How do I correctly cite an article? | Golden Skate

How do I correctly cite an article?

CDMM1991

Medalist
I have an article that I want to post but it's not online so I have to just type it up and post it. I'm not sure what the rules are though for me correctly citing it, so as to not infringe on any copyrights.

This is kind of tricky. Technically speaking, you are not supposed to copy out someone else's pubished article at all. You are not even supposed to go to the library and copy an article out of the encylopedia for your own use. But there is a provision in the copyright law that allows copying for what is called "fair use." This is a term that is so vague that no one really knows what it means, but for instance it allows lawyers to quote copyrighted material in legal briefs, it allows newspapers to include representative quotes in book reviews, and the like.

However, no one ever pays any attention to these laws (especially on the Internet) and nobody ever cares, unless you are trying to make money off someone else's work.

So, I would say, give the author and the publication (including volume number, etc.), like you would in a school research paper. Then don't copy the whole thing out, but just parts of it, giving your own summaries of the rest. (Like, "the author goes on to explain that...") That should be OK.

Mathman

Last edited: