Kwan Test Results | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kwan Test Results

swannanoa54

On the Ice
What I don't understand is all the "Emily Hughes loses her spot to the Olympics" statements that were bandied about yesterday. Neither Emily OR Kimmie were guaranteed a spot on the Olympics team and I just don't understand why people think they were. Even more, I don't understand why professed figure skating fans (and not fans of any particular skater) have gotten so eaten up over Emily not going to the Olympics. Personally I enjoyed watching Emily skate at Nationals. I like her much better than I do Kimmie Meissner, but I also thought Kimmie did a wonderful job and did secure herself a spot on the Olympics team.

I also thought that Kwan used the injury rule as she is allowed to. That others before her have used this rule without all the hoopla and "she/he shouldn't go because so and so got 3rd at Nationals" has absolutely stunned me. And this is from a lot of posters across the boards who "say" they are fans of figure skating. If they are, then why aren't they glad we are sending our best skaters and that one of our best was injured at the time of Nationals?

Yesterday, every tidbit of news I heard about Kwan's test skate prefaced it by saying Emily lost her spot. It made me want to call them up and say "Emily never HAD a spot".

soogar, I didn't know you had a crystal ball that you could look in and read Emily's figure skating future or lack thereof. I certainly hope she sticks around until 2010 because she and Katy and Alissa are 3 of my favorite up-and-comers to keep watching for.

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
Remarks like you make are reasons why non-fans of Michelle react like they do.
QUOTE "Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner". "That's the mark of a true champion and icon". I don't think it's dislike of Michelle but the dislike of the remarks some fans make. I am a fan of figure skating. Waiting for the news of Michelle's upcoming test skate, I was just as excited and pleased as an of her fans. BUT, when you start making remarks of jealously, other favs "moment of glory" being over-shadowed , even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner, that's the remarks that get's her non-fans in a hissy-fit.

Be proud of her but you don't have to put down other fans and skaters in the process.

Best of luck to Michelle and the other skaters.:)

Well said. It's these types of comments that set people on edge. OK, she got to go to the Olys! No need to rub salt along with it, too!

Red Dog said:
... one (conveniently?) forgets the other group- the Kwan worshippers. I think that particular group gets on people's nerves and they take out their anger on the skater rather than the skaters' fans. It's sometimes a turnoff how certain people think MK is "the Kween", above everyone else, can do no wrong, etc.
That is the part that I don't get. Why do you find it annoying if someone else wants to adopt a favorite player and gush over her? If a fan thinks the sun rises and sets in Michelle's behind, why not just smile indulgently and go on to the next thread?

As for me, Jamie Silverstein :love: and Ryan O'Meara are going to rip in the Olympics. Navka and Kostomorov are toast. (N&K say, "who?")

(Of courseI I wouldn't post that at the Watanabe and Kido Forum.)

MM

bronxgirl

Medalist
Mathman said:
That is the part that I don't get. Why do you find it annoying if someone else wants to adopt a favorite player and gush over her? If a fan thinks the sun rises and sets in Michelle's behind, why not just smile indulgently and go on to the next thread?

MM

ITA . What gets my goat are the fans of one skater who denigrate another, and then swear up and down that they are not fans at all:yes:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Well said. It's these types of comments that set people on edge. OK, she got to go to the Olys! No need to rub salt along with it, too!

See, I'm with Mathman. I don't understand why anyone gets upset over comments by Kwan's fans. I certainly don't get upset over comments made by Cohen's fans and there have been more than a few made by them as well. Every skater has fans that are only fans of that skater. I know that some fans have only started watching figure skating more avidly since Kwan, some since Cohen. Some, like me, have watched since Fleming won her OGM.

I just take the comments with a grain of salt because with every comment made, there's always some truth in it. Like the "jealousy" comment that Show made. Whether non-Kwan fans like it or not, there is a grain of truth in that statement. The more anti-Kwan fans (not saying that's anyone here) do show signs of "jealousy" because Kwan seems to get more news coverage even when she doesn't skate at a competition. Do I think that's fair? Certainly it isn't, at least not to the skaters who are competing, but I understand that's how the journalists make their moolah, so to speak.

I, personally, have always been a figure skating fan first and foremost. Kwan has been my favorite skater for a very long time (but I didn't like her when she first skated, so go figure that out). I have three up-and-coming favorites that will fill that spot when she retires-Hughes/Taylor/Czisny and maybe Meissner.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Easier said than done. This is not just a case of one, two or even ten fans who adore MK and gush about her to no end. That can be dealt with by ignoring said thread or post. But included in this fanbase is a group of people who put down other skaters and fans in order to "raise" MK up. There is this incessant need to "settle a score" with anyone who doesn't share their viewpoint on kwan. And personally, I can do without that. Maybe some of you guys can, but I can't.

The comical thing? I see poster after poster getting either "ripped on" or "talked to" if they are non-Kwan or anti-Kwan. But let's say someone feels the same way about Irina? Or Cohen? Not a peep. (OK, lately I've been seeing a few Cohen defenders coming out of the woodwork). But that's it for me. This has been played out. Kwannies, enjoy your victory. I'm sure your "Kween" will do well at the Olys.

76olympics

On the Ice
Mathman, you caught my drift completely. There are many skaters with fervently devoted fans and I see all of those fans post. Their posts are very similar to the Kwan fans' posts. Fan talk is never extremely interesting for the less devoted (example: see my Toller gush/ tirade on a thread! LOL! It would be nothing but Greek to someone oblivious to his appeal). All fans can be tiresome; just don't visit those threads or read through those comments. I think Anti-Kwan stuff is less typical and much more disturbing given the "vanilla" quality of its subject. Actually, I would rather read gush about anyone than poisonous innuendo and all of that is just worse when it comes to Michelle, for some mysterious reason.

The fans don't reflect on Michelle at all, in my opinion. Until I see confirmation (videotapes, photographs) that she is bent on world domination with a cadre of Kwan revolutionists, I will continue to judge her by her own history, actions, and words which are innocuous at worst and inspirational at best. This dislike continues to be a mystery to me. I didn't care for a good many skaters (and don't really have a strong opinion about Michelle), but I can't imagine posting comments about them like the ones I have seen about Michelle.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alright, seems I got a little farther into that than I should have. Now since someone else responded since I posted above, let me respond to that.

swannanoa54 said:
See, I'm with Mathman. I don't understand why anyone gets upset over comments by Kwan's fans. I certainly don't get upset over comments made by Cohen's fans and there have been more than a few made by them as well. Every skater has fans that are only fans of that skater. I know that some fans have only started watching figure skating more avidly since Kwan, some since Cohen. Some, like me, have watched since Fleming won her OGM.

It's not comments from Kwan's FANS, you understand. It's the fanatical "can-do-no-wrong" and "if you don't agree with me, you're going to h!!!" that gets to me and others as well. There is a difference between admiration and pure fanaticism (I like to call it "worship" because these are the fanatics that dedicate a room in their house as a "shrine" to that person). That's what the fans must grasp as well.

I just take the comments with a grain of salt because with every comment made, there's always some truth in it. Like the "jealousy" comment that Show made. Whether non-Kwan fans like it or not, there is a grain of truth in that statement. The more anti-Kwan fans (not saying that's anyone here) do show signs of "jealousy" because Kwan seems to get more news coverage even when she doesn't skate at a competition. Do I think that's fair? Certainly it isn't, at least not to the skaters who are competing, but I understand that's how the journalists make their moolah, so to speak.

I don't doubt this. Sure, there are those that are jealous because their faves aren't getting the attention that MK is getting. But you see, there's more to it because I don't even have a favorite and some of this extreme behavior and "I told you so" attitude by some of Kwan's more rabid fans gets to me. So there are two groups in that sense.

I, personally, have always been a figure skating fan first and foremost. Kwan has been my favorite skater for a very long time (but I didn't like her when she first skated, so go figure that out). I have three up-and-coming favorites that will fill that spot when she retires-Hughes/Taylor/Czisny and maybe Meissner.

Glad you think there's life after the Kwan ;) :laugh: anyway, I agree. There are many performances that wow you and tempt you to become a fan of that skater. It hasn't happened to me yet, and the way things are going, probably never will, considering after the Olys, my days in the "skating world" are numbered.

I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :rock: :chorus:

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
On the predictions that MK will win- I don't know whether to laugh, not do anything, or just shake my head. I know not to count anyone out, but man- she hasn't competed all season! I don't exactly expect her to win or anything...I DO expect her to live up to her own hype and skate all out "from the heart". Will that be enough to win? I don't know, and don't think so. But it might be enough to upset someone for yet another Olympic medal.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Why can't each poster be judged on their own actions, instead of being lumped in under a specific title?
People post about Kwaniacs as if it is a dirty word or something. I would consider myself a Kwaniac, which according to my definition is just someone devoted to her. I don't get bothered by folks who say they are going to eat chicken or junior mints .. who cares really? I also try not to get snarky about other skaters, but I'm sure sometimes I fail. Hey, I'm human! ;)

There are plenty of folks on both sides of the Kwan coin ... so there really is enough blame to spread around. Can't we all just call a truce and try and enjoy this Olympics?

mzheng

Record Breaker
swannanoa54 said:
I also thought that Kwan used the injury rule as she is allowed to. That others before her have used this rule without all the hoopla and "she/he shouldn't go because so and so got 3rd at Nationals" has absolutely stunned me. And this is from a lot of posters across the boards who "say" they are fans of figure skating. If they are, then why aren't they glad we are sending our best skaters and that one of our best was injured at the time of Nationals?

Yesterday, every tidbit of news I heard about Kwan's test skate prefaced it by saying Emily lost her spot. It made me want to call them up and say "Emily never HAD a spot".

I agree that's the most irritated part. It's not like it's first time happened.....It almost like MK made the pre-Olympics media frenzy (at least in US) more than what it would be had she attended the US Nationals.

It's just crazy, at one hand there was negative comments on how MK's bye was based on her endorsments that put money on her, wanted her ads for them; on the other hand when they knew it was done by following the rules (and an enhanced rules by allow media attending in monitoring process), they still kept help fanning the fire, giving it more media attention and ads......What a circus run!

Last edited by a moderator:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42

I agree with Show. And just like all Kwan fans are not Kwaniacs, Show did not say that ALL of the fans of other skaters were jealous, but that in her opinion (which I share) those that have so much Kwan hate. It is a fact that she has received more press, good and bad, during and post Nationals and during 4C than the winners of those competitions. It also happened post Nagano. Outshining the winner doesn't mean that someone thinks that she is better than the winner. IMO it means that she gets more attention, folks seem to be more interested in her. I really think that is because she has been on the scene for so long that she has had the opportunity to attract more fans. Fans who have invested themselves in an athlete, rock star, or any performer over that many years tend to be more intense and loyal.

Unfortunately for Tara, Jenny, Sarah, Sasha, and all of the other gals who have come on to the scene during the Kwan years, it has been mostly just bad timing. In the middle of Tonya/Nancy Michelle was there and started winning and doing it with grace and class. This won people over. Usually in four years a skater has moved on and another ice queen is crowned. Kwan did not, she stayed another four...and another. During this time she has not made a false step. IIRC firing Frank and requesting the bye are about the only controversial things she has done. Some people find this anywhere from boring to annoying. If Tara had not been injured she might have changed all of this. The same for NNN. Sasha could very well have overtaken her too but she has been injured a few times. The seasons she was healthy she had coaching changes which according to Rgirl sets a skater back from anywhere to six months to a year. Hughes I chose school and didn't keep up her skating skills. Again Kwan lucked out. Michelle might still have won over these ladies but we will never know.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :rock: :chorus:

Rgirl
From your mouth to Skating God's ear. :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Piel said:
IMO it means that she gets more attention, folks seem to be more interested in her. I really think that is because she has been on the scene for so long that she has had the opportunity to attract more fans. Fans who have invested themselves in an athlete, rock star, or any performer over that many years tend to be more intense and loyal.

Very well said. Logical and reasonable.

Red Dog said:
On the predictions that MK will win- I don't know whether to laugh, not do anything, or just shake my head. I know not to count anyone out, but man- she hasn't competed all season! I don't exactly expect her to win or anything...I DO expect her to live up to her own hype and skate all out "from the heart". Will that be enough to win? I don't know, and don't think so. But it might be enough to upset someone for yet another Olympic medal.
RD - That hype business really gets to you.:laugh: It seems you constantly confuse hype with posts in Forums. They are not the same thing. I know several skating fans who hate forums., for reasons I really don't want to go into but it has nothing to do with the skaters.

The Lady was a news item. A controversial one at that. Her fans stood by her. Her antifans were appalled. So what. Ignore it all and move on. It's not good to hold onto something you have no control over. I actually care.:)

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joe- I'm referring to when Kwan said HERSELF in the conference that she would like to skate all out "from the heart". Let's see if she actually does it!

Red Dog said:
Joe- I'm referring to when Kwan said HERSELF in the conference that she would like to skate all out "from the heart". Let's see if she actually does it!
RD - Let's see. She did that once in tears if you remember her 02 Olys exhibition number. too bad she didn't do it in her competitive skate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I remember that she did. I didn't watch it live but saw a tape afterward.

However, the past is of absolutely no concern at the moment. I have no doubt that she's capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate that her fans will just dig. But the question is, will she fill it with enough technical content to grab the medal or the win over Irina and crew?

heyang

Record Breaker
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. It's bad enough that we debate what has already happened, but I see little point in speculating as into what will happen when it is totally beyond our control. Que sera, sera.

Although Michelle's my favorite, I'm not counting on her getting the gold. However, I don't wish any of the other skaters misfortune.

I just want the competition to be about who skates best - not who falls the least.