Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 143

Thread: Kwan Test Results

  1. #91
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    Why can't each poster be judged on their own actions, instead of being lumped in under a specific title?
    People post about Kwaniacs as if it is a dirty word or something. I would consider myself a Kwaniac, which according to my definition is just someone devoted to her. I don't get bothered by folks who say they are going to eat chicken or junior mints .. who cares really? I also try not to get snarky about other skaters, but I'm sure sometimes I fail. Hey, I'm human!

    There are plenty of folks on both sides of the Kwan coin ... so there really is enough blame to spread around. Can't we all just call a truce and try and enjoy this Olympics?

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by swannanoa54
    I also thought that Kwan used the injury rule as she is allowed to. That others before her have used this rule without all the hoopla and "she/he shouldn't go because so and so got 3rd at Nationals" has absolutely stunned me. And this is from a lot of posters across the boards who "say" they are fans of figure skating. If they are, then why aren't they glad we are sending our best skaters and that one of our best was injured at the time of Nationals?

    Yesterday, every tidbit of news I heard about Kwan's test skate prefaced it by saying Emily lost her spot. It made me want to call them up and say "Emily never HAD a spot".

    .
    I agree that's the most irritated part. It's not like it's first time happened.....It almost like MK made the pre-Olympics media frenzy (at least in US) more than what it would be had she attended the US Nationals.

    It's just crazy, at one hand there was negative comments on how MK's bye was based on her endorsments that put money on her, wanted her ads for them; on the other hand when they knew it was done by following the rules (and an enhanced rules by allow media attending in monitoring process), they still kept help fanning the fire, giving it more media attention and ads......What a circus run!
    Last edited by mzheng; 01-28-2006 at 04:09 PM.

  3. #93
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition. 42
    I agree with Show. And just like all Kwan fans are not Kwaniacs, Show did not say that ALL of the fans of other skaters were jealous, but that in her opinion (which I share) those that have so much Kwan hate. It is a fact that she has received more press, good and bad, during and post Nationals and during 4C than the winners of those competitions. It also happened post Nagano. Outshining the winner doesn't mean that someone thinks that she is better than the winner. IMO it means that she gets more attention, folks seem to be more interested in her. I really think that is because she has been on the scene for so long that she has had the opportunity to attract more fans. Fans who have invested themselves in an athlete, rock star, or any performer over that many years tend to be more intense and loyal.

    Unfortunately for Tara, Jenny, Sarah, Sasha, and all of the other gals who have come on to the scene during the Kwan years, it has been mostly just bad timing. In the middle of Tonya/Nancy Michelle was there and started winning and doing it with grace and class. This won people over. Usually in four years a skater has moved on and another ice queen is crowned. Kwan did not, she stayed another four...and another. During this time she has not made a false step. IIRC firing Frank and requesting the bye are about the only controversial things she has done. Some people find this anywhere from boring to annoying. If Tara had not been injured she might have changed all of this. The same for NNN. Sasha could very well have overtaken her too but she has been injured a few times. The seasons she was healthy she had coaching changes which according to Rgirl sets a skater back from anywhere to six months to a year. Hughes I chose school and didn't keep up her skating skills. Again Kwan lucked out. Michelle might still have won over these ladies but we will never know.

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

    Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :chorus:

    Rgirl
    From your mouth to Skating God's ear.

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    IMO it means that she gets more attention, folks seem to be more interested in her. I really think that is because she has been on the scene for so long that she has had the opportunity to attract more fans. Fans who have invested themselves in an athlete, rock star, or any performer over that many years tend to be more intense and loyal.

    .
    Very well said. Logical and reasonable.

  6. #96
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    On the predictions that MK will win- I don't know whether to laugh, not do anything, or just shake my head. I know not to count anyone out, but man- she hasn't competed all season! I don't exactly expect her to win or anything...I DO expect her to live up to her own hype and skate all out "from the heart". Will that be enough to win? I don't know, and don't think so. But it might be enough to upset someone for yet another Olympic medal.
    RD - That hype business really gets to you. It seems you constantly confuse hype with posts in Forums. They are not the same thing. I know several skating fans who hate forums., for reasons I really don't want to go into but it has nothing to do with the skaters.

    The Lady was a news item. A controversial one at that. Her fans stood by her. Her antifans were appalled. So what. Ignore it all and move on. It's not good to hold onto something you have no control over. I actually care.

    Joe

  7. #97
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    Joe- I'm referring to when Kwan said HERSELF in the conference that she would like to skate all out "from the heart". Let's see if she actually does it!

  8. #98
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Joe- I'm referring to when Kwan said HERSELF in the conference that she would like to skate all out "from the heart". Let's see if she actually does it!
    RD - Let's see. She did that once in tears if you remember her 02 Olys exhibition number. too bad she didn't do it in her competitive skate.

  9. #99
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    I remember that she did. I didn't watch it live but saw a tape afterward.

    However, the past is of absolutely no concern at the moment. I have no doubt that she's capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate that her fans will just dig. But the question is, will she fill it with enough technical content to grab the medal or the win over Irina and crew?

  10. #100
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,226
    I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. It's bad enough that we debate what has already happened, but I see little point in speculating as into what will happen when it is totally beyond our control. Que sera, sera.

    Although Michelle's my favorite, I'm not counting on her getting the gold. However, I don't wish any of the other skaters misfortune.

    I just want the competition to be about who skates best - not who falls the least.

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

    Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :chorus:

    Rgirl
    Rgirl, how you gonna type if you bite off all your appendages?

    I don't doubt this. Sure, there are those that are jealous because their faves aren't getting the attention that MK is getting. But you see, there's more to it because I don't even have a favorite and some of this extreme behavior and "I told you so" attitude by some of Kwan's more rabid fans gets to me. So there are two groups in that sense.
    Actually I think there are more than just two groups out there. See, I read a lot from Cohen extremist fans and Slutskaya extremist fans (though not as much there). To me, there are mainly two camps of extremist fans, Kwan and Cohen. I don't know why nor do I care really. In some cases I think a lot of the fans are very young and very intense. But then again I've run into some who are my age that make me roll my eyes. I do not like Cohen's skating. It leaves me cold in so many different ways. But I was happy for her when she won Nationals. I think her winning was overshadowed by the "will Kwan get the bye" in a sense and that upset some of her more extremist fans. I also think Kwan extremist fans put an asterisk next to Cohen's win because Kwan wasn't there.

    If you look at figure skating fans in general, most aren't so fanatical about it. I am not a Kwaniac, Kwanatic, Cohenhead, or any other thing just because I have a favorite skater. And what's going to happen when they both retire? Will there then be the Meissnerites, Taylormades, Liangadores, Hughesettes and Czisnyatics? Or will the extremists leave figure skating fandom for good when Kwan and Cohen are gone? Almost makes ya go ...hhhhmmmmmmmm.......

  12. #102
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,135

    Well, since we're having a group therapy session....

    I'm kidding with that.

    As one of those "fan of the sport" types, here is the only thing that bothers me about people who gush on about a particular favorite. Posters who have a seeming need to put others down to raise up their favorite.

    Using this thread (and other related threads) as an example, there have been some posts that to me, were clear put downs of Emily compared to Michelle. Even going as far as to suggest that "Daddy Hughes" was somehow putting family money into....I'm not clear on what Daddy Hughes was precisely being accused of, frankly.

    If there is a skater on the planet who can stand on her own right and competitive merit, it's Michelle. So why are the Emily put downs necessary? If there is evidence that the Hughes family in some way tried to "mess" with the rules and process, bring on the evidence. If there is evidence that Emily has acted like a really poor sport, bring it on.

    This is an example of the sort of thing that I find tiresome as more of a general fan. As far as what I've seen, Michelle has never publically (or privately to my knowledge) ever put down a competitor to raise herself up. That is one of the things I truly admire about her. I realize only a small % of her fans put others down, but why is that? It doesn't seem in keeping with the type of competitor and public person Michelle has always presented herself to be. I would be shocked and apalled if Michelle was ever quoted saying anything like "well, I am better than Emily Hughes for these following reasons:........___________ so the test came out right." So why do some fans feel the need to do that? I haven't seen a thing that makes me believe this test skate or the bye process pitted Emily and Michelle in personal competition with each other. It's just a process, and the rules are well known.

    I still say that Emily has made a huge accomplishment getting to the Oly alternate position, and making the World Team in her first full senior year of competition. And Michelle demonstrated what she needed to, to justify her bye to the Oly team.

    DG

  13. #103
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    I basically agree with you DG, but maybe with a little difference here.

    I am getting quite tired of people saying Michelle took Emily's spot on the Oly team ... Emily never had the spot to begin with ... per the rules. IMO, Emily skated rather poorly in her LP and thus, never made any real case as to why she should go instead of Michelle. I don't consider that to be bashing Emily in any way .. it's just the truth.

  14. #104
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    DG- That's exactly what I'm talking about...in much more detail, of course. I just never understood.

    And saying Emily skated "poorly" is definitely negatively charged. I'm not saying it's a bash, but it's not a fact, either. A fact would be saying she made "so and so" mistakes. For example, she had a hard fall in her LP. Maybe to some that's skating "poorly". Others would say it was alright. Still, some others might say that despite the fall, it was great.
    Last edited by R.D.; 01-28-2006 at 05:57 PM.

  15. #105
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I remember that she did. I didn't watch it live but saw a tape afterward.

    However, the past is of absolutely no concern at the moment. I have no doubt that she's capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate that her fans will just dig. But the question is, will she fill it with enough technical content to grab the medal or the win over Irina and crew?
    RD - I don't think you understand the fans of Kwan. She is indeed capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate. That' exactly what her fans want. Win or Lose it's Kwan Forever. Her fans are really special. Ask Pat Lipinsky.

    Now your point about the technical contents, is well taken, and I agree with you. But you can not get back at the fans if she loses. Yes, it will make all the nonKwans happy but the Kwanfans will still be Kwanfans. That's my point.

    It's best now to relax and enjoy the competition and watch Shizuka win the gold medal. and La Kwan skate her heart out.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •