that is her choice. Not skating in 2010 is a part of the same kind of flawed logic Mrs. Mitchell presented as a reason why Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell should make the Olympic team.

    Emily doesn't deserve an Olympic spot because (a) she wants it and (b) her name is Hughes and Poppa has lots of influence and (c) she'll be off to the Ivy League after next year. Emily needed to EARN that spot by delivering two sublime performances at US Nationals. Her SP was good, if overscored, but her FS was exactly like her FS performances in the GP events, where she earned a stupefying total 125 points (the ISU judges aren't nearly as impressed with her as the US judges). Emily's marks were far too high for the clumsy performance she gave. She should have received a score between 88 and 92, not the 106 she got.

    There were other skaters at Nationals who did better FSs than Emily but weren't scored as high (Katy Taylor and Christine Zukowski, for two). I'm sure they wanted that Olympic spot too, and they plan to be in skating for the long haul.

    Remember, only the US champion (Cohen) was guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. Kimmie Meissner earned HER spot by completing 7 triples and skating extremely well. Emily's 4-triples-with-splat earned her a trip to Worlds, and she should be extremely grateful she got that.
    You are obviously a close follower of the sport. please tell us new fans, what is the reason for all the attention for Emily? If she werent Sarah's sister would anyone care? I looked up her record on the Association's website. what am i missing? she has done nothing as a senior lady; and was in last place as a junior. shes been at one senior International event. The only thing Golden about her is the PR machine she must have. help us out, whats going on here for people to compare her with Kwan.

  9. #69
    Gliding Along dlkksk8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,685
    To Michelle Kwan-
    Congratulations on making the Olympic Team a third time. Hope you have the skate of your life and a gold medal to go along with your silver and bronze.

  10. #70
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,671
    A quote from Michelle from the article
    “One of the reasons why I put in the petition is that I do have a shot. I can’t tell you the percentage. I will take advantage of that shot and do my best. As of now I’m right on schedule.”
    Good for you Michelle, now go for it and get that medal!!!! What do you have to lose???

    Dee

  11. #71
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    I don't see that a 3/3 would be of any benefit unless she plans to do another double axel which given that that is jump that causes the injured groin the most pain, i would doubt. If she's leaving the loop out, there's nothing to gain my doing a 3/3.
    Axels, loops, and sals are all edge jumps. It's amazing she can pull off the triple sal at all. If she doesn't need the loop and can rack up points other ways then that's the way to go. Michelle and her team obviously know best.............42

  12. #72
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,199
    Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    You are obviously a close follower of the sport. please tell us new fans, what is the reason for all the attention for Emily? If she werent Sarah's sister would anyone care? I looked up her record on the Association's website. what am i missing? she has done nothing as a senior lady; and was in last place as a junior. she's been at one senior International event. The only thing Golden about her is the PR machine she must have. help us out, whats going on here for people to compare her with Kwan.
    Hi Getreal. I hope Chuckm can give you a satisfactory answer to your questions. But if you are a new fan, maybe you don't know that there is a tiny but extremely intense group of Internet enthusiasts who despise Michelle Kwan and everything about her. It's not so much that they like Emily as that they don't like Michelle. Go figure.

    I believe that Emily has a big fan base among very young skaters (pre-teen). Like her sister, she is nice, she is pretty, she does charitable works, she puts on skating clinics for children, she is a good student -- there really isn't anything bad to say about her. Plus, she does not look, act, or skate like a prima donna -- more like the girl next door, so that has a certain charm.

    Obviously Emily's accomplishments in the sport can't be compared to Michelle Kwan's -- whose can? Even Sasha Cohen, the number two U.S. lady -- well, she has one U.S. championship under her belt -- come back in eight years with eight more and we'll talk.

    But Michelle with an aching hip and a pulled groin, Michelle who wasn't able to train a double Axel until the day before yesterday -- she still has an uphill battle if she wants to bang instead of whimper in Torino.

    JMO

    MM

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    And she only started training the 2a on Thursday! (as in only a day ago)
    It was said at her level, the musel memory is very solid. When cleared for the jumps, then just jumps.....AFIAK one week she got all her toe jumps back. By the end of last week she was able to run through programs with all toe jumps in the programs.....but honestly I diddn't expect her putting any edge jumps in programs since she had not tried any edge jumps by the end of last week......given the time she is allowed to stay on ice, it was amazing.

    You never know and ice is slipy.

    Go Kween.
    Last edited by mzheng; 01-28-2006 at 01:22 PM.

  14. #74
    Custom Title 76olympics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    469

    Why the dislike for Michelle (scratches head)?

    I have always been bemused as to why anyone could intensely dislike Michelle Kwan. There have been innumerable skaters who understandably provoke fierce likes and dislikes: Cranston, Witt, Hamilton, Kerrigan, Bauil, etc. All of these have said and done controversial things that might be considered over-dramatic, unsportsmanlike, etc. They (or the events around them (Kerrigan) are colorful people.

    Michelle has always been nice and rather consistent. I think she has won when she shone and taken a lesser place when someone else did (Tara at the Olympics, Sarah and Irina at the Olympics). I don't think you can seriously question her niche in the sport: she has had some luminous moments. She has never pouted, made a fuss, or made indiscreet comments. What on earth is there to loathe? This bye is not controversial at all or unique to Michelle. It has happened before as many have pointed out. If she isn't ready, then her performance will suffer. But-Michelle's history doesn't suggest someone who is in the grips of self-delusion. Objectively, with the field we have now, she has a legitimate place on the American team.

    I don't think anyone will ever be able to explain to me some of the comments on message boards about her. They are completely bizarre. And-no-I am not a "Fan" (capitalized)--but there just isn't anything about Michelle to fume about.

    I wish her well in Torino along with all of the other skaters.

  15. #75
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    I have always been bemused as to why anyone could intensely dislike Michelle Kwan.
    One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •