Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Kwan Test Results

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Chuckm, actually, from everything I've read, I think that Emily herself is pleased with the success she has had this year, culminating with the honor of being named to the World team. I do not see any evidence that the Hughes family tried to influence anyone unfairly. There is no reason to pick on Emily just because we are happy that Michelle skated OK yesterday.
    Well you never know.

Down With It
    Well, to start, I think the hatred is not so much MK herself as it is her FANATICS. Sure, there are those that will take any opportunity to shoot her down but in this argument, one (conveniently?) forgets the other group- the Kwan worshippers. I think that particular group gets on people's nerves and they take out their anger on the skater rather than the skaters' fans. It's sometimes a turnoff how certain people think MK is "the Kween", above everyone else, can do no wrong, etc. She is HUMAN. She has flaws just like you and me.

I say it's people's perogative whether they want to like her or not. No one should force somebody to like this person, or shame them for not liking this person. It's just a matter of favorites.

That said, with MK going to Torino, this discussion is basically over. I'm sick of hearing about how Emily is being "robbed", etc. It just gets me back to the "Kwan's being handed this spot just because she's MK" frame of mind, and I don't like that. Let's just "stop the hating and enjoy the skating".

JMO

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    She is HUMAN. She has flaws just like you and me.

JMO
    None says she isn't HUMAN. History prove she is human, otherwise she won't lost, she won't have injuries, etc.....Just because she is human and yet able to do what she does, that make her more admirable for her fans.

Custom Title
    The USFSA allows for a competitor to request an injury bye, they have granted MK one, and deemed her fit to compete. MK, though recently recovered from a series of injuries, is also a proven competitor who is generally very consistent. People criticize her for not competing under the COP, but in the 2005 Worlds, she was 4th under the COP, so how bad can she be? Emily is charming and talented, but is unproven on the international level. MK, if healthy and fit, can perform well enough to make the podium, and certainly could have a top five finish (the qualifier of course is "if healthy and fit.") I don't consider Emily to be a poduim contender at the Olys. Of course, she might have surprised everyone if given the chance. Still, I agree with the USFSA's decision.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42

Remarks like you make are reasons why non-fans of Michelle react like they do.
    QUOTE "Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner". "That's the mark of a true champion and icon". I don't think it's dislike of Michelle but the dislike of the remarks some fans make. I am a fan of figure skating. Waiting for the news of Michelle's upcoming test skate, I was just as excited and pleased as an of her fans. BUT, when you start making remarks of jealously, other favs "moment of glory" being over-shadowed , even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner, that's the remarks that get's her non-fans in a hissy-fit.

Be proud of her but you don't have to put down other fans and skaters in the process.

Best of luck to Michelle and the other skaters.

Custom Title
    What I don't understand is all the "Emily Hughes loses her spot to the Olympics" statements that were bandied about yesterday. Neither Emily OR Kimmie were guaranteed a spot on the Olympics team and I just don't understand why people think they were. Even more, I don't understand why professed figure skating fans (and not fans of any particular skater) have gotten so eaten up over Emily not going to the Olympics. Personally I enjoyed watching Emily skate at Nationals. I like her much better than I do Kimmie Meissner, but I also thought Kimmie did a wonderful job and did secure herself a spot on the Olympics team.

I also thought that Kwan used the injury rule as she is allowed to. That others before her have used this rule without all the hoopla and "she/he shouldn't go because so and so got 3rd at Nationals" has absolutely stunned me. And this is from a lot of posters across the boards who "say" they are fans of figure skating. If they are, then why aren't they glad we are sending our best skaters and that one of our best was injured at the time of Nationals?

Yesterday, every tidbit of news I heard about Kwan's test skate prefaced it by saying Emily lost her spot. It made me want to call them up and say "Emily never HAD a spot".

soogar, I didn't know you had a crystal ball that you could look in and read Emily's figure skating future or lack thereof. I certainly hope she sticks around until 2010 because she and Katy and Alissa are 3 of my favorite up-and-comers to keep watching for.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by millie
    Remarks like you make are reasons why non-fans of Michelle react like they do.
    QUOTE "Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner". "That's the mark of a true champion and icon". I don't think it's dislike of Michelle but the dislike of the remarks some fans make. I am a fan of figure skating. Waiting for the news of Michelle's upcoming test skate, I was just as excited and pleased as an of her fans. BUT, when you start making remarks of jealously, other favs "moment of glory" being over-shadowed , even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner, that's the remarks that get's her non-fans in a hissy-fit.

Be proud of her but you don't have to put down other fans and skaters in the process.

Best of luck to Michelle and the other skaters.

Well said. It's these types of comments that set people on edge. OK, she got to go to the Olys! No need to rub salt along with it, too!

... one (conveniently?) forgets the other group- the Kwan worshippers. I think that particular group gets on people's nerves and they take out their anger on the skater rather than the skaters' fans. It's sometimes a turnoff how certain people think MK is "the Kween", above everyone else, can do no wrong, etc.
    That is the part that I don't get. Why do you find it annoying if someone else wants to adopt a favorite player and gush over her? If a fan thinks the sun rises and sets in Michelle's behind, why not just smile indulgently and go on to the next thread?

As for me, Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O'Meara are going to rip in the Olympics. Navka and Kostomorov are toast. (N&K say, "who?")

(Of courseI I wouldn't post that at the Watanabe and Kido Forum.)

MM

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    That is the part that I don't get. Why do you find it annoying if someone else wants to adopt a favorite player and gush over her? If a fan thinks the sun rises and sets in Michelle's behind, why not just smile indulgently and go on to the next thread?

MM
    ITA . What gets my goat are the fans of one skater who denigrate another, and then swear up and down that they are not fans at all

Custom Title
    Well said. It's these types of comments that set people on edge. OK, she got to go to the Olys! No need to rub salt along with it, too!
    See, I'm with Mathman. I don't understand why anyone gets upset over comments by Kwan's fans. I certainly don't get upset over comments made by Cohen's fans and there have been more than a few made by them as well. Every skater has fans that are only fans of that skater. I know that some fans have only started watching figure skating more avidly since Kwan, some since Cohen. Some, like me, have watched since Fleming won her OGM.

I just take the comments with a grain of salt because with every comment made, there's always some truth in it. Like the "jealousy" comment that Show made. Whether non-Kwan fans like it or not, there is a grain of truth in that statement. The more anti-Kwan fans (not saying that's anyone here) do show signs of "jealousy" because Kwan seems to get more news coverage even when she doesn't skate at a competition. Do I think that's fair? Certainly it isn't, at least not to the skaters who are competing, but I understand that's how the journalists make their moolah, so to speak.

I, personally, have always been a figure skating fan first and foremost. Kwan has been my favorite skater for a very long time (but I didn't like her when she first skated, so go figure that out). I have three up-and-coming favorites that will fill that spot when she retires-Hughes/Taylor/Czisny and maybe Meissner.

Down With It
    Easier said than done. This is not just a case of one, two or even ten fans who adore MK and gush about her to no end. That can be dealt with by ignoring said thread or post. But included in this fanbase is a group of people who put down other skaters and fans in order to "raise" MK up. There is this incessant need to "settle a score" with anyone who doesn't share their viewpoint on kwan. And personally, I can do without that. Maybe some of you guys can, but I can't.

The comical thing? I see poster after poster getting either "ripped on" or "talked to" if they are non-Kwan or anti-Kwan. But let's say someone feels the same way about Irina? Or Cohen? Not a peep. (OK, lately I've been seeing a few Cohen defenders coming out of the woodwork). But that's it for me. This has been played out. Kwannies, enjoy your victory. I'm sure your "Kween" will do well at the Olys.

Mathman, you caught my drift completely. There are many skaters with fervently devoted fans and I see all of those fans post. Their posts are very similar to the Kwan fans' posts. Fan talk is never extremely interesting for the less devoted (example: see my Toller gush/ tirade on a thread! LOL! It would be nothing but Greek to someone oblivious to his appeal). All fans can be tiresome; just don't visit those threads or read through those comments. I think Anti-Kwan stuff is less typical and much more disturbing given the "vanilla" quality of its subject. Actually, I would rather read gush about anyone than poisonous innuendo and all of that is just worse when it comes to Michelle, for some mysterious reason.

The fans don't reflect on Michelle at all, in my opinion. Until I see confirmation (videotapes, photographs) that she is bent on world domination with a cadre of Kwan revolutionists, I will continue to judge her by her own history, actions, and words which are innocuous at worst and inspirational at best. This dislike continues to be a mystery to me. I didn't care for a good many skaters (and don't really have a strong opinion about Michelle), but I can't imagine posting comments about them like the ones I have seen about Michelle.
    Last edited by 76olympics; 01-28-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Down With It
    Alright, seems I got a little farther into that than I should have. Now since someone else responded since I posted above, let me respond to that.

Quote Originally Posted by swannanoa54
    See, I'm with Mathman. I don't understand why anyone gets upset over comments by Kwan's fans. I certainly don't get upset over comments made by Cohen's fans and there have been more than a few made by them as well. Every skater has fans that are only fans of that skater. I know that some fans have only started watching figure skating more avidly since Kwan, some since Cohen. Some, like me, have watched since Fleming won her OGM.
    It's not comments from Kwan's FANS, you understand. It's the fanatical "can-do-no-wrong" and "if you don't agree with me, you're going to h!!!" that gets to me and others as well. There is a difference between admiration and pure fanaticism (I like to call it "worship" because these are the fanatics that dedicate a room in their house as a "shrine" to that person). That's what the fans must grasp as well.

I just take the comments with a grain of salt because with every comment made, there's always some truth in it. Like the "jealousy" comment that Show made. Whether non-Kwan fans like it or not, there is a grain of truth in that statement. The more anti-Kwan fans (not saying that's anyone here) do show signs of "jealousy" because Kwan seems to get more news coverage even when she doesn't skate at a competition. Do I think that's fair? Certainly it isn't, at least not to the skaters who are competing, but I understand that's how the journalists make their moolah, so to speak.
    I don't doubt this. Sure, there are those that are jealous because their faves aren't getting the attention that MK is getting. But you see, there's more to it because I don't even have a favorite and some of this extreme behavior and "I told you so" attitude by some of Kwan's more rabid fans gets to me. So there are two groups in that sense.

I, personally, have always been a figure skating fan first and foremost. Kwan has been my favorite skater for a very long time (but I didn't like her when she first skated, so go figure that out). I have three up-and-coming favorites that will fill that spot when she retires-Hughes/Taylor/Czisny and maybe Meissner.
    Glad you think there's life after the Kwan anyway, I agree. There are many performances that wow you and tempt you to become a fan of that skater. It hasn't happened to me yet, and the way things are going, probably never will, considering after the Olys, my days in the "skating world" are numbered.

Custom Woman
    I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :chorus:

Rgirl

Down With It
    On the predictions that MK will win- I don't know whether to laugh, not do anything, or just shake my head. I know not to count anyone out, but man- she hasn't competed all season! I don't exactly expect her to win or anything...I DO expect her to live up to her own hype and skate all out "from the heart". Will that be enough to win? I don't know, and don't think so. But it might be enough to upset someone for yet another Olympic medal.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast